Author Topic: Spoilers for Halo 4 / The Thursday War  (Read 20329 times)

Re: Spoilers for Halo 4 / The Thursday War
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2012, 06:30:29 PM »

Wazooty

• Rookie
  • Dudebro
There's been so much inconsistency with armor, I'm inclined to think they simply didn't care to mock up a realistic mk v and iv.  Disappointed for sure.

I never thought that a halo game would dethrone blizzards cinematic quality but heck, it did (visual armor styles aside)

It's funny to think that John is actually about the same age if not younger than lasky, as lasky has such a youthful exuberance about him.

Also,  the new mk vi looks really clunky when in an idle hands to the side stance
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 06:36:04 PM by Wazooty »

« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2012, 10:51:36 PM »

Menachite

• Recruit
  • Heretic
Double-posting because I don't care.

The opening prologue for Halo 4. I decided to watch it, since it'll be the first thing I see playing the game anyway. Holy shit. It looks real. Everything about it is so amazing.

The only thing that's throwing me off is seeing multiple Spartans roaming around in Mk. VI(B). Retcon or just stylization? It's hard to accept stylization when the rest of the prologue is so damn accurate and real looking. Also, why are they fighting Storm Elites? Perhaps this is not actually in the past? I just don't know how to feel about it all canonically.

Either way, this is going to be the best Halo game. I have no doubts.

I think they just didn't bother modelling the earlier types of armour. I'd have preferred that they'd done it properly but it still looks amazing and the CG fooled me at first. I think the Elites are a similar situation. I imagine they wouldn't want to make a completely new model just for a short cutscene.

« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2012, 10:53:09 PM »

Postmortem

• Forward Unto Dawn Writer
  • Veteran
  • No. There is more. But you are not worthy. Not yet

The opening prologue for Halo 4. I decided to watch it, since it'll be the first thing I see playing the game anyway. Holy shit. It looks real. Everything about it is so amazing.

The only thing that's throwing me off is seeing multiple Spartans roaming around in Mk. VI(B). Retcon or just stylization? It's hard to accept stylization when the rest of the prologue is so damn accurate and real looking. Also, why are they fighting Storm Elites? Perhaps this is not actually in the past? I just don't know how to feel about it all canonically.

I think they just didn't bother modelling the earlier types of armour. I'd have preferred that they'd done it properly but it still looks amazing and the CG fooled me at first. I think the Elites are a similar situation. I imagine they wouldn't want to make a completely new model just for a short cutscene.

Even though those would have to be separate models anyway. Much, much (much) higher poly count.

« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2012, 11:04:51 PM »

Slightly Live

• Forward Staff
  • Rookie
  • Logical Plague
    • Forward Unto Dawn
Even though those would have to be separate models anyway. Much, much (much) higher poly count.

Nope, they can be the same model. Typically models for games are built in very, very high poly models initially and then budgeted downwards. So no.

« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2012, 11:20:41 PM »

Wazooty

• Rookie
  • Dudebro
The more I watch the legendary ending (which isn't really even much of a spoiler as far as the game is concerned, kinda, but does show uh...other things), the more I think:

Didacts motives are twofold.  One is to stop the precursors from returning to the galaxy to test humanity (didn't go so well last time), as if there is no humanity to test, then the galaxy is safe, this is why he refers to humanity as "the greatest threat to the galaxy".   That and the second of Didacts reasons: forerunners get an opportunity to inherit the mantle again.  Enslaving the entirety of humanity in the form of prometheans is of course how he plans to beat them a second time.  A army of flood immune slaves.  Whereas the librarians plan was, in a nutshell, the spartan program - to "evolve" humanity, encase them in armor in order to fight the flood/precursors, didacts was to just enslave and prometheanize. 

I do not see how there could possibly be two more games around the didact.  That would be way way too repetitive.  I would absolutely bet on Halo 5 being about the precursors and their test.  I feel Didat could potentially be a thorn in their side for future games though.  A la illusive man.

When he refers to "reclamation" it of course means reclaiming the mantle.  And in order to do that, they need to pass the precursors test.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 11:30:32 PM by Wazooty »

« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2012, 12:26:17 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
Ok, so I'm not gonna talk about any of the stuff that is spoiler-y, just wanted to pop in and say that Prometheans are composed forerunners, as per frankies comments somewhere, not Humans.
Signature.

« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2012, 01:04:34 AM »

Wazooty

• Rookie
  • Dudebro
Well, there's only one source I'd trust more than Frankie...

« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2012, 01:06:37 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site

Are they supposed to be Spartan IVs or IIs?

« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2012, 03:03:27 AM »

Menachite

• Recruit
  • Heretic
Spartan IIs

« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2012, 03:24:19 PM »

Wazooty

• Rookie
  • Dudebro
So, while most of the specific details of the campaign are somewhat unkown to me, I think I have a solid understanding of the ultimate result of those details.

As someone mentioned in the gaf thread, halo 4 seems extremely self contained.  The prometheans aren't really a threat with the composer gone.  Sure there's prob some left (spops), but no more will be made.  There doesn't really seem to be any ongoing threat.  The didact is likely still alive, and if he is, fighting him for 2 more games isn't much of a story - we've done plenty of that in H4 already.  I can only think of two hints to the future.  One being when the librarian is talking to John.  She tells him that the spartan program, cortana, mjolnir, is all part of her plan to prepare humanity.   John asks her what for exactly, as it's quite obvious the Didact isn't it.  They're interrupted.  I don't know if this is expanded upon later in the game. 

Secondly is the epilogue, didacts speech.  His final words, "The reclamation has already begun, and we are hopeless to stop it."  I don't think Didacts hopelessness simply comes from humanity gradually becoming the protectors of the galaxy but more what "Reclaiming the mantle" entails.  In order to bear the mantle, one must pass the precursors test.  Didact does hate humans to some degree, but his animosity in Halo 4 is fueled by the thought that humans will not be able to pass the precursors test.  Entrusting humanity to protect the galaxy and pass the test is setting up to fail, as he does not believe they can do it.

"Reclamation" is the same thing as "passing the test for rights to the mantle". The story of Halo 4 is the story of how two different forerunner attempt to prepare for this test.  It is implied heavily that the test involves the flood, or at least the two forerunners methods seem to be preparing for such a thing.  The Didact of course is building up an army of "humans" that are immune to the flood.  The librarian by outfitting humanity in combat skins which as we know increases effectiveness against the flood by roughly 10 billion times.  Not to mention guiding humanity in general (I imagine the assembly was put in place by her to help out).

The Didact may be a thorn in humanities side...trying to do things his own way, but I don't think there's any way he will be "the" enemy for the rest of the saga. The precursors plans are already in motion, it would seem.   

If I had a gaf account, I'd post it there...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 03:33:28 PM by Wazooty »