Author Topic: Bioshock  (Read 8648 times)

Re: Bioshock
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2013, 09:21:23 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
I have a feeling its something you guys take for granted. Like Vegemite here, American Cheese's ubiquity makes it seem normal to you, whilst seeming exotic to outsiders.

Until Costco opened here, the only reliable sources of american cheese were McDonalds and Burger King. Even at Hooters they use swiss cheese on the Philly Cheese Steak (wut).

And it does have its uses. Its ... unique ... texture gives it certain desirable properties in cooking.

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2013, 11:51:41 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
I rest my case

Quote from: wikipedia
American cheese was originally only white, but is sometimes now modified to yellow. In the past, it was made from a blend of cheeses, most often Colby and Cheddar. Today’s American cheese is generally no longer made from blended cheeses, but instead is manufactured from a set of ingredients[1] such as milk, whey, milkfat, milk protein concentrate, whey protein concentrate, and salt. In the United States,[2] it may not be legally sold as "cheese", and must be labeled as "processed cheese", "cheese product", or similar—e.g., "cheese food". At times even the word "cheese" is missing in the name on the label, e.g. "American slices" or "American singles".
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 11:52:29 PM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2013, 03:50:11 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
I have a feeling its something you guys take for granted. Like Vegemite here, American Cheese's ubiquity makes it seem normal to you, whilst seeming exotic to outsiders.

Until Costco opened here, the only reliable sources of american cheese were McDonalds and Burger King. Even at Hooters they use swiss cheese on the Philly Cheese Steak (wut).

And it does have its uses. Its ... unique ... texture gives it certain desirable properties in cooking.

All I learned about Australian oddness like Vegemite I learned from the Men at Work song.

I rest my case

It's got milk, cheese cultures, and whey in there. It's cheese. Processed for shelf life and uniformity, yeah, but cheese.

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2013, 12:55:07 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
I don't care what its called.

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 01:38:56 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
  • This is the way the world ends
Dave; when you completed the brass balls achievement did you play through the whole game on hard without using a vita Chamber or did you do this glitch thing at the boss battle at the end of the game? I keep seeing people say that there is a DLC to download in order to get it but I'm wondering if the XBLA version already has this supposed DLC within it. 
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2013, 03:56:31 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Dave; when you completed the brass balls achievement did you play through the whole game on hard without using a vita Chamber or did you do this glitch thing at the boss battle at the end of the game? I keep seeing people say that there is a DLC to download in order to get it but I'm wondering if the XBLA version already has this supposed DLC within it.

I didn't get the achievement. I played through it on easy without dying and switched it to hard at the last second, which got me the "beat on hard" achievement. Problem is I believe that I accidentally activated a vita chamber at one point even though I never used it. If there's a way to disable then in the settings that might also have something to do with it. Either way I've got to do one more playthrough for the final one :/

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 11:39:32 PM »

That Gunslinger

• Veteran
  • Forerunner Tank: Awesomeness would ensue.
I finished Infinite earlier today. Truly Amazing. It's like The Dark Tower: The Game. Is anyone getting it/have played it? It's way better than the first two in my opinion. I hate to be that guy, but it's a pretty much perfect. Apart from some technical issues with the console versions, and some awkward UI. Apparently the PC version fixes both issues, but I don't have a PC that could run it better than my 360.

OK, now is when you tell me I'm wrong and point out all it's flaws.
"Life is trial Riser."
"For little Elephants as well."

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 11:52:15 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
I finished Infinite earlier today. Truly Amazing. It's like The Dark Tower: The Game. Is anyone getting it/have played it? It's way better than the first two in my opinion. I hate to be that guy, but it's a pretty much perfect. Apart from some technical issues with the console versions, and some awkward UI. Apparently the PC version fixes both issues, but I don't have a PC that could run it better than my 360.

OK, now is when you tell me I'm wrong and point out all it's flaws.

In a couple months when the price is down to $40 or less I will bring this chestnut out :P

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2013, 10:58:51 PM »

Postmortem

• Forward Unto Dawn Writer
  • Veteran
  • No. There is more. But you are not worthy. Not yet
It's first thing on my list once I'm back from GDC.

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2013, 12:12:08 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
PC vs console was the reason it took me so long to get Bioshock.

I might get it when I get a new beefy pc. Dark Tower: The Game has me intrigued.

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2013, 05:19:41 AM »

Postmortem

• Veteran
WHAT THE FUCK! MY BRAIN!

That was brilliant.

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2013, 09:55:31 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
I'll be interested in hearing how you guys respond to this review:
http://gameological.com/2013/03/review-bioshock-infinite/

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2013, 11:33:45 PM »

That Gunslinger

• Veteran
  • Forerunner Tank: Awesomeness would ensue.
I'll be interested in hearing how you guys respond to this review:
http://gameological.com/2013/03/review-bioshock-infinite/

He had a bunch of good points, but ultimately he seemed to be writing this with an agenda, probably to get more page hits. Looking at the comments section, this has clearly worked. At least he was actually critical of the game, rather than virtually every reviewer saying it's pure perfection... actually I'm not sure which is worse.

And was this dude attached at birth to a thesaurus? You're not writing a novel, just a review, so the general public can decide whether to buy a product or not, which this did not say either way from what I can see. He barely mentioned the gameplay at all, which is the most important part of any game, even if some (me included) like to deny that. I actually agree with most of his points, but he's too egotistical to take seriously, and seems to be writing an article, rather than a review.

To answer you question... I mostly agree with him, but this was terrible as a review. I don't even know what his overall impression was apart from some metaphors about theme parks. I hate scoring systems, but at least I know if the reviewer liked the game or not. 10/10: Review of the year, all years.
"Life is trial Riser."
"For little Elephants as well."

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2013, 12:03:27 AM »

Postmortem

• Veteran
I say those are all fair assessments. My fears over another Bioshock sequel fall in line with his as well. The way the story played out, they've literally opened up the door to infinite (i c wut they did thar) possibilities, so doesn't that destroy the uniqueness of the series? I think it would be hard to top this one, given how they ended it.

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2013, 02:18:51 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
This thread needs more System Shock. I'm watching Psychedelic Eyeballs SSII run. Damn that was a good game.