Author Topic: Random Post!  (Read 8127 times)

Re: Random Post!
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2014, 12:19:01 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
On unrelated games front, Six, I finished Deadlight. It started out okay but I was just trying to get the damn thing over with by the end. It's got a very nice art style but the platforming got increasingly bad, the voice acting was atrocious, and I felt like I'd seen the plot before a thousand times even though I stay away from The Walking Dead or anything zombie-related.

Good ole Dangerous Predictable Dave :D At least you didn't pay anything for it

Well, what'd you like about it? Dialogue!

Maybe its the genre, maybe its the reward system, but mobas seem to put more weight on game outcomes rather than game content. In Halo I don't mind if I lose if I get an awesome run in a vehicle, or a couple of spectacular kills. I think snowballing may be a part of it as well. And specific roles that must be played, without which there is no chance.

I've played dozens of Halo matches where a shorthanded team has won.

Maybe played 2 in league of legends.

Leavers and trolls are a massive problem in LoL, and their behaviour directly impacts YOUR ranked performance, which is immensely frustrating.

I think you hit a good point on outcomes. I dunno about LoL but I think Dota is actually pretty good about snowballing. Everyone decries feeds, but assuming you have decent teamwork and make it to the late game you can still have close matches. It's hard to stomp the other team 2-1 but crush them early. And the nature of carry heroes means that even an underperforming team has a shot.

What I think is really interesting about Dota 2 is the fact that it shows how lucrative free-to-play is. It boggles my mind when people on NeoGAF admit they've spent nearly $800 on in-game cosmetics.

I've bought... a dinosaur, for my 360 avatar, with points from completing surveys.

Clearly I'm not the kind of person developers like. :D

« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2014, 06:12:31 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
I have a decent graphics card now! Played Stanley Parable (which is awesome). Thinking about trying out Skyrim...

Still umming and ahhing about mobas... don't know if want...

« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2014, 09:41:16 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Skyrim is one of those games through which I learned a lot about my temperament as a gamer. Disregarding the game-breaking glitches, it's a lot of fun and really does sell itself as a realized world that you can set out and do your own thing in. However I realized that I am more interested in a game where I feel like I can actually complete it, and would rather have fewer but more consequential quests than "Oh, Go to [Location X], defeat the boss [Y] and reclaim [Z] from there and bring it back" that form the backbone of the radiant quest system.

So it was fun, but not my cuppa' in that I didn't spend hours lost in the world like some people.

(In order to 100% the game I was forced to break out of one town's invisible walls and clip underneath its geometry in order to find a quest-required NPC who was waiting to talk to me thirty feet underneath the neighboring hillside.)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 09:42:26 PM by DangerousDave »

« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2014, 11:41:18 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
Ah, glitches... one of the first things I did in Stanley Parable was fall in an 'inaccessible' pit, and the console commands are disabled so I had to restart.

« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2014, 04:53:31 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
Capac; you should get Dark Souls II. That game is fantastic!

Or Child Of Light, that game is fantastic too.

(incidentally; I don't think I have any of your steam accounts; my name is TarAlacrin on steam; send me a request)

The reason I don't play moba's is basically cause I've already done it. I played a moba a bunch once, and now I'm done with the genre (at least till heroes of the storm comes out)  because I feel like there is less to be learned from just playing the game over and over.
Also, cause something about moba's as they stand right now just creates a horrible community around them (ergo, all your posts about how mad playing the game makes you)
Signature.

« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2014, 09:56:59 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Capac; you should get Dark Souls II. That game is fantastic!

Or Child Of Light, that game is fantastic too.

(incidentally; I don't think I have any of your steam accounts; my name is TarAlacrin on steam; send me a request)

The reason I don't play moba's is basically cause I've already done it. I played a moba a bunch once, and now I'm done with the genre (at least till heroes of the storm comes out)  because I feel like there is less to be learned from just playing the game over and over.
Also, cause something about moba's as they stand right now just creates a horrible community around them (ergo, all your posts about how mad playing the game makes you)

I kind of agree about MOBAs, in that in Dota I am just playing the same map over and over... but every time I get burned out about that I go back to it fairly quickly :P

Heroes of the Storm just feels like it's three or four years too late at this point...

« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2014, 06:29:47 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero

Heroes of the Storm just feels like it's three or four years too late at this point...
Says the man who is in the middle of talking about how he can't get enough of Dota...

Idk, I feel like the dudes who made the original Dota mod struck gold, but they weren't actually good designers, I feel like they just got lucky; and as a result, they have been too afraid to change anything so we're stuck with the same game not evolving and bettering itself, just throwing more and more characters on the fire.

Thats why I'm excited for Heroes of the Storm; cause I think Blizzard actually sat down and thought about every piece of design and tried to improve it.
Signature.

« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2014, 02:24:05 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site

Says the man who is in the middle of talking about how he can't get enough of Dota...

Idk, I feel like the dudes who made the original Dota mod struck gold, but they weren't actually good designers, I feel like they just got lucky; and as a result, they have been too afraid to change anything so we're stuck with the same game not evolving and bettering itself, just throwing more and more characters on the fire.

Thats why I'm excited for Heroes of the Storm; cause I think Blizzard actually sat down and thought about every piece of design and tried to improve it.

Fair enough; but I'm not sure the formula is the issue given the massive popularity of LoL and DoTA and the fact that no challenger has risen to usurp it (Demigod, Smite, HoN)

« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2014, 03:04:18 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
Meh; I think that most of those games fell into the same traps as the originals, since they are mostly just direct copies with different powers or camera views.
Also, I don't think any game, no matter how good, without a major marketing budget behind it would be able to succeed given the rabidness of the fan-bases behind those two games.
Signature.

« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2014, 12:02:47 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
I'm kinda tempted by Dawngate. It has some very interesting twists on the game, and the meta...

But its published by EA so NOPE.