Author Topic: The Face of Master Chief?  (Read 20002 times)

Re: The Face of Master Chief?
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2012, 05:44:59 PM »

Postmortem

• Forward Unto Dawn Writer
  • Veteran
  • No. There is more. But you are not worthy. Not yet
There's no mystery.  Everything is so straightforward.  From reading Greg Bears books, the librarian came off as a very mysterious, almost magical Galadriel type figure.  In the game she's just a worried mother with a funny hat. (a hat that really does not convey the amazing beauty that the books spoke of)
I think they did a pretty good job... The amazing beauty could have been partly geas

I think they did an amazing job on the Librarian. She is certainly capable of being beautiful by human standards, but I think it's very important that she didn't fall into the "hot" category. To continue with what you said, she was beautiful in the same way Galadriel was beautiful in the films. The actress is certainly very attractive, but doesn't fall into the category of Angelina Jolie/Jessica Alba hotness sorta stuff.

I'm very, very pleased with how the Librarian looked. Matched my expectations.

« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2012, 07:24:29 PM »

That Gunslinger

• Veteran
  • Forerunner Tank: Awesomeness would ensue.
I'm very, very pleased with how the Librarian looked. Matched my expectations.

Me too. Plus the fact that she chose to float everywhere really gave her that ethereal feeling. Her personality was spot-on too, she was a lot like a Forerunner version of Halsey actually... not that I'm hinting at anything...  ;)
"Life is trial Riser."
"For little Elephants as well."

« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2012, 08:38:36 PM »

Postmortem

• Veteran

« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2012, 09:01:10 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
You guys should read this:

http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1162289

I like how he says using humans as robot soldiers is a plot contrivance, when the Didact had vast numbers of humans already composed. Goes to show how big some of the gaps in the halo gamer vs halo reader are.

« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2012, 10:16:14 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...

I like how he says using humans as robot soldiers is a plot contrivance, when the Didact had vast numbers of humans already composed. Goes to show how big some of the gaps in the halo gamer vs halo reader are.

Or maybe some of those composed humans died off when they were fighting the flood. Or were decommissioned when the Didact was imprisoned. Or those masses weren't on requiem. Or maybe not every human's mind is eligible to be turned into a promethean, and so even though he has masses of them, most of those are useless. Or maybe he wants to kill three birds with one stone and build his army, while destroying the "ancient evil" (humanity)'s army, while eliminating as much food and potential combatants for the flood if they were to take over.
Or maybe it was a combination of a few of those reasons.

There are a lot of reasons why he needs more soldiers... You just got to think a little...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 10:26:54 PM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2012, 10:27:16 PM »

That Gunslinger

• Veteran
  • Forerunner Tank: Awesomeness would ensue.

I like that he's trying to think outside the box, but he's wrong for many reasons. Master Chief is not even ancient for a start, and 'evil' is all a matter of opinion. I thought the Didact's motivations were really well explained actually, especially with the terminals.
"Life is trial Riser."
"For little Elephants as well."

« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2012, 01:06:03 AM »

Postmortem

• Veteran

Or maybe some of those composed humans died off when they were fighting the flood. Or were decommissioned when the Didact was imprisoned. Or those masses weren't on requiem. Or maybe not every human's mind is eligible to be turned into a promethean, and so even though he has masses of them, most of those are useless. Or maybe he wants to kill three birds with one stone and build his army, while destroying the "ancient evil" (humanity)'s army, while eliminating as much food and potential combatants for the flood if they were to take over.

There are a lot of reasons why he needs more soldiers... You just got to think a little...

I think the problem is that it's presented as his end-all plan in the terminals, but those who know the fiction can easily get that that's not the case. That's just for people who haven't read the books n whatnot. Dumbing down the plot to its most basic elements.

« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2012, 04:31:12 AM »

Wazooty

• Rookie
  • Dudebro
MC evil?  Is that why didact repeatedly accuses John of being "Noble" and having too much "Nobility"?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 06:35:21 AM by Wazooty »

« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2012, 05:06:57 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
You can have a noble evil... I would consider the Didact to be noble,  but still evil...

Idk, it seems like it could be a large part of his plan... Maybe the H3 terminal plan is contingent on the fact that he has enough Prometheans to man the stations and run the attacks...
Signature.

« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2012, 06:19:42 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero

I'm not saying any of that isn't true, I'm just saying it isn't a contrivance. It is well supported by canon that Forerunners are happy to use humans to operate their machines.

« Reply #85 on: November 09, 2012, 06:37:25 AM »

Wazooty

• Rookie
  • Dudebro
Im convinced Didact sees humans as a threat because they are unfit to save the galaxy from any threats as in if and when the precursors return the galaxy is doomed because it was entrusted to such weaklings.

If they can't even master the covenant, how will they protect everyone from something a million times more sinister and brutal?

« Reply #86 on: November 09, 2012, 06:48:58 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
Im convinced Didact sees humans as a threat because they are unfit to save the galaxy from any threats as in if and when the precursors return the galaxy is doomed because it was entrusted to such weaklings.

If they can't even master the covenant, how will they protect everyone from something a million times more sinister and brutal?

That was the impression I got, but its also quite a flawed opinion for the Didact to have. A cursory glance at humanities history should reveal that they only failed against the covenant due to the Covenant having a technological edge due to FORERUNNER INCOMPETENCE. It would be like saying that a boxer is weak because he was beaten by the guy who found the gun you left in the boxing ring.

I think the real reason for the Didact's animosity is something he doesn't want to admit to himself, hence his attempts to justify and convince himself of it, that humanity challenged his hubris. Humanity put up a better fight than he thought possible, it turned out they weren't aggressively expanding, they were actively trying to defeat an even greater enemy (impossible!), they defeated him in the way that really mattered (hiding their flood 'cure'), and then he became forced to rely on them for his army.

I think I mentioned in another thread that the Didact, Master Builder, and Librarian all represent different aspects of Forerunner hubris, each believing that their way is the only way (although the librarian is seemingly more comfortable with a mixed approach, using lifework, as well as warfare and technology).

« Reply #87 on: November 09, 2012, 08:00:44 AM »

Wazooty

• Rookie
  • Dudebro
Yeah.  While on one side he thinks humans are weak (something we actively prove to him were not in game), he still also thinks forerunners deserve to be in their position, which adds to his want to get rid of them.

Also, yeah, in the terminals, The librarian seemed to be pretty chill with the master builder.  Master builder seemed more neutral than anything.

To win, we must unite all three!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 08:02:58 AM by Wazooty »