Author Topic: Do the evolution. The purpose of the Mantle.  (Read 10679 times)

Re: Do the evolution. The purpose of the Mantle.
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2012, 02:28:19 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
No no bro, in one of the the levels (the library, or 343 Guilty spark) in one of those two levels there is a series of rooms that have like, the whole wall destroyed and burnng. For sure.
Signature.

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2012, 03:04:30 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
Definitely not in the Library, there's no damage there. You're talking about this, correct? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liOLQ2Lss2Y&feature=related#t=00m28s

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2012, 12:40:13 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaekelopterus

The above is what I envision as being an ancestor of the Precursors.

I see them as having become the dominant predators of a large lake system, something akin to the great lakes region of the US, filling an ecological niche similar to today's crocodiles. They may have evolved communication as a form of territoriality, and environmental pressures may have favoured close knit family groups. This then precipitated the creation of language.

The late decline of the larger species in the Euryptid family may have been caused by competition from the Precursors.

Perhaps then, during the early stages of the Permian–Triassic extinction event, geological activity caused problems with the lake system, let's imagine tectonic upheaval caused much of the system to drain, or become uninhabitable, or perhaps opened up the system to larger oceanic predators. The Precursors are then driven onto the safety of land, islands in the lake system, and although its a struggle to live out of water, they aren't left with much choice.

The difficulties of living on the land, and hunting in the dangerous/predator infested waters, drive their mental development, favouring the cunning. Tools, weapons, armour, farming, writing, civilization. The Precursors population grows and so they start to colonize other islands, and the lake shore. Soon a great civilization surrounds the lakes, the large predators are hunted to extinction, and farmlands feed the hungry mouths of the Precursor nation, while the wealthy enjoy the increasingly rare delicacies of the lake that were once their staple foods.

But then... disaster. Calamity strikes, the largest extinction event in Earths history. The sky darkens, it gets harder to breath, it gets cold, and now the Precursors are again fighting for survival. This doesn't happen suddenly though, its a gradual process. The Precursors see the world starting to die around them, and it triggers deep racial memories of being forced up onto the land. When the world around you starts to die there is one way to deal with it. Escape.

The entirety of Precursor civilization is put to work on that goal, to escape the death that surrounds them. Great ships cross the Panthalassic Ocean, searching for the promised land, but everywhere the Precursors go life is struggling and dying. Eventually the Precursors reach the level of technology needed to put themselves into cryogenic suspension. Great bunkers are dug out underneath the ancestral lakes, and the rich, the powerful, and the greatest scientists are all entombed beneath the Pangaean soil.

Time passes. The Precursors awaken to a changed world. 96% of all marine species and 70% of terrestrial vertebrate species have died out. The few Precursors that remain create a new accord. They have seen the fragility of life, and made sacrifices to preserve it.

The Precursors create the Mantle, a code by which all Precursors will abide, declaring that the one defining purpose of intelligent life is to continue. It is the duty of all life to struggle to live, and expand, so that the light of thought may never be extinguished. The weak die so that the strong may continue, and the greatest strength is thought.

So powerful is the Precursor belief in the importance of thought, that they eventually incorporate neuronal material into their technology and architecture. Some Precursors dream of a day where all knowledge will be contained within a single, invincible, universe spanning lifeform, a day when finally the primordial fear of extinction can finally be forgotten forever.

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2012, 03:51:51 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Here's the issue I have with that theory from a paleontological standpoint.

As your image makes clear, Jaekelopterus r. were big guys. I doubt they'd be able to breath on land. Sea mammals started off small and got larger when they returned to the oceans, but you aren't going to have whales getting back on land any time soon. Exoskeleton-covered creatures only got as large as they did due to the oxygen content. The P-Tr extinction obliterated every marine sea scorpion, but their chances on land (in a world where the oxygen content dropped by 60%) would be slim, even if they'd evolved to that point by then. Those aren't optimal chances for survival, and even with the latitude in how long the extinctions took, I don't think there's enough time for them to evolve out of danger, as it were.

I don't buy the Jungian idea of racial memory, but I admit I have little knowledge in that area.

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2012, 04:13:20 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
Here's the issue I have with that theory from a paleontological standpoint.

As your image makes clear, Jaekelopterus r. were big guys. I doubt they'd be able to breath on land. Sea mammals started off small and got larger when they returned to the oceans, but you aren't going to have whales getting back on land any time soon. Exoskeleton-covered creatures only got as large as they did due to the oxygen content. The P-Tr extinction obliterated every marine sea scorpion, but their chances on land (in a world where the oxygen content dropped by 60%) would be slim, even if they'd evolved to that point by then. Those aren't optimal chances for survival, and even with the latitude in how long the extinctions took, I don't think there's enough time for them to evolve out of danger, as it were.

I don't buy the Jungian idea of racial memory, but I admit I have little knowledge in that area.

You've got to have some artistic licence. And Euryptid's had gills, and fossil tracks have been attributed to them. I'd love for them to have an underwater civilization, but I can't conceive of a way that could work. Fire is important.

Racial memory is tricksy. I mostly used it for narrative effect lol. But then humans are still afraid of eyes in the dark and big teeth, so...

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2012, 06:21:28 PM »

Postmortem

• Forward Unto Dawn Writer
  • Veteran
  • No. There is more. But you are not worthy. Not yet
You guys are all overlooking the part in Cryptum where it says the Precursors were assumed to have seeded the eurypterids on Earth.

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2012, 06:50:23 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
You guys are all overlooking the part in Cryptum where it says the Precursors were assumed to have seeded the eurypterids on Earth.

I had indeed forgotten about that. According to http://www.halopedian.com/The_Timeless_One its says in Cryptum that they were seeded on multiple worlds by the Primordials. This could well be an assumption on the part of the Forerunners.

Its possible that lesser species of Euryptid were used as pets/test animals by the Precursors.

This doesn't invalidate my theories though. It really boils down to two questions: Are the Precursors related to Euryptids? (heavily implied yes) Are Euryptids native to Earth? (Most likely)

Conceivably you could have alien Precursors that found and took a fancy to (unrelated) Euryptids (from earth or elsewhere) and took them everywhere because Euryptids were like cute little Precursor pets. (If you wanted to make things all tie up with a neat little bow, you could have Precursors discovering the Flood the same way humanity did, and bonding it with their pets)

You could have Precursors and Euryptids related, but from another world, and the Precursors introduced them into earths ecosystems 490 mya (this brings us back to the time frame issue, if the Precursors introduced Euryptids to Earth, they were spacefaring 490 mya, vs my adventurous speculations putting them at space travel 250 mya)

[You could have them unrelated, but both arising on Earth, perhaps Euryptids being an engineered lifeform in their own image. But this one is the least supportable option, as there is no evidence in the fossil record of earth that a Euryptid-like species evolved on earth before the Euryptids.]

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2012, 07:00:20 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
Forerunner students of the Mantle also hypothesized that the Precursors may have imposed a geas on the Forerunners themselves.

Perhaps the urge to self-terminate?

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2012, 07:49:00 PM »

Postmortem

• Forward Unto Dawn Writer
  • Veteran
  • No. There is more. But you are not worthy. Not yet
Forerunner students of the Mantle also hypothesized that the Precursors may have imposed a geas on the Forerunners themselves.

Perhaps the urge to self-terminate?

That... would be crazy. Really cool idea though. So no matter what they were always doomed to fail no matter how hard they fought it.

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2012, 08:45:08 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site

LEAKED HALO 4 SCRIPT: FLASHBACK SEQUENCE
INT: ARK CONTROL ROOM
Two FORERUNNERS are standing by the ARK CONTROLS.

Beat.

FORERUNNER 1
Huh.

FORERUNNER 2
What?

FORERUNNER 1
Oh, nothing.
Beat.

FORERUNNER 1
It's just... don't you wanna know if this whole thing works? I mean, if they got their math right?

FORERUNNER 2
What do you mean?

FORERUNNER 1
Why don't we try activating it and just see what happens?

FORERUNNER 2
See if it wipes up all out?

FORERUNNER 1
Yeah.

Beat.

FORERUNNER 2
Sure, I guess. It is a Tuesday.

FORERUNNER 1 activates ARK. Everyone dies.