Author Topic: Stuck  (Read 2610 times)

Stuck
« on: November 14, 2012, 06:55:23 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
As I type this, I am stuck in a game where none of the reds are visible, people randomly die, some noob is talking incomprehensibly on chat, and I can't respawn.

Re: Stuck
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 06:59:02 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
Ended up getting kicked to the lobby.

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 03:14:33 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
  • This is the way the world ends
I've had the same kind of experiences, and worse. There have been a few matches that I literally punched an enemy 5 times or unloaded multiple clips into an enemy and not a single ounce of damage was done. Then my shields would start to drop, then my spartan would drop without ever hearing or seeing the shots from whatever hit me.

I think Halo 3 had similar issues at launch, but I'm not sure about Reach. I'm sure there will be an update before the end of the month.
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 03:44:36 PM »

Postmortem

• Forward Unto Dawn Writer
  • Veteran
  • No. There is more. But you are not worthy. Not yet
As far as I understand these aren't issues with the servers, but just a matter of individuals' connections speeds.

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 05:29:48 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
Aside from a little bit of lag on that Rag game we played together I haven't had any serious issues. Clearly I live in a land of rainbows.

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 06:22:54 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
  • This is the way the world ends
Aside from a little bit of lag on that Rag game we played together I haven't had any serious issues. Clearly I live in a land of rainbows.

When did you move to San Francisco?  :P
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 06:25:03 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...

When did you move to San Francisco?  :P

I laughed :P
Signature.

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 10:08:20 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
Just playing Shootout in Valhalla. A Banshee fell through the geometry and got stuck outside the level. I was waiting to see if it could get back, and finally it did... running straight into a tree and exploding for no apparent reason...

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 01:28:11 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
I still think it's kind of stupid that 343i/Microsoft doesn't provide more feedback on peers' connections. If you're going to go the p2p route (personally I like sticking with that because it works for me and I'd rather not worry about servers being turned off),* it's nice to know whose issues are causing slowdowns. It really annoys me when people complain about Halo 4's "shit netcode", when it's often an issue of their own connections or microwaves in the background.

*Of course Capac prolly has a different opinion on this. More controls over locality preferences would be nice like Reach.

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 02:35:48 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
I still think it's kind of stupid that 343i/Microsoft doesn't provide more feedback on peers' connections. If you're going to go the p2p route (personally I like sticking with that because it works for me and I'd rather not worry about servers being turned off),* it's nice to know whose issues are causing slowdowns. It really annoys me when people complain about Halo 4's "shit netcode", when it's often an issue of their own connections or microwaves in the background.

*Of course Capac prolly has a different opinion on this. More controls over locality preferences would be nice like Reach.

I think other aspects of it are bigger problems. Only host gets kicking privileges, lag switching, america and japan based developers assuming everyone playing has a google fiber connection instead of optimizing for wider ping ranges etc.

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 03:39:57 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site

I think other aspects of it are bigger problems. Only host gets kicking privileges, lag switching, america and japan based developers assuming everyone playing has a google fiber connection instead of optimizing for wider ping ranges etc.

America's internet is crap, recent stimulus funds aside. Only about 60% of people actually have broadband, and our ISPs certainly don't provide fiber-level speeds.

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 04:09:15 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero

America's internet is crap, recent stimulus funds aside. Only about 60% of people actually have broadband, and our ISPs certainly don't provide fiber-level speeds.

Not as crap as here. And my point still stands that companies act as if everyone has quantum entanglement routers providing  < 5ms ping.

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 12:57:42 AM »

craZboy557

• Rookie
  • Being invisible, failing at sniping.
I once had a game of invasion where all of the guys on the enemy team tunred into nothing but invincible floating guns and armor abilities. No idea what the fuck happened there.
Unbelievably bitchin' Lego dropships don't just build themselves.

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 05:30:04 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
I once had a game of invasion where all of the guys on the enemy team tunred into nothing but invincible floating guns and armor abilities. No idea what the fuck happened there.

saved film?

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 11:58:33 AM »

craZboy557

• Rookie
  • Being invisible, failing at sniping.
I'm not sure. I probably rage quit so it probably- actually, I think that I did watch it in my temporary history, so I may have saved it. I'll have to check.
Unbelievably bitchin' Lego dropships don't just build themselves.