Author Topic: The Magic Behind Halo 4  (Read 2321 times)

The Magic Behind Halo 4
« on: August 16, 2012, 01:35:46 AM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
  • This is the way the world ends
So we have yet another "behind the scenes" type of video from IGN:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/08/15/making-of-halo-4?utm_campaign=ign+main+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

It shows a lot of stuff that we have already seen, with some new things sprinkled in (make sure you have your finger ready to click the pause button a few times for those new sprinkles). The video is also without commentary, which I actually rather enjoyed; it let the images, scenes, and video as a whole speak for itself.

Some things that caught my attention:

*I'm pretty sure it was already confirmed else where, but it looks like we will be driving that mech we saw on Warhouse (or whatever it's called now) as we see the chief hopping in, and even a quick shot of it firing one of it's arm-chain guns.
*There is a quick scene of a ship (Infinity?) on Requiem's surface with two scorpions tanks on the ground, which is the first time I believe we have seen them thus far; it's hard to tell, but they don't look very different at all. But the scene was very reminiscent of the Forward Unto Dawn setting down and dropping Scorpions off on the level The Ark in Halo 3.
*A Storm Jackal is shown, or presumably, as this one had a faceplate on it.
*A Covenant Wraith is also shown, which I believe is also the first time we have seen that thus far.
*There are few scenes of two new characters, the Captain of the Infinity (I think his name is Lasky or Lutsky, right?) and another character that seems to be important to the story as he is shown multiple times, including on the bridge of the Infinity

Above all else, this really brought home how much time, dedication, and budget is going into this title alone, and there are supposed to be two more games from 343i? They are quickly becoming my favorite game developer, and they haven't even produced a title that they had made from scratch yet (Halo: CEA obviously does not count), and I am hoping I am not setting my standards too high, or should I, and we, be setting that bar high?

If you saw anything else that spiked your interest that I missed, please share. I have come to realize that I am missing subtle things, like this new Forerunner pistol that was (briefly) shown in the UNSC arsenal video.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 03:29:00 AM by Sixftunder »
Praise Bird Jesus!

Re: The Magic Behind Halo 4
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 03:08:44 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
Not sure if that's a Jackal or one of the Elites, considering how similar they now look... I'm sort of guessing that the Lasky guy ends up taking over for the other guy (who I'm inferring from the E3 footage that he's the captan)--he might not make it through the campaign.

I'm keeping my expectations at exactly zip. I have my hopes and fears, but I don't want any expectations to cloud what they end up doing. Obviously, if they wow me that's a very good thing. :)

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 11:39:47 AM »

That Gunslinger

• Veteran
  • Forerunner Tank: Awesomeness would ensue.
I don't want my expectations to be too high, but they are. The content I have seen so far speaks of immense quality and effort and I have no reason to doubt the game at this time.

And yeah I think the guy that was like "...the visions of an ageing Spartan and his malfunctioning AI..." will definitely be killed and Lasky will have to take his place as the leader of the UNSC forces on Requiem since he's super inspired by Chief at this point after FUD. Presumably he was at least of a higher rank than Chief since John was all like "With all due respect sir...", but he may even be the highest ranking officer there.

Where's Keyes when you need him. He'd sort everything out in a second... or get captured multiple times...and spout hilariously obvious exposition... "While the Prometheans had us locked up in here, I overheard the guards talking about this shield world. They call it... 'REQUIEM'."
"Life is trial Riser."
"For little Elephants as well."

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 12:04:19 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
I don't want my expectations to be too high, but they are. The content I have seen so far speaks of immense quality and effort and I have no reason to doubt the game at this time.

And yeah I think the guy that was like "...the visions of an ageing Spartan and his malfunctioning AI..." will definitely be killed and Lasky will have to take his place as the leader of the UNSC forces on Requiem since he's super inspired by Chief at this point after FUD. Presumably he was at least of a higher rank than Chief since John was all like "With all due respect sir...", but he may even be the highest ranking officer there.

Where's Keyes when you need him. He'd sort everything out in a second... or get captured multiple times...and spout hilariously obvious exposition... "While the Prometheans had us locked up in here, I overheard the guards talking about this shield world. They call it... 'REQUIEM'."

Hey, Keyes getting captured twice made more sense than Johnson getting captured or screwing up at least three times in Halo 3 (felt like more.) Killing him at the end of that was just icing on the cake.

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 01:29:08 PM »

That Gunslinger

• Veteran
  • Forerunner Tank: Awesomeness would ensue.
Hey, Keyes getting captured twice made more sense than Johnson getting captured or screwing up at least three times in Halo 3 (felt like more.) Killing him at the end of that was just icing on the cake.

He's gonna return in Halo 6 as the true ancient evil. Johnsons never die.

Oh and that Captain guy is Captain Del Rio (forgot about that) so yeah that's why he's so wary of trusting the lives of all of his men to John's geas or whatever it is.

And there's another Female Spartan in the background of one of the shots who I believe is Commander Palmer who has been referenced before somewhere but I might be wrong. Lasky definitely seems to be second in command anyway. BRB, just gonna watch it 10 more times.
"Life is trial Riser."
"For little Elephants as well."