Author Topic: Go see Spiderman.  (Read 2655 times)

Go see Spiderman.
« on: July 04, 2012, 12:44:52 AM »

Postmortem

• Forward Unto Dawn Writer
  • Veteran
  • No. There is more. But you are not worthy. Not yet
Go see it.

Re: Go see Spiderman.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 03:06:24 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
Hmm... I dunno if your endorsement carries much weight, O Prometheus Lover :P

Nah, I'll prolly see it at some point, but question: did they do the stupid first-person web-slinging in the film? That's an interesting effect but it really undercut for me how you really can't emulate that feeling through image alone.

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 02:49:33 PM »

That Gunslinger

• Veteran
  • Forerunner Tank: Awesomeness would ensue.
Spiderman was my favourite character as a kid, but then the third movie came out... that damned third movie. I'm definitely seeing this, though I doubt it will be as good as the masterfully crafted and may I add flawless Prometheus, though no movie ever will. Film of the year, every year.
"Life is trial Riser."
"For little Elephants as well."

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 03:00:41 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Am I the only one who thought Spider-Man 3 wasn't that bad? I mean, Prometheus' flaws were systemic, but I've always thought (and maybe I should grab a DVD of 3 and put my theory to practice) that a lot of Spider-Man's problems could have be simply cut; the go-go-dancing down the street, the emo stuff, making Topher Grace with CG Venom teeth, etc. To me the issue was that they didn't sell the suit as a dangerous corrupting influence, but I really liked the intersection of all the villains.

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 03:54:38 PM »

Postmortem

• Forward Unto Dawn Writer
  • Veteran
  • No. There is more. But you are not worthy. Not yet
There's only maybe three first person shots in the whole film. I think they're used sparingly enough that they don't get in the way. And... I dunno, I think Spiderman 3's flaw is that it just didn't feel as genuine as the others. Everything felt kind of fake, except maybe, oddly enough, for the sandman's performance. Although making him Uncle Ben's true killer was just a bad move. I dunno. Venom was cool, as was the symbiote... But they still weren't right. The whole thing kind of just felt like fan pandering.

While this was most definitely unnecessary, they managed to stay faithful enough to the comics and the spidey universe to make it very worthwhile. I'll just say they absolutely nailed the action sequences, especially the iconically cheesy banter Parker has with the villains as he fights them. Really comes across as the youngster that he should.

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 04:23:35 PM »

That Gunslinger

• Veteran
I think the issue was that they had some cool character in there, and none of them really got enough screen-time. Obviously Venom should have had his own Spiderman movie (and he's getting his own now actually) rather than just being tacked on. Though I agree that a film with multiple heroes or villains is a brilliant thing t do... if it's done right. And yeah the whole dancing thing, let's not talk about that. It just wasn't a Spiderman movie if that somehow makes sense.
"Life is trial Riser."

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 04:32:38 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site

While this was most definitely unnecessary, they managed to stay faithful enough to the comics and the spidey universe to make it very worthwhile. I'll just say they absolutely nailed the action sequences, especially the iconically cheesy banter Parker has with the villains as he fights them. Really comes across as the youngster that he should.

That was what interested me... they finally got someone who looked like the role (although Garfield is still, what? pushing 30?)

I guess I'd have been far more hyped for a reboot if Marvel had gotten the reins, instead of being stuck in the Sony/Columbia ghetto.

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 04:47:03 PM »

paranoiartist

I know this Spiderman is different from the other three but after seeing Spiderman 3, I'm banking my money on Batman. I'll just wait for the DVD.

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 05:00:25 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Haha, I guess it's my German heritage showing that I'd get major schadenfreude if The Dark Knight Rises is bad :P

Funny story, I visited my uncle and went through some of his old comics and I found a Wizard magazine from c. 1994, where they were complaining about how bad Marvel movies were.

The times, they are a-changing...

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 08:11:26 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
Yeah, Guns, its too early to say that prometheus is movie of the year, cause Dark knight rises will wipe the floor with it, and if The Hobbit p1 comes out this year, it will destroy both of those

Although i did go see spiderman, and it was pretty good, I actually enjoyed it. I liked the cheesy banter a lot, and surprisingly in this movie, Gwen Stacy is my favorite SuperHero girlfriend ive ever seen in any super hero movie, I thought they did her character very well.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 08:14:27 PM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 12:19:27 PM »

That Gunslinger

• Veteran
Yeah, Guns, its too early to say that prometheus is movie of the year

Lol I was being sarcastic. I thought it was terrible. :D
"Life is trial Riser."