Author Topic: The Face of Master Chief?  (Read 19999 times)

The Face of Master Chief?
« on: June 10, 2012, 06:39:30 PM »

Postmortem

• Forward Unto Dawn Writer
  • Veteran
  • No. There is more. But you are not worthy. Not yet
I mean... I doubt it, but I thought it would be interesting to bring it up.

Cortana now has both a voice and a facial actor, MacKenzie Mason. In today's Halo Bulletin, it was revealed that Chief is also acted by two people... Steve Downes (of course) and Bruce Thomas for mocap.

To be quite honest... he kinda looks like Master Chief to me.

Re: The Face of Master Chief?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 07:03:57 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
I dunno, I feel like Master Chief would look a little more intense and battleworn...  But other than that... Yeah He wouldnt be too far off I think...

I think this picture of Steve downs is more probable: :P
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 07:05:37 PM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 07:29:04 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
What the MC looks like is really uninteresting to me. They've done a good job characterizing him other ways. Keeping him faceless is just part of his aura and convention, now--and I dOnt ever see a reason to show his face. If 343i deigns to let the Chief retire, any development would prolly be in the books anyhow.

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 02:08:15 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
deigns?

and yeah, i agree. but its still cool to imagine, dave, geez. you dont have to "poo-poo" every discussion you dont like ;D
Signature.

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 02:25:56 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
I'm gonna' get you a word-a-day calendar, Tar, just you wait...

I have been thinking about if 343i would kill off the Chief or not. I mean, assuming "in the future" that they ever let the universe calm down, the Chief is outmoded, and if they were interested in exploring that it's not something done in a game--that's novel territory. On the other hand, he pretty much went down in a blaze of glory for all intents and purposes at the end of 3 as far as everyone except him and Cortana were concerned. Maybe a more permanent resolution of same is what they have planned.

Or maybe they don't want to kill their star period. When Halsey gives her eulogy to Noble Team, Chief's still beating up Grunts with his MJOLNIR walker.

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 02:27:28 AM »

Postmortem

• Forward Unto Dawn Writer
  • Veteran
  • No. There is more. But you are not worthy. Not yet
I would write up a long winded explanation of how showing his face could really work in the game's favor, but I'm feeling lazy tonight.

Something about chipping away the solid exterior, revealing the true damaged individual underneath, something about a soul, blah, blah, blah...

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 03:27:16 AM »

Wazooty

• Rookie
  • Dudebro
Unless this trilogy is indeed mainly about an vengeful didact/some other forerunner and the precursors don't have a role to play until a third trilogy (something I truly hope isn't true), then if they would show his face, I'd say at the end of this trilogy.  So, theprecursors are defeated or whatever, John shows his face, and the "main" halo story ends.  I would like it to end after this trilogy.  I remember how I thought it was being milked when they announced Halo 4.   I thought "how could they possibly extend the story?  This is dumb"  but now I see it has the chance to get much more epic before it ends, I just don't want it to last for 6 more (main storyline based) games.

SO uh yeah.  Chiefs face at the end of this trilogy.  Story ends.  Any other games are offshoots and side stories.

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 06:09:37 PM »

Daedalius

• Recruit
  • Illustrator of things
    • Galefire Illustration
To be honest, they probably don't even have a face modeled at all underneath his helmet :)

Besides, he'd just look like another bald space marine, and you guys (nor I) want to see that; I'd much rather associate him with his armor/helmet.

Also just won a H4 MC avatar armor from Kiki, will be wearing that until I win a Halo 5 armor.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 06:10:27 PM by Daedalius »

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 06:10:43 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
To be honest, they probably don't even have a face modeled at all underneath his helmet :)

Besides, he'd just look like another bald space marine, and you guys (nor I) want to see that; I'd much rather associate him with his armor/helmet.

I always wondered about that, but I imagined that for most characters their armor "is" them as far as a mesh is concerned. Wasn't sure if the members of Noble Team were an exception or not.

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 06:12:55 PM »

Daedalius

• Recruit
  • Illustrator of things
    • Galefire Illustration

I always wondered about that, but I imagined that for most characters their armor "is" them as far as a mesh is concerned. Wasn't sure if the members of Noble Team were an exception or not.

I've managed to find the models online for Reach and take them apart in 3dsmax, and there aren't faces/heads underneath the helmets regularly (likely for performance reasons), and the faces only show up in cinematics.

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 06:18:02 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site

I've managed to find the models online for Reach and take them apart in 3dsmax, and there aren't faces/heads underneath the helmets regularly (likely for performance reasons), and the faces only show up in cinematics.

'k, that's what I thought.

I always loved MC's "face" in Combat Evolved. Sure, it was done for performance reasons even back then (why bother making a new model for one scene where it won't even be seen?) but it feels like an awesome fakeout for all those people who broke the game camera to see in through the Longsword.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mkiRQVkERg&t=38s

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 06:26:39 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
I mean... Everyone would know if they had faces under the helmet, because people would data mine and find the faces and it would be big news

Also: Anyone know the release date of Forward Unto Dawn?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 07:06:04 PM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 08:17:03 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
The only way I'd want to see 117 without his helmet is at the end of everything.

He takes of his helmet and we see his haunted, sunken eyes, his pale skin, vicious scars, and we know he is finally finished the fight.

Until Halo 42 is announced anyway.

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 11:58:12 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 06:31:19 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
  • This is the way the world ends
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Con5yvHs5x0

We should be grateful H4 is being released in 2012 and not 2011, otherwise that would have actually happened
Praise Bird Jesus!