Author Topic: Sexy New Weapon  (Read 17136 times)

Re: Sexy New Weapon
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2012, 10:55:22 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
  • This is the way the world ends
Yeah, I was still hoping for like an Arc canon that shoots electricity or something, they could also do some kind of "flame thrower"-style weapon, where it deals damage to things withing a certain range and spread, as long as they remain in that area...

And also, yeah, i just saw the jackals! WTF 343?!?!?!?!!?

Another point ive been thinking about is this title of "storm-" that has entered into the Covenent sandbox. We have "storm-grunts" (curtesy of that toy-box) and the "storm-rifle". Which are basically variants of things in the covenent already, but radically overhauled and changed. (the name Storm-grunts refers to the shark grunts)  I was wondering if "storm-" is the prefix used by the covenent splinter-rebels that we are fighting. And the "storm-Covies" have bred/recruited their own savage variants of most of the races. (so these jackals would be the "storm-Jackals")
  Just a thought.

Well, according to this Machinima video, complete with no sources, your thought seems to hold true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HXw7wwRhLE&feature=g-user-u

Skip to about one minute in.

Assuming what is stated actually is true, I did have the following thought:

Why does this faction even exist? Granted, I'm sure it would be explained in game at some point, but the video states that this rogue faction embraces the prophet's ideology. How is that possible? After the great schism, didn't Truth, the last remaining "prophet" take all of his forces through the portal to the ark? I mean, I dont think that was ever fleshed out, but I think it is safe to imply they did, so wouldn't all of those that still followed Truth have died there as well? Didn't all of the elites despise the Prophets after the brutes took over? Why would any of the elites follow this faction?

« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 11:33:57 PM by Sixftunder »
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2012, 11:29:40 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
This was a random thread to resurrect for this line of thinking :P

I'd take everything that guy says with a grain of salt, considering he thinks the good old Jackals will still be around in Halo 4 :|

That said, he's mostly right about what we know about the Storm, extrapolating from Glasslands. The "fundamentalist" faction Telcam joins with aren't pro-Prophet, they're "pro-Forerunner". They still believe in the Forerunner's divinity, and think that some of Arby's tales about the fate of the Forerunners amounts to heresy. So it seems they really still believe in the Great Journey, or at least some promise of transcendence through Forerunner tech.

« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2012, 11:33:03 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero

I wanted to quote the original picture and Tar's thought, but I didn't think I could quote something from one thread and move it into a new thread.

Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2012, 11:44:08 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
I wanted to quote the original picture and Tar's thought, but I didn't think I could quote something from one thread and move it into a new thread.

Its called Control-C, and then you hit the quote buttun; and then press Control-V
Quite simple really ;D

And i would point out, that while i haven't seen the video, being pro-Forerunner (ie: telcam and Co) is the same thing as embracing the prophet's ideals; Cause the prophet's ideals were pro-forerunner. You could embrace the prophet's ideals, while still hating the prophets themselves.
Signature.

« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2012, 12:35:25 AM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
I see your points. So did you guys already figure this next part out?...

The Kilo-Five series' sole purpose is to establish the reason behind the "Storm" faction of the Covenant we will be fighting in Halo 4. I just saved you the time and money you would have spent reading glass harder and glass hardest.  :D Your welcome.

And of course, the Forerunner trilogy will establish what this new ancient enemy is, and apparently this weapon stored in Requiem, according to Machinima. One of the exhausted attempts that was made to stop the flood before the firing of the array? Can there be a weapon for devastating than the Halo array?
Praise Bird Jesus!

Re: Sexy New Weapon (And Even More Weaponry!)
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2012, 01:56:53 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
We'll hafta' find out! *Dun dun dun*

But since you've resurrected this thread about weapons, time to feast our eyes on some new weapons (I assume the entire human arsenal).

http://halo.xbox.com/blogs/Headlines/post/2012/08/08/The-Halo-Bulletin-8812.aspx

My takeaways:
*Medals are simpler than Reach, but far and away improved over the ones we'd seen previously--and a cool effect on their fade-ins.
*The Sniper no longer has the really ugly hose.
*I like the progression of the shotgun. It's more streamlined-looking than Reach, and while not as elegant as the simple CE-3 versions, looks pretty nice.
*SAW, meanwhile, is sort of a throwback as far as canon, but it looks like it will have an interesting niche role in theory.
*Urgh still ALL CAPS MIDDLE TEXT that I'm not a fan of, at least in conjunction with the VO. One or the other, please (preferably the audio.)
*They referenced the fact that animations with the pistol are faster, which I think is a fantastic way to make it more powerful while keeping it a sidearm--make it a quick-pull finisher.

« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2012, 06:32:03 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
Im loving the SAW too, although i'll definately just be calling it the "tommy gun." Six will probably call it his "Little Friend" cause he's italian ;D
Signature.

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2012, 10:32:23 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
Im loving the SAW too, although i'll definately just be calling it the "tommy gun." Six will probably call it his "Little Friend" cause he's italian ;D

I'm not sure I get the reference Tar........ ;D

Image courtesy of my Russian friend Noelemahc from Holdtheline.com

I think the SAW is a welcome addition to the UNSC arsenal, and frankly, I'm surprised we haven't seen something like it in previous titles. It's like having a dismounted turret with (presumably) smaller caliber ammunition that does less damage, but has a higher rate of fire and doesn't slow you down, although the recently announced Pathfinder specialization will allow you to move somewhat faster with a detached turret.

I also wonder if the title SAW is an acryonym for something (Semi-autmomatic weapon doesn't seem to apply :P). I suppose it could also just means it will saw your ass in half.

But while we're on the subject on new weapons, it seems that a new Forerunner weapon may have been leaked in the UNSC arsenal video that just recently came out. I hate to say that I found this out through Machinima because I'm not a fan of this series, but nonetheless, it is a good find:

This was the only still frame I could find, but you can also see it in the video I mentioned below (skip to about 2:50):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4-9cGqcfGo

« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 10:37:38 PM by Sixftunder »
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2012, 11:13:16 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
SAW stands for squad automatic weapon. It's supposed to be an automatic weapon that's still portable enough to be operated by one person--usually they also use the same rounds as assault rifles to save on logistics, so I wonder if it spits out the MA5D ammo we're used to...

Still wish the Forerunner weapons were more... Forerunnery.

« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2012, 05:47:54 PM »

Postmortem

• Forward Unto Dawn Writer
  • Veteran
  • No. There is more. But you are not worthy. Not yet
That new pistol is called the bolt shot. You can see a better image of it in yesterday's bulletin.

« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2012, 09:02:29 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
Good point; the Bolt shot looks like something from star wars

Although; it is oddly reminiscent of the forerunner pistol-swords we saw in legends:

Another interresting thing i learned from the bulletin is that if you are shot while zoomed in; you no longer get zoomed out. Instead you just flinch
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 09:05:35 PM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2012, 09:31:15 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Well, continuity with weapons we've seen before sounds good :)

It's kind of fun that they just threw in a new weapon without any big notice. I like reveals that aren't hyped up.

« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2012, 09:40:45 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
2 new weapons i believe;I don't think we've seen the suppressor in action either yet
Signature.