Author Topic: Halo: Silentium cover released, dated.  (Read 23542 times)

Re: Halo: Silentium cover released, dated.
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 02:27:38 PM »

Postmortem

• Forward Unto Dawn Writer
  • Veteran
  • No. There is more. But you are not worthy. Not yet
What if Bornstellar is the villain in Halo 4? That's something no one has really considered yet. I'm just picturing conversations with him where the original Bornstellar is fighting to regain control of the Didact that has replaced him. Could be interesting.

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 02:37:46 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
Google transalate makes people seem very smart

ANYWHO; i cannot, for the life of me, think of ANY words that begin with ur-... And i dont think its fair to say that a figure of language is "basically on loan to English" when it is never used

EDIT: looked it up: these are the words derived from the germanic prefix ur- :
urelement
ur-form
ur-Hamlet
ur-myth
ur-poem
urtext

Have you ever heard of or used any of those 6 words?
So yeah, not really "Common-English"

And furthermore, had they chosen ur-, ir-, uz-, udz- , oer-, or- people would still have drawn the same conclusions, freaking out about how it must mean his, when, in reality, it could have just been 2 letters that they liked how it sounded, and so they were gonna make it mean something in "Forerunner"

And in Greek, the prefix ur- means Relating to Urine. Im not gonna draw any conclusins

The Ur- prefix is 'common' in that it was never really codified into language so much, it was more of a colloquial usage.

It has somewhat fallen out of use recently which is probably why it was used. It kind of sums up a particular philosophy that has also fallen out of fashion that things are created perfect and then fall into decline (whereas more modern notions accept complexity and 'perfection' as being built upon over time).

Most people use the term incorrectly, in a pretentious fashion. The Didact being somewhat 'diluted' by Bornstellar is an example of how it can work.

As another example, one could say that the ancient space-faring human civilisation was the ur-zenith of human culture.

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 02:41:43 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
  • This is the way the world ends
What if Bornstellar is the villain in Halo 4? That's something no one has really considered yet. I'm just picturing conversations with him where the original Bornstellar is fighting to regain control of the Didact that has replaced him. Could be interesting.

I was thinking the same thing when I heard about the ur-didact. I am just having a hard time placing a motive behind it. Perhaps a new summum malum article is required  ;)
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 08:31:44 PM »

viking033

• Rookie
I'm super confused on the whole didact and bornsteller mutations memories and there being 2 or 3 didacts can someone explain this to me.

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2012, 08:44:35 PM »

That Gunslinger

• Veteran
  • Forerunner Tank: Awesomeness would ensue.
I was thinking the same thing when I heard about the ur-didact. I am just having a hard time placing a motive behind it. Perhaps a new summum malum article is required  ;)

I dunno I always saw him as being at the very least tolerable of Chakas and Riser, and actually friends with them. So he would have to have a reason other than "I hate Humans argh!" Seems like a lot of bad stuff could go down in this book though to fuel any conflict.

But I think a Summum Malum article would be very cool. Do one for Johnson too, 'cause he's an obvious possibility. And Chief.

"No! I must kill the Forerunners!" he shouted.
Cortana said: "No John, you are the Forerunners."
Then John was the Didact.
"Life is trial Riser."
"For little Elephants as well."

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2012, 09:00:45 PM »

Wazooty

• Rookie
  • Dudebro
Zomg John has the imprint of one of the didacts in him.

Didact fight.

It will be...didactic.

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2012, 09:45:12 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
Zomg John has the imprint of one of the didacts in him.

Didact fight.

It will be...didactic.

*Like*

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2012, 11:06:20 PM »

Wazooty

• Rookie
  • Dudebro
One thing that I did think would've been cool, when the only info about halo 4 we had was based on cryptum, was if master chief goes around finding these terminals that the didact stored his memories in, and akin to bornstellar getting the didacts memories, chief gets them.  The catch being that you actually play though the memories.  So it's kind of like assassins creed in that respect.  Half the game takes place through the chiefs eyes, half takes place through Didacts eyes (via the chief).

Then by the end of the game, chief has all of Didacts memories and er...becomes the Didact?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 11:08:17 PM by Wazooty »

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2012, 12:04:11 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
One thing that I did think would've been cool, when the only info about halo 4 we had was based on cryptum, was if master chief goes around finding these terminals that the didact stored his memories in, and akin to bornstellar getting the didacts memories, chief gets them.  The catch being that you actually play though the memories.  So it's kind of like assassins creed in that respect.  Half the game takes place through the chiefs eyes, half takes place through Didacts eyes (via the chief).

Then by the end of the game, chief has all of Didacts memories and er...becomes the Didact?

Not gonna happen. It would be the cawadoody 'wah who is dis arbituh' all over again.

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2012, 12:36:13 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site

Not gonna happen. It would be the cawadoody 'wah who is dis arbituh' all over again.

Yeah, it'd be cool, but I don't see it happening. At least not insofar as actual gameplay.

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2012, 05:31:55 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...

I remember talking about this, or reading about this, somebody brought it up a while ago, think it was capac, not sure though. But yeah, its definately a possibility

Is it really rebranding so much as an easy way to differentiate one didact form another?
I thought Bornstellar and Didact were an easy way to differentiate them.... you don't assume one's name through a brevet mutation, just their knowledge, and memories right?

Well, where do you get your name from? if not your memories?

I'm super confused on the whole didact and bornsteller mutations memories and there being 2 or 3 didacts can someone explain this to me.

There are 2 Didacts.  "the Didact" (the original) was born and raised as the didact, the great forerunner warrior who defeated the humans. And "Bornstellar-Didact" who was originally bornstellar, but then through the Original didact's brevet mutation inherited all of his memories
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 05:41:02 AM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2012, 07:10:55 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero

I remember talking about this, or reading about this, somebody brought it up a while ago, think it was capac, not sure though. But yeah, its definately a possibility

Is it really rebranding so much as an easy way to differentiate one didact form another?
I thought Bornstellar and Didact were an easy way to differentiate them.... you don't assume one's name through a brevet mutation, just their knowledge, and memories right?

There are 2 Didacts.  "the Didact" (the original) was born and raised as the didact, the great forerunner warrior who defeated the humans. And "Bornstellar-Didact" who was originally bornstellar, but then through the Original didact's brevet mutation inherited all of his memories

And there could always be more. Those Forerunners are a shifty bunch.

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2012, 09:43:07 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero

I got my name from my parents, more specifically my father. He loved mafia movies in the 80s and wanted to name his son with an Italian name, although I don't have an ounce of Italian heritage. I assumed everyone got their name from their parents  :P
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2012, 02:26:08 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
awe yeah, so they loved the mafia so you got named sixftunder... Seems Legit

Anyways, how do you know that? your memory tells you that that is what happened.
Signature.

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2012, 03:41:14 AM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
I know what you mean, I was just trying to be a smartass because you asked where I got my name from  :D

I don't know if you thought I was referring to my username (because it does work with mafia lingo) but I meant my real name. Bet you'll never guess it  ;)
Praise Bird Jesus!