Author Topic: Random thoughts on Halo 4  (Read 13415 times)

Re: Random thoughts on Halo 4
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2012, 03:48:46 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
The other thing we do know is that Humanity has returned to the ark and not noticed that anything was active or functioning...
Signature.

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2012, 03:54:54 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
"But, but, but... a premature firing will destroy the Ark!" - 343 Guilty Spark

I'm not saying he's right, or what he deems 'destroy' to mean, but this dialogue is here for a reason. I trust spark as far as I can throw him, but I doubt he would lie about his precious installations. He definitely believes the Ark would be destroyed.

The ark isn't his. He wasn't privy to full access so he may not have been aware of defensive measures etc. And lying about it fits his obsession with his installation.

Remember he was rebuked when he tried accessing the arks systems. The ark is a means to supersede his control. Its already made him a replacement. And he will do just about anything (including killing reclaimers and fellow humans) to protect 'his' installation.

GS has little reason to attempt to 'save' the ark, and EVERY reason to lie in an attempt to dissuade John from firing the ring before it was ready.

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2012, 05:04:41 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
Than the fl

I'm not saying he's right, or what he deems 'destroy' to mean, but this dialogue is here for a reason. I trust spark as far as I can throw him, but I doubt he would lie about his precious installations. He definitely believes the Ark would be destroyed.

The ark isn't his. He wasn't privy to full access so he may not have been aware of defensive measures etc. And lying about it fits his obsession with his installation.

Remember he was rebuked when he tried accessing the arks systems. The ark is a means to supersede his control. Its already made him a replacement. And he will do just about anything (including killing reclaimers and fellow humans) to protect 'his' installation.

GS has little reason to attempt to 'save' the ark, and EVERY reason to lie in an attempt to dissuade John from firing the ring before it was ready.

while that is certainly an interresting thought, and it is totally a valid point. We have this description of the ark post Halo Fireing:

Quote from: CODENAME SURGEON
We dispatched an isolation contact group [L3-08] to the site. Upon entering the debris field, the group was immediately pinged by a non-standard, heterogenic signal emanating from the structure’s surface – or, at least, what remained of it after the event...

...Without the installation’s artificial sun operating at full capacity, navigating the debris field for insertion was difficult – navigating the installation’s surface itself was even more difficult. The damage was... traumatic. Habitability sustainment systems were still active in some locations, but were operating intermittently and in a state of disrepair
It sounds pretty destroyed, albiet with some sections still holding on to some basic functions... Most of the ark is probably still intact, but just totally non-functional with a lot of big holes...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 05:07:03 PM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2012, 01:53:05 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
Than the fl

while that is certainly an interresting thought, and it is totally a valid point. We have this description of the ark post Halo Fireing:

Quote from: CODENAME SURGEON
We dispatched an isolation contact group [L3-08] to the site. Upon entering the debris field, the group was immediately pinged by a non-standard, heterogenic signal emanating from the structure’s surface – or, at least, what remained of it after the event...

...Without the installation’s artificial sun operating at full capacity, navigating the debris field for insertion was difficult – navigating the installation’s surface itself was even more difficult. The damage was... traumatic. Habitability sustainment systems were still active in some locations, but were operating intermittently and in a state of disrepair
It sounds pretty destroyed, albiet with some sections still holding on to some basic functions... Most of the ark is probably still intact, but just totally non-functional with a lot of big holes...

Ah. I think the key here is that it is 'what remains of it' refers to the 'structures *surface*'. It sounds like the power transfer systems were damaged, affecting the artificial sun. I'm intrigued to know why the sun operating at less than full capacity made navigating the debris field more difficult...

Traumatic damage to the surface? It sounds to me like some areas could have had their artificial gravity affected which (if i'm correct in my previous posts) could cause surface terrain to 'fall' along the ark towards the centre of mass. That would certainly cause environmental damage I'd class as traumatic.

I still think its highly unlikely that it would have major structural damage, and since the ark has unimaginable building facilities I think it could repair itself in relatively short order (vaguely remember discussing in HAO the possibilities that the ring was a newly made replacement or an emergency standby, if the new ring had been made since the first was lost, I'd hazard a guess that the ark could be back to normal in just a few years) of course if most of the debris was pulled towards the centre of mass ie. the forge it could be that most of the arks mining and building infrastructure was destroyed...

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2012, 04:11:05 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
Well the mass wouldn't really need to be "pulled in" towards the center, cause most of it was already there, cause the Halo was IN the center.

Also, the emergency stand-bye ring is an interesting thought. Although, the problem would be the fact that the control room was clearly the same one as installation 04; and it doesn't make sense that a replacement stand-bye ring would be so incpomplete, cause it had some major unfinished holes in it.
Perhaps the wireframe "skeleton" of the ring was complete, and they just had to finish it up... Or all of the pieces needed for a ring were pre-manufactured, and so the question becomes more a matter of assembling than creating
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 04:14:14 AM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2012, 05:32:16 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
Well the mass wouldn't really need to be "pulled in" towards the center, cause most of it was already there, cause the Halo was IN the center.

Also, the emergency stand-bye ring is an interesting thought. Although, the problem would be the fact that the control room was clearly the same one as installation 04; and it doesn't make sense that a replacement stand-bye ring would be so incpomplete, cause it had some major unfinished holes in it.
Perhaps the wireframe "skeleton" of the ring was complete, and they just had to finish it up... Or all of the pieces needed for a ring were pre-manufactured, and so the question becomes more a matter of assembling than creating

The Halo was hundreds of kilometres ABOVE the centre when it broke up. If I had more info on the mass of the ark and the halo, and the distance the halo was away, i could calculate how hard it smashed back into the ark.

And yeah, insufficient data as always lol.

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2012, 05:04:58 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
Nahh, you are in the wrong mindset, Most Sci Fi stories disregard some of the fine details in favor of a better story. You just got to use your feelings to determine what's right.
Signature.

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2012, 05:18:18 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
When I write and I come upon any tricky questions I research. When people don't research you get, pardon my forerunner, [that which shall not be named].

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2012, 10:05:48 PM »

Wazooty

• Rookie
  • Dudebro
NANO MACHINE BOTS.

Or they just make a clone of every noun, like 343 has done.

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2012, 07:11:05 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
Or they just make a clone of every noun, like 343 has done.
What is a clone of every noun?...
Signature.

« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2012, 05:55:03 PM »

Wazooty

• Rookie
  • Dudebro
2 didacts, 2 arks, 2 guilty sparks...

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2012, 06:07:24 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
Clone Johnson confirmed for Halo 5!

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2012, 06:23:53 PM »

Postmortem

• Forward Unto Dawn Writer
  • Veteran
  • No. There is more. But you are not worthy. Not yet
2 guilty sparks...

Ah, but there was only one Spark.

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2012, 07:46:04 PM »

Wazooty

• Rookie
  • Dudebro
2 guilty sparks...

Ah, but there was only one Spark.

Sure, it just has the same voice (and as far as what it's actually called by other people in the lore, the same name) as the old spark and they're 2 variants of the same thing, one just knows more than the other.

I mean heck, they even get Tim Dadabo to voice chakas/whatever he becomes as he takes over the ship in the audiobook of Primordium.

Unless you're implying that chakas and spark are the exact same guy.  Which does make sense given that the data log thingers explain that they found "Chakas" at the ruins of the ark...the same place guilty spark conveniently "died"...
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 07:49:58 PM by Wazooty »

« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2012, 08:26:50 PM »

Wazooty

• Rookie
  • Dudebro
So...did we ever figure out what symbol was on the blue disc?

Logic says the librarian, but I'd like to know for sure.