Author Topic: Arby 'n" the Chief  (Read 5081 times)

Arby 'n" the Chief
« on: August 18, 2012, 05:44:20 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
  • This is the way the world ends
Anyone a fan of the series?

For those of you who aren't familiar with it, it is a Machinima YouTube series (one of the only good ones) with a main story line, and also little side episodes, titled "Bytes". Both are excellent, in my opinion.

I thought the latest Byte was hilarious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAg6CIU3qVg&feature=g-u-u

"Look @ the almighty Lord Gaben [Value owner]. He has withheld hat life 3 frum his fans and forsaken them. On the other hand, mai gods is giving me Halo 4, 5 and sicks. My god is an ossim god. Ossim possim."

Pure genius  ;D
Praise Bird Jesus!

Re: Arby 'n" the Chief
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 06:41:02 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
I think we can be in service of two 'gods' here, even if one of them has forsaken us... Half life 2 was a great game
Signature.

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
I think we can be in service of two 'gods' here, even if one of them has forsaken us... Half life 2 was a great game

I agree with your statement, not Chief's. I just thought it was hilarious.
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 07:31:55 PM »

That Gunslinger

• Veteran
  • Forerunner Tank: Awesomeness would ensue.
Yeah I've been a massive fan of the show since it began many years ago. It's the best webseries on at the moment, or at least the best written. How dare Chief speak that way about Lord Gaben!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUo1PgKksgw&list=FL97AoKmPbZWiXPZJY8dYLxg&index=10&feature=plpp_video

Hat Life 3... you mean Team Fortress 2 (TROLOLOL).

The last story episode 'Ashes' was the best written episode in the entire series by far (though my favourite would have to be 'The Reunion' since I cried manly tears at the end.

Whereas the latest episode of RvB was boring as hell. You can't just do a bunch of action and hardly any character development and then expect the action to remain interesting. Oh a character died that we hardly got to know beyond a handful of lines scattered across two seasons.... oh no! (I'm still a fan of the show but it really seems to be going downhill despite the constant rise in the amount of money thrown at it.) Good characters are a rare thing, and Rooster Teeth seems to be making little use of them. When 70% of an episode is just explosions I find it hard to keep interested. It's just a big "look at we can do with CG" fest. I have no problem with RvB moving towards a bigger narrative and less comedy (just like Arby), but now it seems to be losing both to just action.

Jon CJG seems to realise that lots of character development always pays off in a more meaningful action scene later on, rather than doing one every episode. 'Collapse' wouldn't have been so cool if the first episode had been the toys crashing the wedding and blowing stuff up. Context is needed before action. There needs to be a balance.

Both shows are still great though, and I'm a big fan of both. Shame there's barely any Machinima series left these days, as the whole genre just seemed to disappear overnight a few years back.
"Life is trial Riser."
"For little Elephants as well."

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 07:43:14 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
Whereas the latest episode of RvB was boring as hell. You can't just do a bunch of action and hardly any character development and then expect the action to remain interesting. Oh a character died that we hardly got to know beyond a handful of lines scattered across two seasons.... oh no! (I'm still a fan of the show but it really seems to be going downhill despite the constant rise in the amount of money thrown at it.) Good characters are a rare thing, and Rooster Teeth seems to be making little use of them. When 70% of an episode is just explosions I find it hard to keep interested. It's just a big "look at we can do with CG" fest. I have no problem with RvB moving towards a bigger narrative and less comedy (just like Arby), but now it seems to be losing both to just action.

I think we touched on this in the RvB thread, but I completely agree. I think I have maybe watched one or two episodes of this season, I just can't get excited about it anymore.

And your comment about throwing money at the series is on point. Arby 'n' the Chief is the case and point to your argument. I mean, what does it cost to create the show? Time? I mean, the guy is literally playing with dolls (Edit: and video capture from Reach and H3) and yet still makes an awesome series that has gone on for years.

Do you know if there is a dvd set of the series Gun? I know everything is on YouTube but I would actually pay to have them all on a disc set. As much as I love the series, I have missed a lot of episodes, and I would really like to start from episode one and work my way up to the latest season.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 07:46:53 PM by Sixftunder »
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 07:47:18 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
I haven't watched since the original guy passed on the reins.

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 07:57:19 PM »

That Gunslinger

• Veteran
Do you know if there is a dvd set of the series Gun? I know everything is on YouTube but I would actually pay to have them all on a disc set. As much as I love the series, I have missed a lot of episodes, and I would really like to start from episode one and work my way up to the latest season.

Sadly not (I would buy it in a heartbeat), but you can watch the Machinima playlist for the show which is in order.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAg6CIU3qVg&feature=list_other&playnext=1&list=SP2A495FEAC8080F3F.
It's what I do when I go on my annual marathon of the whole show. (Just don't watch Arby the Chief in LA... like seriously don't even try it). It never happened.

I do however, have both the Joyride Chief and Arbiter figures on either side of my monitor. It's about the closest I'll probably ever get to AntC merchandise lol.

I haven't watched since the original guy passed on the reins.

Jon CJG still does it but he changed his named from digitalpheer or whatever it was. Someone else did the LA series though and that's why it's so horrendous.
"Life is trial Riser."

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 01:55:10 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
I can't really remember watching an entire ep. I'll have to give it a shot.

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 05:18:46 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
I didnt know he came back, ill have to check it out again

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 10:06:08 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
I'm still making my way through the entire series; I'm at season 7 by Machinima's numbering. But I just had to say, when I saw Greg's shadow hanging from the ceiling at the season finale of when Arby 'n' the Chief crash the wedding between Claire and Trent, I had tears forming - I won't lie about it. I love this series, and I look forward to the "reunion" episode you speak of Gun  :D
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 10:26:46 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
Ok, I just don't get it.  :-\

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 10:41:25 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero

I suggest you get on the Youtubes then.  ;D
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 10:52:57 PM »

That Gunslinger

• Veteran
I'm still making my way through the entire series; I'm at season 7 by Machinima's numbering. But I just had to say, when I saw Greg's shadow hanging from the ceiling at the season finale of when Arby 'n' the Chief crash the wedding between Claire and Trent, I had tears forming - I won't lie about it. I love this series, and I look forward to the "reunion" episode you speak of Gun  :D

Everyone loves Greg. When he arrives at the wedding in 'spider' armour. Pure genius. :D

A new byte got released last night anyway. I lol'd. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqhBX97yOXA&list=ELDf12HzgNQ7E&index=15&feature=plpp_video

It's basically just a social commentary on the online world. Chief being the idiotic, fanboy child that plays Xbox Live 24/7, and Arbiter the more intelligent, but depressed individual. There's some genuinely engaging plot to it in the last few seasons though. The original seasons were basically just long sketch shows.
"Life is trial Riser."

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 11:02:29 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
A new byte got released last night anyway. I lol'd. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqhBX97yOXA&list=ELDf12HzgNQ7E&index=15&feature=plpp_video

I haven't seen all of the Bytes yet, but that was still good

"With all due respect sir, you should have pulled out six years ago" lol. Chief is so cheeky  ;D
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 11:54:57 PM by Sixftunder »
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 02:52:46 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
So, I was trying to wrap up the current season before my first class of the semester, but what do you know, the last episode is "Reunion" and I don't have time to watch it.

I'll have thoughts later this evening when I have watched it. It is shaping up to be a good season finale, and I am going to hold you to crying manly tears Gun  :P

Edit: And now I know where manly tears comes from! I thought the "reunion" was between Claire and Arby at first, but that scene really didn't do much for me other than feel even worse for him. Claire just wasn't really that developed as a character, and I suppose she didn't need to be.

Then I noticed there was much more time left in the video....

So when that package showed up, it honestly caught me off guard. The one thing about this series is that it can be pretty predictable at times, and I'm not saying that's a bad thing. Usually when Arby 'n' the Chief are in a bind, you can normally tell how they are going to get out of it.

I initially thought it was going to be something from Claire for some reason, or a box filled with dildos since that is what one of the modders said they were going to do to that one TOSER that got caught. But low and behold, who was in the box?

GREG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And now I am all caught up. Greg better not leave again!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 10:52:23 PM by Sixftunder »
Praise Bird Jesus!