Author Topic: EVE Online / Dust 514  (Read 3838 times)

EVE Online / Dust 514
« on: June 25, 2012, 08:23:23 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
Play it? Curious? Tempted to buy a PS3 for free to play persistent FPS?

Discuss here.

Re: EVE Online / Dust 514
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 04:36:48 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
Not tempted to buy a PS3, no :)

I've never played EVE. I'm generally not a fan of MMOs in general, although the idea of an MMO FPS aligns more with SOE's Infantry so I'd probably like it more--I enjoy the world persistence, but not the sense of grinding (okay, I take that back, mostly I don't like grinding, which is why I prefer Fable to, say, some JRPG. Golden Sun is I guess the exception, but for most of it you really don't have to worry about just sitting in the woods fighting monsters for years until you level up. I only found that necessary if you didn't import your characters from the other game.)

I'm also not a big fan of the economy stuff from what I've seen in EVE. Then again, conquering the universe with the old Mac OS game Galactica was difficult enough for me.

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 11:19:54 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero

I've never played EVE. I'm generally not a fan of MMOs in general, although the idea of an MMO FPS aligns more with SOE's Infantry so I'd probably like it more--I enjoy the world persistence, but not the sense of grinding (okay, I take that back, mostly I don't like grinding, which is why I prefer Fable to, say, some JRPG. Golden Sun is I guess the exception, but for most of it you really don't have to worry about just sitting in the woods fighting monsters for years until you level up. I only found that necessary if you didn't import your characters from the other game.)

I'm also not a big fan of the economy stuff from what I've seen in EVE. Then again, conquering the universe with the old Mac OS game Galactica was difficult enough for me.

Funny you should mention grinding, because skill training in EVE and Dust is time based, not grind based. Skills keep training even when you aren't logged on.

Golden Sun is awesome, but if you want insanity peppers weapons like the Kikuichimonji in the first game it has like a 0.08% drop rate on mobs in the final dungeon, you gotta grind.

The economy makes things awesome. None of this magically respawning equipment nonsense. If you drive a tank in Dust, the materials for it have been mined by players in EVE, the tank built, sold on the market, and then you drive up to a dude who blows the crap out of it.

People get intimidated by the economy in EVE, but its really no different than the real world. If you just want to buy things you don't need a degree in economics. But if you want to sit in a station all day buying and selling it helps.

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 12:51:08 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site

Funny you should mention grinding, because skill training in EVE and Dust is time based, not grind based. Skills keep training even when you aren't logged on.

Golden Sun is awesome, but if you want insanity peppers weapons like the Kikuichimonji in the first game it has like a 0.08% drop rate on mobs in the final dungeon, you gotta grind.

The economy makes things awesome. None of this magically respawning equipment nonsense. If you drive a tank in Dust, the materials for it have been mined by players in EVE, the tank built, sold on the market, and then you drive up to a dude who blows the crap out of it.

People get intimidated by the economy in EVE, but its really no different than the real world. If you just want to buy things you don't need a degree in economics. But if you want to sit in a station all day buying and selling it helps.

Haha, clearly we didn't play Golden Sun the same way. I just took my time but never really grinded to up my stats. That meant I had to die two dozen times at the final dragon boss in TLA, but I guess I probably still saved myself some time :)

I guess I prefer economies where participation is entirely voluntary. You *could* be a trading maven and make cash watching prices and selling casks of cider or sacks of flour to different stores in Fable and Fable 2, but you could also ignore it entirely.

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 03:45:54 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
You can ignore it in EVE, but if you pay attention to the market its a whole lot more rewarding than a program +/-ing  a virtual market.

One of my EVE buddies has started a station trading account that is paying for its subscription without even leaving the station.

I gave up on trying to get Kikuichimonji. I never got around to collecting all the summons, or fighting the secret bosses like Dullahan either...

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 01:54:35 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
You can ignore it in EVE, but if you pay attention to the market its a whole lot more rewarding than a program +/-ing  a virtual market.

One of my EVE buddies has started a station trading account that is paying for its subscription without even leaving the station.

I gave up on trying to get Kikuichimonji. I never got around to collecting all the summons, or fighting the secret bosses like Dullahan either...

I'm looking to do a full runthrough of both games sometime soon--I've been itching to. There are a lot of things I didn't realize I'd missed, which is cool. Apparently you can force the game to give to a Kikuichimonji encounter, apparently.

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 06:27:17 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
You know there are 3 games now?

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 06:38:30 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site

I refuse to accept that Dark Dawn existed. :)

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 07:31:12 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero

I really ought to finish it sometime.

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 07:34:27 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site

I really ought to finish it sometime.

I barely got to the actual gameplay before I stopped (was using my friend's DS). It really didn't encourage me to keep going. I checked out a walkthough online to save myself a lot of grief over the dialogue. :)

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 01:36:52 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
So I picked up a 160gb PS3 for $230, snagged a Dust 514 beta key, now i just gotta see if my stupid network will behave enough to actually download and play it...

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 09:45:41 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
So I've been playing Dust 514 Beta for a few weeks. It shows a lot of promise.

I will probably play it more than Halo 4 MP if only because I like big open maps to drive tanks, jeeps, dropships around in and Halo always neglects those.

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 02:38:32 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
If I had the money Id join you :)

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 02:55:38 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
Dust is F2P. And I got a PS3 for $230AUS, which is a complete rip off, but cheap for this country.