Author Topic: Halo: Silentium cover released, dated.  (Read 13210 times)

Halo: Silentium cover released, dated.
« on: July 11, 2012, 07:10:44 PM »

Wazooty

• Rookie
  • Dudebro
http://halo.xbox.com/blogs/Headlines/post/2012/07/11/Tor-Books-Reveals-Title-Cover-Art-And-Release-Date-of-Third-Halo-Novel-By-Greg-Bear.aspx

"In Halo: Cryptum, Greg Bear began a three-book arc set in the era of the Forerunners, the ancient and enigmatic creators and builders of the Halos, which continued in Halo: Primordium. Now, in the last years of the Forerunner empire, chaos rules. The Flood—a horrifying shape-changing parasite—has arrived in force, aided by unexpected allies. Internal strife within the ecumene has desperately weakened Forerunner defenses.

Only the Ur-Didact and the Librarian—a husband and wife pushed into desperate conflict—hold the keys to salvation. Facing the consequences of a mythic tragedy, one of them must now commit the greatest atrocity of all time—to prevent an unmatched evil from dominating the entire universe."

It mentions the "Ur-Didact", which is a prefix meaning first, original. A bit odd considering that last we knew, the born-didact was the one chilling with the librarian.

Looks like the cryptum is on the cover, and judging by the ceiling spire, it's on requiem.   

Shame it's not coming out until after Halo 4.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 07:13:15 PM by Wazooty »

Re: Halo: Silentium cover released, dated.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 07:51:13 PM »

Dejay218

• Recruit
  • Didact
I hope it's on Requiem. The Ur-Didact huh?.. I'm glad the O.G. Didact is coming back.

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 09:20:55 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
Yeah the mention of "Ur-Didact" was interesting to me. It makes me wonder what role Bornstellar/Didact is going to play, since the summary suggests that the Didact of the Halo 3 terminals is in fact the same one as this guy.

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 01:04:04 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
Whats the source on "Ur-" meaning original?
Signature.

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 01:59:46 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Ur is an ancient Sumerian city-state, but Ur in this context is from the German -ur- prefix, meaning old, original, etc. Not sure if the proper name and the prefix are related or not.

So Ur-Didact is the original one, not Bornstellar. An interesting way of differentiating them, I guess.

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 02:05:02 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
How do you know that its german? Forerunner's dont have the german language. It could just be a cool sounding prefix-syllable and they will give us the definition in forerunner culture in the book

And yes i know what Ur was. Thats where abraham was from i believe
Signature.

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 02:57:18 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
How do you know that its german? Forerunner's dont have the german language. It could just be a cool sounding prefix-syllable and they will give us the definition in forerunner culture in the book

And yes i know what Ur was. Thats where abraham was from i believe

That's true but I think it's more likely it's the prefix. The books like the Terminals have been presented as translations with idiomatic interpretations--such as Eden, etc. It'd be interesting to think about what a Forerunner concept of paradise looks like, though.

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 03:02:37 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
Well i mean... that point actually supports a point that no one made; if we go with the tradition of halo--forerunner names for things having tons of biblical references (ark, flood, eden, ark... etc) then Ur actually fits right in :P

On a serious note though, the terminals have presented translations with idiomatic interpretations, that are translated into English... Eden is part of the "English" language... ur- really isnt...

Im not saying you are wrong, cause odds are, you are correct I feel, but your evidence is shakey at best
Signature.

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 03:06:48 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Well i mean... that point actually supports a point that no one made; if we go with the tradition of halo--forerunner names for things having tons of biblical references (ark, flood, eden, ark... etc) then Ur actually fits right in :P

On a serious note though, the terminals have presented translations with idiomatic interpretations, that are translated into English... Eden is part of the "English" language... ur- really isnt...

Im not saying you are wrong, cause odds are, you are correct I feel, but your evidence is shakey at best

Eh, I'd say "Ur" is enough of a loan into English--it's like the perennially overused "uber". After all, we've got Prometheans (Προμηθεύς) and the Didact (διδακτικός), and while the roots of our language are Germanic we've tended to adopt Romance terms for a lot of our "nicer" words. Hell, most of our more elevated terms date from the Norman conquest, while more household or base words remained from the Saxons.

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 03:32:03 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
Google transalate makes people seem very smart

ANYWHO; i cannot, for the life of me, think of ANY words that begin with ur-... And i dont think its fair to say that a figure of language is "basically on loan to English" when it is never used

EDIT: looked it up: these are the words derived from the germanic prefix ur- :
urelement
ur-form
ur-Hamlet
ur-myth
ur-poem
urtext

Have you ever heard of or used any of those 6 words?
So yeah, not really "Common-English"

And furthermore, had they chosen ur-, ir-, uz-, udz- , oer-, or- people would still have drawn the same conclusions, freaking out about how it must mean his, when, in reality, it could have just been 2 letters that they liked how it sounded, and so they were gonna make it mean something in "Forerunner"

And in Greek, the prefix ur- means Relating to Urine. Im not gonna draw any conclusins
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 03:43:55 AM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 08:17:43 AM »

Slightly Live

• Forward Staff
  • Rookie
  • Logical Plague
    • Forward Unto Dawn
I think the name sounds silly Silentium..... sounds like something muttered in Harry Potter.

And suddenly rebranding a character? I don't like it.

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 08:46:26 AM »

Wazooty

• Rookie
  • Dudebro
Is it really rebranding so much as an easy way to differentiate one didact form another?

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 11:08:23 AM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
  • This is the way the world ends
Is it really rebranding so much as an easy way to differentiate one didact form another?

I thought Bornstellar and Didact were an easy way to differentiate them.... you don't assume one's name through a brevet mutation, just their knowledge, and memories right?
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 11:33:08 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site

I thought Bornstellar and Didact were an easy way to differentiate them.... you don't assume one's name through a brevet mutation, just their knowledge, and memories right?

I got the sense that brevet mutations were generally a bit less... total in their transferrence. As he says in Primordium, he's Bornstellar now "only in my dreams". Most mutations aren't supposed to suppress the original identity--I think the Didact pulled some extra mojo-transferrence in the likely case he'd be killed.

Since he evidently *wasn't* killed, I wonder where he is. If Faber had him on Installation 07 I'm sure they would have found him by the end of Primordium.

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 01:00:43 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
  • This is the way the world ends
If that is the case, I think the Silentium will be told from the viewpoint of neo-didact. Why else would there need to be that distinction if it was told from someone else like chakas or riser? Even chakas said in primordium that he wonders where bornstellar was, he didn't use didact with some prefix. I suppose it could also be told from the librarians point of view trying to distinguish between her two husbands I guess (the origin of polygamy comes from the forerunners  ;) ).

But I still think it will be told from bornstellar/neo-didact's point of view. Since primordium was about what happened to chakas after being captured by Faber, I think it only makes sense for the next book to focus on what happened to neo-didact after being captured by Faber. Maybe he teams up with ur-didact at some point and that's why there needs to be a distinction between the two. Anyone want to place a wager on neo-didact being killed off in silentium?
Praise Bird Jesus!