Author Topic: Halo 4 Specializations  (Read 3850 times)

Halo 4 Specializations
« on: August 15, 2012, 01:19:21 AM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
  • This is the way the world ends
So we've got some pretty big news on the multiplayer front that also effects Spartan Ops,  provided by David Ellis via IGN:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/15/halo-4-specializations-will-change-halo-multiplayer-forever

Basically, we have 10 specialization classes, 2 of which are available for owners of the standard edition at launch with the rest being unlockable and the limited edition owners get all ten at launch (Score!)

Check out the article for a full description of each class.

So what do you see as the specialization that you will be using most often? It seems like everyone will be spamming he hell out of the pioneer class since it (somewhat) boosts the xp you get, but I have a feeling that will change as more owners of the standard edition unlock other classes.

They all sound amazing, and I can't say for sure which one I think I will use most. But the Operator class really appeals to me as a certified UNSC vehicle operator :D reduced stopping force from an EMP blast and even a repair ability that happens while driving? I WILL BE UNSTOPPABLE! *takes a laser to the face* damn it. I need a better 'Hog gunner. Any takers?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 02:19:26 AM by Sixftunder »
Praise Bird Jesus!

Re: Halo 4 Specializations
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 02:09:11 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
Would have been nice in the tank on Sandtrap BTB a million years ago.

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 02:24:04 AM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
Would have been nice in the tank on Sandtrap BTB a million years ago.

Well now that we have time travel for multiplayer, you will be able to do just that!  ;)
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 02:28:58 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
I doubt it. For a game with huge open campaign levels with awesome driving sections, they sure shy away from vehicles in multiplayer.

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 02:57:54 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
Ok, so now I'm confused. Does the armor tie into the specializations (ie., a visual indicator?) The thing that's bothered me most about AAs and these specializations is the idea that I would have no clue going into a Firefight what specializations they have. I'd really like some sort of visualization, but how does this tie into the helmets and such we've already seen?

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 03:04:35 AM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
That's a good question. I would imagine these "mods" or specializations are not armor specific. As in, you can have a Recon helmet and still select any of the specializations you have unlocked.

I'm going to send a tweet to Waypoint and Mr. Ellis to see if we can get clarification.

Edit: I should have known someone already asked it, but I believe my assertion above is correct:

https://twitter.com/DavidEllis/status/235533265036013569
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 03:07:18 AM by Sixftunder »
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 03:15:23 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Ah, sadface :(

None of these specializations seem incredibly powerful in theory, but at the same time they don't really have "downsides"--they're an added bonus, and the only negative is the tradeoff. That makes me concerned that spamming one specialization (the Nemesis one comes to mind) could start turning the game into a troll-fest.*

*This is said with the knowledge that general matchmaking is a mish-mash of people who don't think strategically about AAs in general. Not sure if this would change the status quo or not. I doubt it would matter for the "pro" guys who will likely be toning down or stripping out these features in general.

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 04:48:08 AM »

viking033

• Rookie
All this sounds great and all but are these modllos armor specific or are they just showing the type of armor that looks cool with it?

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 07:14:16 AM »

That Gunslinger

• Veteran
  • Forerunner Tank: Awesomeness would ensue.
Screw Pioneer, operator is where it's at! With both Operator and Pathfinder combined, all of matchmaking SHALL BE DESTROYED! MUHAHA- *ahem*.
I can almost hear it now: "SUNDAY DRRRRRIVER!" So many cliffs are going to be driven off man, you don't even know.
Thanks 343, seriously. The rest of the specializations sound cool, but not too overpowered.

And I'm glad that the specializations aren't armour specific since that would reduce customisation options, though I understand why you would want them (but I'm going to be a stealthy guy that has a small helmet and giant shoulder armour in the game and like 12 knives on him cuz dat meeans dat i r teh bestest at teh halo combat dissolved 4: teh retuhrn of mater cheef.)

GOTY EY

"Life is trial Riser."
"For little Elephants as well."

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 10:19:03 AM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
All this sounds great and all but are these modllos armor specific or are they just showing the type of armor that looks cool with it?

Viking: See post below

That's a good question. I would imagine these "mods" or specializations are not armor specific. As in, you can have a Recon helmet and still select any of the specializations you have unlocked.

I'm going to send a tweet to Waypoint and Mr. Ellis to see if we can get clarification.

Edit: I should have known someone already asked it, but I believe my assertion above is correct:

https://twitter.com/DavidEllis/status/235533265036013569

Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 04:08:08 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
Also, nothing beats Elite Pilot armor.

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 06:51:09 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
Dave; in terms of "determining what specialization they are" it could be something that is visible when viewing the scores (like if you hit back button)

Or MLG players could actually possibly make use of these features; i feel like they would add a lot of strategic depth to the game; choosing the right composition of specializations and such.
But that is unlikely i know.

Looks groovy; i'll probably be going tracker till i unlock the helmet [looks like the scout-trooper helmet from episode 6: LOOOVVE]; but then switching to rogue for the armor and armor-mod; [yes; in that order :P   ] and then i... Not that I would use any of the armor mods to their potentials though.... Especially when i'm just playing action sack and zombies :D

Edit: here is the official source from 343. Nothing different except a little bit nicer pictures of them armors; Also shows pictures of a bunch of armor skins: they look real nice :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 08:51:17 PM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 07:25:50 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
I see no link :)

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
link is a /url :  just click on "here is the official source"

it should appear as blue

EDITL nevermind; just go to yesterday's bulletin
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 08:58:37 PM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 09:30:26 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Ah, didn't see the link on mobile or whatever--low screen contrast and this forum theme don't really go hand-in-hand :D