Author Topic: Halo: Silentium cover released, dated.  (Read 24036 times)

Re: Halo: Silentium cover released, dated.
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2012, 04:10:41 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
Tony? lol

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2012, 05:54:37 AM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
  • This is the way the world ends
And Capac wins 50,000 MSP on the first attempt.....just not from me :D

Besides, I don't need memory, I have my drivers license and even a Work ID badge as a back up if I ever forget
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 05:55:16 AM by Sixftunder »
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2012, 03:04:30 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
I knew you were doing the whole time

You said mafia... Soo...
I was gonna say one of Pauli, Lefty, Fingers, Leo or Nicky
Signature.

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2012, 07:38:21 PM »

Wazooty

• Rookie
  • Dudebro
New synopsis from: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0765323982/

"In the last years of the Forerunner empire, chaos rules. The Flood—a horrifying shape-changing parasite—has arrived in force, aided by unexpected allies. Internal strife within the ecumene has desperately weakened Forerunner defenses.

Too little, too late, the legal rate of Juridicals is only now investigating possible crimes by the Master Builder and others. Evidence-gathering agents known collectively as Catalog have been dispatched to collect testimony from the Librarian and both Didacts: the Ur-Didact, treacherously abandoned in a Flood-infested system, and the Bornstellar Didact, who accompanies the Librarian as she preserves specimens against the dire possibility of Halo extermination.

Facing the imminent collapse of their civilization, the Librarian and the Ur-Didact reveal what they know about the relationship between the long-vanished Precursors and the Flood.

The Precursors created many technological species, including humanity and the Forerunners. But the roots of the Flood may be found in an act of enormous barbarity, carried out beyond our galaxy ten million years before...

Because of that barbarism, a greater evil looms. Only the Ur-Didact and the Librarian--husband and wife pushed into desperate conflict--hold the keys to a solution.

Facing the consequences of a mythic tragedy, one of them must now commit the greatest atrocity of all time—to prevent an insane evil from dominating the entire universe."

Nothing suggests that either didact is evil.  Especially not "the" evil.  And the forerunners aren't really a "universal" species so them (or even one of them) being a universal threat seems...out of the question.

I wonder what happened 10 million years ago?  It could be something as simple as the precursors all giving themselves to the flood or...something more sinister.  Maybe the flood weren't actually created by the precursors, but instead the flood go from galaxy to galaxy chomping them up, and the precursors simply accepted them and gave themselves to them.

Who knows....
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 07:43:07 PM by Wazooty »

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2012, 07:43:40 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
Two things that stick out for me: aided by unexpected allies... Bias has supposedly been secured. So who is this?

The evil--though this might be poor phrasing, there's a heavy implication that it is this unexpected evil and *not* the Flood that resulted in the firing of the rings...

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2012, 09:27:42 PM »

That Gunslinger

• Veteran
  • Forerunner Tank: Awesomeness would ensue.
Wow that sounds brilliant. The use of the word 'Barbarism' has me thinking.

I think the initial chapters will be from the point of view of these 'Catalogs' interviewing the Librarian and Didacts like Primordium did with 343 and the ONI researchers. So each will tell everything that they know. Argh, so much to think about.
"Life is trial Riser."
"For little Elephants as well."

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2012, 10:46:22 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
Bias was in command of the Flood fleet when the array was fired, so he isn't 'secured'

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2012, 11:06:50 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Well, that's the question. He's been secured as of Primordium, but we're not sure how the Halo 3 terminals fit in, are overwritten, or augmented at this point.

We also don't really know how far we are into the war, beyond "the latter stages".

I'll be interested to see if this jumps ahead a few years.

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2012, 02:55:16 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
Well, that's the question. He's been secured as of Primordium, but we're not sure how the Halo 3 terminals fit in, are overwritten, or augmented at this point.

We also don't really know how far we are into the war, beyond "the latter stages".

Its possible that they only have an instance, or an individual component of Mendicant Bias. He was later broken down even further.

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2012, 03:45:17 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site

Its possible that they only have an instance, or an individual component of Mendicant Bias. He was later broken down even further.

Well there's at least two "shards". I'm guessing the piece found on the Dreadnought was a 'lost' piece, which essentially reunited with the piece Offensive Bias brought to the Ark.

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2012, 04:42:07 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
Mendicant and Offensive Bias would make an awesome book on their own. Especially if Greg Bear wrote it...

« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2012, 06:45:22 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
Yeah, the book gets me excited;
      One: cause of this huge business with whatever happened 10,000 leagues under the galaxy that created the flood or whatever, i eat up stuff about the precursor-flood relationship (though i hope they dont make them any less "god-like" than they are now)
       Two: cause this book seems to be heavily focused on the precursor-flood relationship, and since 343 has stated that this book will have loads of spoilers for halo 4 . . . . . .

also, what if the flood was created by the precursors who fled the galaxy as a way of enacting revenge on the forerunner?
Signature.

« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2012, 12:29:13 PM »

Wazooty

• Rookie
  • Dudebro
Soo, offensive bias is created to battle mendicant bias, lead their fleets against it.  This implies that offensive has a knack for military strategy.  Let's say they find Ur-didact in a flood infested system, but he is actually partially infected already.

So they compose him, halt the infection, but his body is ruined, so they take it a step further.  The make him a monitor, much like Chakas, but not any old monitor, they make him offensive bias.  Ur-didact created mendicant bias, he feels responsible for it, and he wants to take revenge against it.  Offensive bias was created just for that purpose.  The big orange cryptum thing is ur-didacts monitor as it were, and he will lead the forerunners armies against mendicant.  Being a military genius and all, it makes sense.  As forerunners are infected by the millions (billions?), they are composed and put into fighting suits to serve in offensive bias' army.  They served Ur-Didact in life, and now in "death", they will continue to serve him.

In their final showdown, offensive and mendicant bias are throwing ships at each other.  Offensive is of course trying to delay mendicant so Bornstellar can activate the array from the ark.   Mid battle, the halo effect passes their ships.  Mendicants flood infected ships are rendered inert, and offensive, with his robo-army then lay it to waste. 

Requiem is defined as a mass for the dead.  Offensive bias and his "army of the dead" are left there for...whatever purpose.  To guard something or just to wait for the inevitable return of the flood.  Who knows.  But they are all infected by the flood.  Their minds deteriorate over the years, and by the time Halo 4 rolls around, they are serving whatever they were intending to guard.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 12:30:15 PM by Wazooty »

« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2012, 01:14:12 PM »

Postmortem

• Forward Unto Dawn Writer
  • Veteran
  • No. There is more. But you are not worthy. Not yet
In spite of the fact that we've already been told it's a Cryptum, I really like this theory.

« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2012, 02:46:35 PM »

Wazooty

• Rookie
  • Dudebro
Perhaps he isn't completely monitorfied in the traditional sense.  His crippled body might still be intact, but the cryptum monitor combo holds it suspended, while expanding his mental capabilities to that of a machine.

Well, I'm just throwing random things out there.  At any rate, it would be easy enough to make up some sci-fi plot device to justify such a detail.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 03:50:47 PM by Wazooty »