Author Topic: New Halo 4 Soundtrack  (Read 964 times)

New Halo 4 Soundtrack
« on: April 24, 2013, 06:27:10 PM »

Postmortem

• Forward Unto Dawn Writer
  • Veteran
  • No. There is more. But you are not worthy. Not yet
The track "Aliens" is the one I've been waiting for. I know many won't agree, but in my opinion, this is the song that now defines walking through ancient Forerunner structures.

Additionally, as I was listening to the "Never Forget" version on the soundtrack, I found that the emotions I felt listening to that song reflected my emotions regarding Halo 4, how it relates to Bungie's Halo, and how I feel about their vision going forward. The song itself seems to represent how 343 Industries has appropriated what Bungie created, changed things, left some things the same, and are still continuing to push the property towards an emotionally worthwhile area.

Re: New Halo 4 Soundtrack
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 10:24:19 PM »

That Gunslinger

• Veteran
  • Forerunner Tank: Awesomeness would ensue.
I like to think that the singing in 'Legacy' are the songs of the ancient Humans at the end of Silentium. So tragic and full of loss, but there's still some passion, and hope there. I don't remember the exact quote, but I know it mentioned singing during the gathering that the Humans and Forerunners had on Earth.

I think Davidge should continue to do the ambient and more atmospheric music, because he's incredible at that, and Jinnouchi should do the main themes for future games. '117' shows that he has a better sense of Marty's legacy. There's subtle hints from past pieces that just aren't in Davidge's work. Both of them are incredible of course.

I also want the soundtrack to be used much more effectively. As separate pieces of art, all of them are great, but inserting only 30 seconds of a 3 minute piece into the game is not OK. Some of this stuff is really special (the pieces on Volume 2 of the OST in particular) and it just didn't get used at all.

As a soundtrack it's amazing, and deviates just enough from the previous scores, to keep it familiar, yet new. It doesn't have the emotional weight as the others in the series, but just give it some time. I'm sure in 10 years I'll get all nostalgic about this too.

Not as good as ODST's soundtrack of course. But that goes without saying.  :P
"Life is trial Riser."
"For little Elephants as well."

Re: New Halo 4 Soundtrack
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 05:52:42 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
I like to think that the singing in 'Legacy' are the songs of the ancient Humans at the end of Silentium. So tragic and full of loss, but there's still some passion, and hope there. I don't remember the exact quote, but I know it mentioned singing during the gathering that the Humans and Forerunners had on Earth.

I think Davidge should continue to do the ambient and more atmospheric music, because he's incredible at that, and Jinnouchi should do the main themes for future games. '117' shows that he has a better sense of Marty's legacy. There's subtle hints from past pieces that just aren't in Davidge's work. Both of them are incredible of course.

I also want the soundtrack to be used much more effectively. As separate pieces of art, all of them are great, but inserting only 30 seconds of a 3 minute piece into the game is not OK. Some of this stuff is really special (the pieces on Volume 2 of the OST in particular) and it just didn't get used at all.

As a soundtrack it's amazing, and deviates just enough from the previous scores, to keep it familiar, yet new. It doesn't have the emotional weight as the others in the series, but just give it some time. I'm sure in 10 years I'll get all nostalgic about this too.

Not as good as ODST's soundtrack of course. But that goes without saying.  :P

Agree with all of this, although whoever scores the next game, I'd like them to be in-house. I suspect that's partially the reason for the disjointed music.