Author Topic: Halo Wars: Milking the franchise?  (Read 3171 times)

Halo Wars: Milking the franchise?
« on: October 01, 2012, 10:28:25 AM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
  • This is the way the world ends
A recent article by the Australian version of Gamespot.Com described Bungies view of the game Halo Wars, as recalled by Ensemble Studios founder Tony Goodman.

http://au.gamespot.com/news/bungie-saw-halo-wars-as-whoring-out-the-franchise-report-6397284

Microsoft was pretty risk averse and they said, 'I don't know if we want to take the risk of creating strategy games on a console. We'd feel better if Halo were attached to it.' The difficult part of that was it took the game back about a year in development, and I think it never quite turned out the same," Goodman said. "They just said, 'Why don't you just paint over what you have with Halo stuff?' But things aren't quite that simple

Another problem was that Bungie was never up for itů Bungie was kind of sore about the idea. What they called it was 'the whoring out of our franchise' or something," he said. "Yeah, that didn't create a great relationship between us and Bungie; they viewed us as someone infringing [on their franchise].

I think that this has always been inferred by long-time fans of the franchise, but it's nice to see that it has been publicly stated now.
Praise Bird Jesus!

Re: Halo Wars: Milking the franchise?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 02:58:55 PM »

Postmortem

• Forward Unto Dawn Writer
  • Veteran
  • No. There is more. But you are not worthy. Not yet
I disagree.

This news accomplishes nothing positive for the community. Halo Wars is still a good Halo game, regardless of how it got started. That's all that matters.

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 03:26:46 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
I didn't mean to imply that I thought it was inferred that the community thought it was milking the franchise, but rather that Bungie was not at all happy with the idea that their IP was being made into a game without their approval. I thought it was a good game as well, albeit the way the Flood was used in the game, and by that I mean the fact that they were there period.

Then again, I think that long-time fans of the franchise want it to be "milked" in a sense because we want to see the universe expanded.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 03:36:07 PM by Sixftunder »
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 03:43:29 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
Hmmm, thats kinda disappointing to be honest.    It sounds like it could have been an even better game if microsoft/bungie had given them the respect and license that they deserved.

What do you think that this means for a potential sequel?
Signature.

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 04:06:16 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
I would think that a sequel is actually more likely under 343i than Bungie, seeing how Halo is all that 343i does, and Bungie seemed to be ready to move on from the franchise around the time of development for Reach, which is about when Wars came out.

The only question is that of who would develop it? Ensemble studios is no more, I don't see 343i doing it internally as it would take resources away from Halo 5 and 6, and so help me god it better not be a company under EA's control like Westwood who made the Command and Conquer series.
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 06:40:34 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
I think that the Halo Wars situation wasn't ideal, but that I'm still happy Halo Wars got made. Thing was that whether or not Bungie thought it was right to make a RTS spinoff, it wasn't their franchise. Like many companies, I think, they saw the advantages of getting bought--the support, the money, the security and the promise of a platform they could help define--but didnt see the downsides, namely being forced to do Halo games. MS gave Bungie an incredible amount of slack, but they were still going to milk that cash cow and they were within their rights to milk it. Ultimately that's only an issue if the games and books are all horrible.

In an alternate dimension, Bungie didn't get bought up, Halo was a minor success on Mac, and they continued on as a second tier developer beloved by fans but without the power to dictate their own terms. Ultimately, would they really have preferred that?

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 06:55:34 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
Good points Dave...

And Six, now that I look at the market, all of the other good RTS games I know of came from either Blizzard or EA... I think the best bet would be to attempt to team up with EA on this one... Cause they at least have some experience developing RTS's on Xbox. (referring to Lotr battle for middle earth 2)
Signature.

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 09:30:43 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
Yeah, you're right Tar. I'm am just biased towards EA because of ME3 and their questionable marketing strategies. I would just hate to see a Halo game with EA on it.

I also thought that EA might try and sabotage the game in some fashion to see one of their competitors games fail, especially if they were to release another game at the same time. But that probably wouldn't be the case. If 343i/MSGS tried to reach out to EA for one of their developers, I'm sure the agreement would be something along the lines of the developer working under the direct control of MSGS for this one game and published by MSGS as well, while EA would take in royalties from the sale of the game, so obviously they would want the game to succeed.

What RTS has Blizzard made (I don't play RTS games so I'm just curious)?
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 09:37:28 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Yeah, you're right Tar. I'm am just biased towards EA because of ME3 and their questionable marketing strategies. I would just hate to see a Halo game with EA on it.

I also thought that EA might try and sabotage the game in some fashion to see one of their competitors games fail, especially if they were to release another game at the same time. But that probably wouldn't be the case. If 343i/MSGS tried to reach out to EA for one of their developers, I'm sure the agreement would be something along the lines of the developer working under the direct control of MSGS for this one game and published by MSGS as well, while EA would take in royalties from the sale of the game, so obviously they would want the game to succeed.

Um... the most popular RTS series ever, StarCraft, and WarCraft (it was an RTS before all this MMO shenanigans, dammit!)

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 02:31:50 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
Halo doesn't lend itself well to RTS because the UNSC lost most ground wars by default when planets got glassed.

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 02:34:49 AM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
Halo doesn't lend itself well to RTS because the UNSC lost most ground wars by default when planets got glassed.

Good point. Still doesn't mean it can't be done. But even if there is no sequel, I am interested to see what happens to the remaining crew of the Spirit of Fire and what this "Captain, wake up. Something has happened" is all about.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 02:35:56 AM by Sixftunder »
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 02:50:06 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero

Oh, Six, Your faux paws are hilarious, Starcraft 2 is like the ONLY popular RTS right now (relatively) and SC I was Uber popular as well, and the Warcraft series was pretty much the foundation of the genre. I dont play RTS's too much anymore either, although I do follow the SC2 pro scene loosely
Signature.

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 03:39:46 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site

Good point. Still doesn't mean it can't be done. But even if there is no sequel, I am interested to see what happens to the remaining crew of the Spirit of Fire and what this "Captain, wake up. Something has happened" is all about.

I'd love to know that, too. Methinks Graeme Devine knows....

The ultimate failing of Halo Wars was its inability to break past a mediocre story with really nice cinematics. Anders, Forge, and Cutter never became much more than the sum of their archetypes (Serina, while the stock sarcastic character, was still so well tuned that it was hard to be upset. She had the best lines.)

This wasn't a matter of bad writers (if you read Graeme's supplemental quasi-canon stuff for the Spirit of Fire, it's excellent character-building), but bad integration of story into an RTS, which has always been difficult, and even Blizzard (who I would say did some of the best early work in StarCraft on that score) has failed horribly recently (with Starcraft II, which if you think ME3 or Reach were bad with retcons, you ain't seen nothing.)

The best example I can think of is WarCraft III, which basically used loading screens to tell you where people were and then used extensive in-game cinematic interludes. The low-poly models weren't beautiful up close, but you still got closer to the characters than via scattered cinematics--the only cinematics were at the beginning and end of campaigns.