Author Topic: Spoilers for Halo 4 / The Thursday War  (Read 11816 times)

Spoilers for Halo 4 / The Thursday War
« on: September 02, 2012, 04:23:00 AM »

Slightly Live

• Forward Staff
  • Rookie
  • Logical Plague
    • Forward Unto Dawn
Spoilers for future Halo products are below including Halo 4 and Halo books that have yet to be published. Proceed only if you wish to be spoiled.

Final warning!

Creating this thread to contain the spoilers from Halo 4 that some eagle eye folks have picked up upon from the recently released video.

Spoilers for Halo 4 Story

• When Master Chief awakes, the Forward Unto Dawn is boarded by a bunch of Covenant - they are looking for something, not the Chief.
  • The Covenant, a particularly religious remnant led by the Elites, have come in search of Requiem to find and look for a Forerunner weapon cache.
  • The Covenant also believe Requiem to be the place where a living god is being kept - they wish to find and wake him up to enlist his aid in fighting humanity.
  • Main antagonist is called Didact, an ancient Forerunner. He is the being the religious Covenant believe to be a living god.
  • Dr Halsey, who made a cameo in Reach, makes an appearance as the Chief wants her help to find a solution to Cortana's "problem"
  • Cortana is able to project multiple versions of herself at once - multiple Cortanas
  • A climatic battle involving the Chief, Didact and Cortana takes place
  • A character has, or appears to have, telekinesis
Mo-Cap Script for Actors

"In that case, you won't mind..." Cortana appears behind the Didact.
at all of the Cortanas emerging from the Bridge
"Compassion for mankind is misplaced." - Didact
"I'm not doing this for mankind." Chief then charges thet Didact.

rushes towards Didact and jumps all over him (legs, arms, chest, back)
Several takes of "Cortana" tackling and climbing on random objects at full speed.
Didact is attacked by Cortana. He attempts to swat at Cortana as a means of self defence.
Didact unclenches his fist and drops Chief.

Cortana begins restraining Didact by constraining his limbs to the Bridge.
-Several takes of "Cortana" climbing on "Didact" actor and then...
a specific body part (head, back, waist, knees, ebows, shoulders)
-Didact struggle idle.

Chief is released
-Chief immobilised pose
-Chief falls, lands on edge
-Chief hanging idle

Spoilers for Halo The Thursday War (book) which heavily suggest/hint towards Halo 4

About Requiem and Didact:
Quote from: The Thursday War
Don't you see it? Requiem. That's where the Didact was hidden. That's where they say he waits.

About the Didact, from one of the Engineers at Onyx:
He tried to fight the flood. He tried to destroy the humans.

Said about the symbol for the Didact:
That, he said, is the symbol for the holy warrior who will come to the aid of the faithful in their hour of need.

About Didact:
Didact sleeps and must never be woken.

Spoiler Sources

Unbelievably, all the spoiler sources here are official. Yup, no leaks. No french! Check them out for yourself!

Amazon.com Halo The Thursday War
(Click on "Look Inside!" and feel free to read hundreds of pages. Also, use the search feature of Look Inside and you'll be able to find a bunch of extra details.)

Halo 4: A Hero Awakens - Part One Official Trailer.
Look closely at this awesome trailer. Pause the video at around the 3:55 mark and read the script for yourself. Or look below.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 07:41:55 AM by Slightly Live »

Re: Spoilers for Halo 4 / The Thursday War
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 04:28:44 AM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
  • This is the way the world ends
I still feel like that is a bit too obvious.... 343i want's us to believe it is the Didact and then they surprise us with something different

Don't you see it? Requiem. That's where the Didact was hidden. That's where they say he waits.

And how do we know if this is the Ur-Didact or Bornstellar? I feel like that could make all of the difference
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 04:54:51 AM »

Slightly Live

• Forward Staff
  • Rookie
  • Logical Plague
    • Forward Unto Dawn
We know nothing about which Didact he is.

Although it's most likely Ur-Didact. Maybe even Flood infected - held back by the Composer.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 07:42:27 AM by Slightly Live »

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 07:42:14 AM »

Slightly Live

• Forward Staff
  • Rookie
  • Logical Plague
    • Forward Unto Dawn
Boom.

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 09:20:24 AM »

That Gunslinger

• Veteran
  • Forerunner Tank: Awesomeness would ensue.
I might stay away from certain threads for a while. I presumed most of this and already saw the vidoc, but if 343 are going to keep putting scripts in them then I'm afraid I might see something very big (seriously, what the hell). Thanks for all the warnings, but I can't control myself anyway. Argh, I can't not rampantly speculate for another 64 days but... I think, like the Chief, I should go and sleep for a bit, at least in terms of plot information.

Wake me, when you need me.
"Life is trial Riser."
"For little Elephants as well."

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 09:24:27 AM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
I'm with you Gun, I may be staying away from this one until launch.

This reminds me of a question I was just thinking of..... If you had the chance to read through the Halo Bible, would you?

Prior to Halo 4's announcement, I think I would have said yes!, now it is a definite no. I want to be kept in suspense and see what 343i has in store for us.
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 02:04:52 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
We know nothing about which Didact he is.

Although it's most likely Ur-Didact. Maybe even Flood infected - held back by the Composer.

Agreed, But the logic here wont prevent me from hoping that it is the Bornsteller-Didact. Cause I always liked Ur-D way more...

But i also get the impression that he will be an ally up until a point, where he has a disagreement and you try to kill him... He just doesn't seem like the kinda guy to bother with attacking anything that doesn't attack him... Idk

Also; telekinetic powers? Where the heck did you get that?

And in terms of avoiding spoilers, I wouldn't have read this thread if i knew it had Halo 4 spoilers, I thought it just had thursday war ones :(        :)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 02:13:19 PM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 03:25:13 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
Well the loglines for Silentium pretty much downplayed the Bornstellar-Didact entirely, which I thought was kind of odd--if the summary is an indicator of the entire book's contents then poor Bornstellar looks to get cast aside. I'd definitely assume this is the Ur-Didact though.

Hmm. Glass Harder has some interesting things going on from a writing standpoint. I really hope someone addresses Parangosky's rather hypocritical mindset. Just desserts. Better than cookies.

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 04:22:48 PM »

That Gunslinger

• Veteran
I really hope someone addresses Parangosky's rather hypocritical mindset. Just desserts. Better than cookies.

Agreed, I mean can someone make a list of all of the morally corrupt things ONI have done over the years, most of, if not all of which has gone through her first. She plays just as much a part in the Spartan II program as Halsey does.

I'm not saying Halsey doesn't deserve to be punished for what she did, but I don't get how Parangosky can take the moral high ground. She's probably the one that green-lit the SII project to begin with. I hope she gets what she deserves before she dies.
"Life is trial Riser."

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 04:33:29 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
I really hope someone addresses Parangosky's rather hypocritical mindset. Just desserts. Better than cookies.

Agreed, I mean can someone make a list of all of the morally corrupt things ONI have done over the years, most of, if not all of which has gone through her first. She plays just as much a part in the Spartan II program as Halsey does.

I'm not saying Halsey doesn't deserve to be punished for what she did, but I don't get how Parangosky can take the moral high ground. She's probably the one that green-lit the SII project to begin with. I hope she gets what she deserves before she dies.

Well, I can certainly see her feeling bad about what she did, and she should. The issue to me is that penitence doesn't square in my mind with her continued amoral and Machiavellian actions regarding the Elites. If she really feels bad, I'd say she needs to retire and let the light in on her own operations. It's that sort of selective hindsight that I want to see confronted.

About 50 pages into the preview now, so far no major gaps missing. There's a bit too much "Previously on Glasslands..." and first-person thought bubbles that are too on-the-nose for my liking, but there's no doubt to me that Traviss is still a pretty good writer, albeit with a pretty straight style (like Nylund, although obviously different in actual character.)

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 05:48:53 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero

*cracks knuckles* Let me try and take a stab at this statement.

First off, Parangosky did have a part in giving the SIII program the green light, but not solely. Chapter two of Ghosts of Onyx describes Colonel Ackerson's proposal of the program to three high-level ONI officials aboard the UNSC prowler point of no return. These officials were Rear Admiral Rich, commander of covert operations in section three, Captain Gibson, field officer in charge of section three black-ops. and finally, Vice Admiral Paragonsky. They all approved of the operation, and it was Parangosky that recommended the planet Onyx, since section one had made the place "a virtual black hole".

Now lets move on to hoping that Parangosky gets what she deserves before she dies. I speculate that she may already have, albeit maybe it's not exactly what you wanted. I wanted to write an article about what I am going to formulate below, but I had a hard time trying to get it up to FuD staff quality, so I'll just lay out the main points here:

Basically, Osman, who is being set up to take Parangosky's place as Commander in Chief of ONI by none other than Ms. P herself, is Parangosky's daughter. I believe someone speculated this before in an earlier thread right after Glasslands came out, but the idea was never really fleshed out.

We come to find out that Osman was in the SII program, but "washed out" during the augmentation process. By her still being alive and seemingly fully functional as a normal human being (at least in the time that has passed since her time in the program and the events in Glassalnds) she is one of the lucky ones that "washed out".

With those two points, let move on to how Osman could be Parangosky's daughter and how Paragonsky may have already "got what she deserved" if you haven't already figured that one out yet.

There isn't any hard evidence to link Parangosky and Osman and mother and daughter, but there are two facts presented in Glasslands that may support this notion. (1) As Commander in Chief of ONI, Parangosky has access to any and all top secret files, including the SII program, which would seemingly include candidate information in which she may have found out that her daughter, Osman was one of the candidates for the program. (2) Glasslands reveals that although Osman has access to view her candidate profile that would reveal her life and family before being abducted into the SII program, she has not viewed those files, yet. Who might she discover as her mother when she finally looks into the files?

I know someone may interject that if Parangoksy approved the SII program as well, which at the time of writing I am unsure of, that she would have known her daughter was a candidate and either pulled her out or disproved of the program altogether. The only counterargument to that notion that I can come up with is business related. If she did have something to do with the approval of the SII program, she would have most likely had a role of something like a manager. Thus, she would not need granular information on the project; she would just need the big picture and bottom line cost of the project for approval and she would let the scientists and accountants deal with the more granular information such as day-to-day costs and candidate information. That would infer that she never saw the roster.

So, how would Osman being a "wash out" SII member and supposed daughter of Parangosky lead to Parangosky getting what she deserves?

If Osman really is the daughter of Parangosky, then not only did Ms. P have to suffer through watching the flash clone of her abducted daughter suffer and die, she would also come to later realize that her daughter is alive after gaining access to top secret files on the SII program. However, even though she is alive, Osman had to suffer through the mutilation, if you will, of the augmentation portion of the SII program, only to "wash out" and never make it as a Spartan. Does that not define irony? That a person that has approved and done such horrible and cruel things would have something as horrible and cruel thrown right back at her?

Speaking of the cruel and horrible things that Parangosky has probably done as a part of ONI, the other thing that always bothered me about the ending to Glasslands is when she takes the moral high ground, as you guys put it, when questioning Halsey about the use of flash clones for the abducted SII candidates, which was apparently not a part of the original plan. Why would she care and about something so cruel and horrible when doing those kinds of things is basically all she has done throughout her career? Why would something like that even phase her? Perhaps she had some kind of personal or family matter in the topic at hand *wink wink*.

If this theory holds true, it would also further explain why Parangosky has such a dislike of Halsey, other than the fact that Halsey was essentially a thief that stole billions of dollars worth of UNSC assets during war time.

So, if that is not enough for you, what more do you think she should suffer to "get what she deserves"? And I'm not implying that she doesn't deserve more; I just wanted to hear your thoughts.
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 07:49:45 PM »

Slightly Live

• Forward Staff
  • Rookie
  • Logical Plague
    • Forward Unto Dawn
Also; telekinetic powers? Where the heck did you get that?

From the script.

"Chief lunges for the....
telekinetically flips...."

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 08:19:29 PM »

That Gunslinger

• Veteran
I hope all of that comes true Six, or at least a variation. Nicely written. But... can Lucy just...like...punch her in the face too? That would be great. The only thing is I don't get how she wouldn't have seen her daughter in the roster. Not that Halsey couldn't hide such things if she wanted to.

On the subject of the telekinesis, there was a leaked in-progress cutscene a few months back showing someone with such powers. All the models were just place-holders though so there's no context. I'll try and find it.

Found it  ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CT2qDfykbA

I don't know if it's related but whatever.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 08:20:48 PM by That Gunslinger »
"Life is trial Riser."

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 08:48:24 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
I hope all of that comes true Six, or at least a variation. Nicely written. But... can Lucy just...like...punch her in the face too? That would be great. The only thing is I don't get how she wouldn't have seen her daughter in the roster. Not that Halsey couldn't hide such things if she wanted to.

On the subject of the telekinesis, there was a leaked in-progress cutscene a few months back showing someone with such powers. All the models were just place-holders though so there's no context. I'll try and find it.

Found it  ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CT2qDfykbA

I don't know if it's related but whatever.

You make such a compelling argument. But yes, Parangosky deserves to get decked by Lucy. It's a shame that she is just now learning to speak again, otherwise it would have been great if after Lucy punches her, she yells out "BITCH!". Plus, if the impact of Lucy's punch to Parangosky's dome didn't kill her, I'm sure the impact of her hitting the ground would. That would be an excellent way to kill her off  ;D

And I'm not sure pulling someone through a solid wall and telekinesis are the same thing, but I could be wrong. I forgot about that video though.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 09:07:24 PM by Sixftunder »
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 09:00:19 PM »

Wazooty

• Rookie
  • Dudebro
I'm pretty sure that vid is fan made.