Author Topic: Bioshock  (Read 9068 times)

Re: Bioshock
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2013, 04:20:40 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
This thread needs more System Shock. I'm watching Psychedelic Eyeballs SSII run. Damn that was a good game.
Considering how I disliked Bioshock's watered-down RPG elements I'm not sure I'd like System Shock's more baroque offering.

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2013, 02:56:17 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
Its a little clunky these days, but its held up surprisingly well. System Shock II anyway, I haven't ever gotten the first game working... :(

I'd love to see HD remakes of the System Shock games, but they are in some kind of copyright limbo afaik.

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2013, 03:45:59 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Its a little clunky these days, but its held up surprisingly well. System Shock II anyway, I haven't ever gotten the first game working... :(

I'd love to see HD remakes of the System Shock games, but they are in some kind of copyright limbo afaik.

From Wikipedia:

System Shock 2 has been the top requested game at GOG.com, a digital storefront that sells popular older titles, but the rights to the title have been complicated between Electronic Arts and Meadowbrook Insurance Group (a subsidiary of Star Insurance Company), the entity that acquired the assets of Looking Glass Studios on their closure,[80] though according to a lawyer for Star Insurance, they themselves have since acquired the lingering intellectual property rights from EA.[81] Stephen Kick of Night Dive Studios, seeking to bring the game to modern systems, started negotiations with the rights holders in October 2012, and was able to secure the rights to update and release the game for modern systems. Kick worked with GOG.com for a timed-exclusive release on the site in mid-February 2013, with plans later for release on Steam. This version, considered by GOG.com to be a "collector's edition", includes updates to the original game to make it work on modern systems while still allowing user-made modifications to be applied, and will contain additional material such as the game's soundtrack, maps of the Von Braun, and the original pitch document for the game.
Looks like you may be getting your wish (assuming that the mention of mods means you get to add in texture packs, etc.)

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2013, 05:19:10 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
Holy crap, I did not know about this... Hmm. Very interesting. Looks like its worth it if only for the resolution options...

But did they re-encode the FMV custcenes from the masters, or are they still artifact central? I'm going to have to buy it. Then maybe buy it again on Steam. Kind of derp that all the money for a game I already own will be going to an insurance company, but its still better than giving it to EA.

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2013, 03:08:29 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Holy crap, I did not know about this... Hmm. Very interesting. Looks like its worth it if only for the resolution options...

But did they re-encode the FMV custcenes from the masters, or are they still artifact central? I'm going to have to buy it. Then maybe buy it again on Steam. Kind of derp that all the money for a game I already own will be going to an insurance company, but its still better than giving it to EA.
Oh there's FMV? Not sure what you can do about that, although the video in realMyst was handled well, bizarrely better than Myst III (worst keys known to man,
Halos around the characters.)

EDIT: Six, found the DLC you need to download for the final achievement (disables the vita chambers.) http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Ryan-Industries-Plasmids-and-Gene-Tonics/00000000-0000-400c-80cf-0001545407d8?noSplash=1
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 12:07:40 AM by DangerousDave »

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2013, 09:10:56 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
  • This is the way the world ends
Thank you sir. Does it automatically do so or is it an option?
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2013, 12:33:33 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site

Option. I turned it on as soon as I got control after arriving in Rapture.

Also, you can play through the entire game on Easy and switch to Hard immediately after you stab Fontaine for the last time, and it counts as playing on Hard, so I popped the "brass balls" achievement with about ninety minutes of a speedy playthrough.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 04:40:17 PM by DangerousDave »

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2013, 05:45:30 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
  • This is the way the world ends

Option. I turned it on as soon as I got control after arriving in Rapture.

Also, you can play through the entire game on Easy and switch to Hard immediately after you stab Fontaine for the last time, and it counts as playing on Hard, so I popped the "brass balls" achievement with about ninety minutes of a speedy playthrough.

I had heard about that. Was there a walkthrough or guide you used to get all weapon upgrades, recordings, research, etc? I would like to be able to do only one more playthrough to get all of them so I can (eventually) move on to 2 and Infinite.
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2013, 04:41:08 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
I think I used the CheatCC one but you can backtrack if you need to later on; only killing Cohen  screws up your playthrough. Also save all your invention items unless you can't carry anymore, then as them with the tonic that reduces the amount of ingredients, if you're going for the invention achievement.

In lieu of playing BioShock 2 I'm prolly just going to watch a playthrough. It's just reminded me about how BioShock's timeline doesn't quite gel...

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2013, 10:54:19 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
So I just finished Infinite.

Oh my goodness graciousness. That was amazing. Definately in my top 5 games ever played. I cant even critique it yet, I'm just in so much awe...
Signature.

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2013, 05:00:19 PM »

craZboy557

• Rookie
  • Being invisible, failing at sniping.
Man, I wish my game budget wasn't so slim. I really want to get infinite, but I don't think I have the money, and then there's all the other stuff I want to get....
It has an awesome story with an apparently NOT downer ending, and it doesn't have ADS.... and then there's all this awesome stuff with the skyhook...

Maybe you guys can help. Here's the games I plan on getting around to purchasing, inculding infinite; as well as a few I'm not certain I'll get but am very much considering. Which order do you think I should get them, and which ones?

AC3, Crysis 3, Infinite, possibly a battelfield game, possibly a gears game, possibly the original Halo CE, likely the rest of the Mass Effects (got the first)... I think that's it.

Thoughts? (This might be the wrong thread, but the train of though started at infinite so I figured)
Unbelievably bitchin' Lego dropships don't just build themselves.

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2013, 06:11:01 PM »

Postmortem

• Forward Unto Dawn Writer
  • Veteran
  • No. There is more. But you are not worthy. Not yet
Man, I wish my game budget wasn't so slim. I really want to get infinite, but I don't think I have the money, and then there's all the other stuff I want to get....
It has an awesome story with an apparently NOT downer ending, and it doesn't have ADS.... and then there's all this awesome stuff with the skyhook...

Maybe you guys can help. Here's the games I plan on getting around to purchasing, inculding infinite; as well as a few I'm not certain I'll get but am very much considering. Which order do you think I should get them, and which ones?

AC3, Crysis 3, Infinite, possibly a battelfield game, possibly a gears game, possibly the original Halo CE, likely the rest of the Mass Effects (got the first)... I think that's it.

Thoughts? (This might be the wrong thread, but the train of though started at infinite so I figured)

Pick them up in the following order:
Bioshock Infinite
Mass Effect 2 + 3
Halo: Combat Evolved (you haven't played it?)
Crysis 3
Assassin's Creed 3

I can't comment on the "possibly"s, because that doesn't tell me which game in those series you'd be picking up. And that certainly matters.

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2013, 07:11:57 PM »

craZboy557

• Rookie
As for the possibly's, if you think there's a game in the series worth getting, recomend it. If I intend to get a game in a series I'd probably want either the first one, or one that has a standalone story.

I have anniversary, but not the original CE. I'm only in high school, and I only got an Xbox like, two or three years ago.
I'd want both CE and AE for the former's maps.

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2013, 01:11:40 AM »

Postmortem

• Forward Unto Dawn Writer
  • Veteran
  • No. There is more. But you are not worthy. Not yet
As for the possibly's, if you think there's a game in the series worth getting, recomend it. If I intend to get a game in a series I'd probably want either the first one, or one that has a standalone story.

I have anniversary, but not the original CE. I'm only in high school, and I only got an Xbox like, two or three years ago.
I'd want both CE and AE for the former's maps.

Being a "campaign-only" kind of guy, so my opinion may not count for as much with the "possibly"s. I'd say you're fine with just Anniversary. But that's my preference.

Battlefield 3 is great if you're going in for multiplayer, but again that's not my thing so I can't comment on that too much. The campaign only had one redeemable level to me. Might be worth waiting for Battlefield 4, unless you don't see yourself having the hardware to support it anytime soon.

Gears of War 3 is my go-to lazy game after Halo 4 multiplayer. Horde mode in 3 is one of the best mindless game experiences of my life. But I can't say the same for the campaign. It's definitely a damn good campaign, but only with the other three to support it. Gears 2 is the best single player of the series, in my opinion. But really the whole thing is a package where the main storyline is concerned, you can't just play one.

And don't touch Gears: Judgement. That's just a cash grab.
A poorly concealed one at that.

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2013, 10:04:19 AM »

craZboy557

• Rookie
Yeah, I was thinking that if I was to get gears I would get the whole series.

So at what point in that list 3 posts back should I get Gears?