Author Topic: Halo's Missing Gametype  (Read 1332 times)

Halo's Missing Gametype
« on: May 17, 2013, 04:45:28 AM »

Postmortem

• Forward Unto Dawn Writer
  • Veteran
  • No. There is more. But you are not worthy. Not yet
I've shown this to a few people already, and general consensus has been that it sounds really fun to play, but that it would be really hard to sell the gametype to other Halo players. I'm really curious what the rest of the Halo fans out there might think, so here's a link to the word doc. Writing this up was a fun little exercise in concepting a gametype for me. :)

Thoughts appreciated:

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/oz79jvk5adoqwb6/Halo_MissingGametype_Brainstorm_IsaacFrankel.docx

Re: Halo's Missing Gametype
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 06:48:08 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
The scan system from the Metroid Prime games was amazing, but seems to have been largely ignored by the development community.

This is a great write up, and I think it would be lots of fun to play. I think it would need a compelling 'research ai' character to make it work.

I'd also love to see it integrated into campaign, either by adding scanning functionality, or more in depth in a 'new game+' type way.

Also, another halo functionality that should get involved is unsc personnel head cams, like in the cutscene in halo ce. It would be amazing to find downed personnel and then watch from their eyes what happened to them, providing clues to ambushes or secrets in the nearby terrain.

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 07:16:59 AM »

That Gunslinger

• Veteran
  • Forerunner Tank: Awesomeness would ensue.
I'd rather play this than shooting aliens and robots for 7 hours straight. It sounds amazing.

I played ODST about a month ago, and it was amazing. I played on Legendary to get it as canonical as possible in my mind, then role-played. I was waiting for brute patrols to pass, and taking out Jackal Snipers before they even saw me. I didn't want to fight unless I had to. I just wanted to experience the world in another view, other than down the barrel of a gun like virtually every other game. There's so much hidden stuff in that map.

For example, I found a dead Brute in the middle of the road with blood splattered behind it's head. I looked to the alleyway he was facing and saw there was a dead Elite with a Beam rifle behind a dumpster. In my head I was already imagining what happened. The rest of the Elite's squad were all killed earlier and now he was alone, hunted by the Brutes. The Elite had come across the brute and was badly wounded as it started beserking. It only just managed to get a headshot off at point-blank range, before crawling in the alleyway and bleeding out. This is what I love the most in Halo games. The environmental story-telling that suggests smaller stories that are infinitely more interesting than the big epic tales.

However, this also sounds rather naive. 343 would never implement something like this, even if they wanted to. M$ would prefer them to make more shooty pewpewpew games to get the widest audience possible. That's why the minority groups like the fiction-lovers, the speed-runners, machinima-makers, forgers etc were completely screwed over and ignored in Halo 4, so I can't see M$ allowing an entire mode dedicated to a minority part of the fan base.

But in a perfect world, yes, I'd play this non-stop. Nice to know I'm not the only one who started a match in Halo Wars just to explore every map. I've also spent way more time exploring Halo 4's maps than I have actually playing on them. The DLC maps are particularly great to explore.
"Life is trial Riser."
"For little Elephants as well."

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 12:37:47 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
Well, I can't really fault Microsoft for trying to maximize its audience, it is a business. On the other hand, I do think there's enough of a "hard-core" campaign audience in Halo that a smaller investment could pay off. Microsoft's goal with Halo 3 was just 1.5 million copies (seems quaint now) and they only though Halo fans were good for 75% of that. So they spent $6.5 million to capture that last $22 million (and have spent ever more since.) I don't doubt you could get 1.5 million Halo fans on board with a $40 ODST-like expansion game, or more if you built in more multiplayer content, etc (Mythic codes) for the base game.

Part of the problem is Halo is a victim of its own success and the resultant expectations. "Star Trek: Enterprise" was cancelled for low ratings on UPN back in 2005, but its average episode was watched by more people than the highest-rated episode of "Mad Men". Quality differences of the shows aside, it seems like changing the "venue" of a Halo game to a more niche audience could work.*

*From a practical standpoint, the only issue I see is personnel costs. ODST came about because there was a team doing nothing after Halo: Chronicles fell apart and before they could really get started on Reach and Destiny. Splitting a team off at 343i to do one of these side titles could detract from the number of people working on Halo 5 or what have you and increase production costs, unless you basically created two studios in one--343i Team 1 for the trilogy, Team 2 for the side games and spinoffs.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 02:38:27 PM »

craZboy557

• Rookie
  • Being invisible, failing at sniping.
This sounds awesome, but I think the gametype is rather limited. As opposed to just science, there could be gametypes with points for kills, exploration, ect.
Love the idea though. Free roaming, and setting up a base, love it.
Unbelievably bitchin' Lego dropships don't just build themselves.