Author Topic: Halo Tv Show  (Read 3009 times)

Halo Tv Show
« on: May 21, 2013, 05:52:20 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
So, a "premium Halo tv show" made by Spielberg.

Whats everyone thinking? I just hope that they make their own new characters that they can really do something new with.

Also, besides the fact that they chose "bonnie ross" to do the announcement and not frankie; I liked everything they said about it
Signature.

Re: Halo Tv Show
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 06:36:13 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
  • This is the way the world ends
Please do this right 343. Obviously this will be a test to see how viable a movie would be just like Forward Unto Dawn.

With that said, this is what I would like to see.

First and foremost: Halsey as the main character with gratuitous amounts of Chief.

Do something that no other visual representation of the medium has done (well) thus far: Set up the universe.

To entice new and returning fans, set some exposition on how humanity got from where we are now to the "Golden Age" of space exploration with slipspace drives, colonization, and most importantly, the emergence of the insurrectionists. Make sure the audience knows the men and women in power armor weren't actually designed to battle aliens.

All of that could be done quickly in a first episode like it was done in Origins, but better. Then introduce Halsey as the main character. Tell us the story of how she restarted the Spartan/Orion program and the selection of the "candidates". Their training, augmentation, etc.

Then first field deployments. Finally, the introduction of the covenant. The fall of Harvest (or Reach) could be a good end to the series with much of the series dedicated to events around these times.

What does that set up perfectly? The first Halo movie at Installation 04 or at Reach (that narrative mess between the novel and the game is going to have to get cleaned up at some point).

To be quite honest, I know that will not happen. It will most likely be some other set story, much like Bonnie pointed that there were hundreds of stories to be told.

Cautiously optimistic. At least it has a worth while director behind it.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 09:03:34 PM by Sixftunder »
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 06:43:57 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
My initial thoughts mirror yours Six, but then I think about how this is essentially HBO XBOX. The audience isn't exactly reaching to the masses, it's catering to a current segment. Unless they think the One will suddenly replace cable, all other set-top boxes, etc.

This is certainly interesting. I have to dwell on the implications more, because they're somewhat... Unprecedented.

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 08:59:51 PM »

That Gunslinger

• Veteran
  • Forerunner Tank: Awesomeness would ensue.
This was the one thing that got any attention from me. I'm pretty excited about this. I can't wait to download a torrent of this every week from the Pirate Bay.

Also, what Six said. Please. That would be perfection, and a genius marketing move. Everyone would be on the same page, and understand the foundation of the Halo universe without having to read the novels and such. Forward Unto Dawn was pretty awesome with a tiny budget, so this should be be amazing... in theory... please be amazing.

Also, regarding the whole reveal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPjUO2YSjn0&list=FL97AoKmPbZWiXPZJY8dYLxg&index=1
"Life is trial Riser."
"For little Elephants as well."

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 09:51:20 PM »

Wazooty

• Rookie
  • Dudebro
When I think about it, it would be hard to do a Halo "movie", because to fully contain the important characters stories, you'd have to do like...20 movies.

I look at game of thrones and think a series could work well if it had a hefty budget.  Let's say the series covers the time period of 2517-2552, for example.  I want it to be comprehensive, not just focus on one set of characters.   There is no "main" character in game of thrones nor LOTR, yet there are certainly some that are more important than others, I feel halo is similar.

These are the plot lines I feel they'd need to cover:
Spartan-IIs (from innocent 6 year old kids into killing machines)
Halsey (all the politics involving her and her attempts to save humanity while being on thin ice with her superiors as well)
Keyes (space combat, yeah!)
Johnson (as he goes from killing innies to killing covies, also part of project orion)
Preston Cole (pretty epic story to tell)
Spartan-IIIs (begins with Kurts abuction, eventually turns into noble teams story)

The way all these characters go down their paths and how their storylines converge and separate is too interesting to only tell one of their paths.  It adds a whole lot of weight to the battle of reach, for example, because virtually all the characters mentioned above who have all been off on their own paths all come together in one momentous event worthy of a season finale.

If they were to continue after that, I could forsee them adding the likes of thel'vadamees story.  Starting with him at the height of his glory after discovering halo, and his gradual fall from grace as master chief/cortana outsmart him on Halo which leads to him being branded a heretic and losing everything he ever stood for.

On another note, I'mma look into band of brothers.  Might give a hint of what to expect, quality wise.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 10:50:09 PM by Wazooty »

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 12:44:17 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
First off; Waz, Band of brothers if flipping awesome. If this series is anything close to that, I will be happy.

As for the focus of the story; Six and Dave I couldn't disagree more; I hope they stay away from the chief as much as they possibly can. I'm sick of the universe relying so much on the "star appeal" of the chief, especially since his character isn't THAT interesting. And in my opinion, live action kinda dampens his character to me. But MOST IMPORTANTLY; you can't very easily expand a universe when you focus everything on the actions of 2 characters.

I have to agree with waz here, It would be a whole lot better if they choose to focus on multiple groups of characters all across the galaxy. And it would make for some awesome finale episodes if all the groups get brought together for some epicness.
Bottom line; if you focus on characters that you make up, then the producers and directors can actually do something great and work with the characters. As opposed to being restricted to making the characters that we already know fit into the story that they are telling

All that said; if they brought Buck back, that would be sick.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 12:48:33 AM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 01:37:34 AM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
Main character wasn't meant to imply every single second of every episode be dedicated to Halsey (or Chief for that matter). An episodic series needs a main character or characters to relate back to. If 343 really wants to bring newcomers into the franchise, which I want them to, then a TV series needs a character to relate to and bring everything together. I just think Halsey would best fit that role. I would hope that in my scenario outlined above that we would see notable characters interacting with the main character(s) like Keyes on the mission to scout John, Halsey speaking with Parangosky about the Spartan project, etc.

Exploring different story lines like in Evolutions would be awesome, but I just don't think it is going to work well in the long run for a TV series. Very few shows do that well and I think there is too much risk for 343 to do that out of the gate with their first TV series for the Halo franchise. Forward Unto Dawn worked well because it centered around a single character - Lasky.

In addition, how much of a story within the Halo universe can really be fleshed out in one episode or even a couple while still contributing to the universe and the central struggle? So now we're watching an episode about Kurt's abduction while the last episode was about Cole's last stand? Where is the connection?

I'm sick of the universe relying so much on the "star appeal" of the chief, especially since his character isn't THAT interesting.

So let's (or more correctly, 343 and Speilberg) make him a more interesting character. 343 seems to want to do so with Halo 4 and Forward Unto Dawn. Let's see him interact with the other kids in training and when they become Spartans. Let's see his interaction with Halsey and Cortana.
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 02:52:40 AM »

Wazooty

• Rookie
  • Dudebro
The only times I really see it being "chief", is when he's by himself.

Most of the time (at least for the first season, as I forsee it) "he" is simply the figurehead of the spartan-IIs of which there are many.

There are things I would change to the storyline so that chief is really only alone when he's on installation 04...but that's another story...

I feel like chiefs particularly stoic stoicism will be more interesting when it has the benefit of being compared to so many other characters.  When you just get chief he sure seems bland.  When there's all these other personalities in the show, he seems awkward...in a good way.  He's the outlier, he's not a normal human, as he shouldn't seem.

On a side note, I could forsee Dr. Halsey being a narrator for the overall series, if one was needed.  The opening of episode 1 I picture as a brief history of humankind, establishing where where are in the 2500's.  Narrated by Dr.Halsey, of course.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 03:13:38 AM by Wazooty »

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 03:04:04 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
Yeah, I'm not suggesting have different characters and stories every time, I think it would be dumb, and also having a whole massive event take place in one episode would be dumb, because it would develop too fast and you wouldn't bond with the characters.

I'm suggesting that they should pick 2 or 3 characters (depending on the length of the series, maybe just 1) in different positions, then follow them on an episode per episode basis. ie, one episode follows Buck and his squad fighting somewhere while trying to win the support of the borderline innie colonists, while maybe the next episode follows some civilian scientist investigating forerunner architecture on a planet that's about to come under siege or a group of ONI agents doing recon in enemy territory. And then they alternate episodes. and each episode serves to advance the narrative of the characters, not necessarily tell a whole and packaged story. So there would be a definite story throughout the whole season, but the individual episodes would focus on the character's and how they behave through the conflict.
My main point is they should create new characters whose positions allow them to be in a variety of situations, as opposed to Master Chief, who basically just shoots, pushes buttons, shoots again, and then goes into cryo; great video game, boring tv show. Because thats why shows like Band of Brothers were so popular; because it was just as much, if not-more so, about life outside of battle as it was in battle.

Also, all the stories you are suggesting have already been told! Why do we need to tell those stories over?!? Why not pick a new story? Why not actually create a good new product, instead of rehashing something we've seen over and over.

Not everything has to directly advance the main story! Building a decent universe is just as important. And furthermore, building a universe that deepens the characters and conflicts and races and events does contribute to the main events by making them more meaningful.

Quote from: Six
So let's (or more correctly, 343 and Speilberg) make him a more interesting character. 343 seems to want to do so with Halo 4 and Forward Unto Dawn. Let's see him interact with the other kids in training and when they become Spartans. Let's see his interaction with Halsey and Cortana.
Forward Unto Dawn didn't do that at all though, he showed up said "I'm master chief, follow me, I'm gonna kill things" and then proceeded to do such. He isn't a great character for narrative story telling. But he makes a great character for video games; cause it allows the player to insert his or her own personality into the gaps and see the Chief as whoever he or she wants too.
Signature.

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 03:17:38 AM »

Wazooty

• Rookie
  • Dudebro
They've all been told in books, so has LOTR, so has Game of Thrones and so on.

Seeing these things in a living breathing movie/show is, imo a huge new dimension to everything.  More than enough to justify making them. 

(imo)

Particularly in halo where all of the stories are split across about 5000 different forms of media.

Seeing one comprehensive series would be tits.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 03:48:49 AM by Wazooty »

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 03:30:40 AM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
Forward Unto Dawn didn't do that at all though, he showed up said "I'm master chief, follow me, I'm gonna kill things" and then proceeded to do such. He isn't a great character for narrative story telling. But he makes a great character for video games; cause it allows the player to insert his or her own personality into the gaps and see the Chief as whoever he or she wants too.

We can agree to disagree. I thought FUD did a great job of adding subtleties to define him. Things like when he tells (Kelly?) over the radio that he wont leave Lasky and his crew behind implies that he either had orders to abandon them and did otherwise or obviously has a different mindset than the other "guys in power armor" or when he gave the piece of Hunter armor to (Lasky?) and didn't say a word. You can infer that he is young (and probably pale) by seeing Kelly and Fred take off their helmets. Little things like that can go a long way. Chief doesn't need to give a monologue every episode or constantly speak to be an engaging character. Portraying his character correctly would be a true display of showing that actions speak louder than words and I personally would love to see that done right.

Also, all the stories you are suggesting have already been told! Why do we need to tell those stories over?!? Why not pick a new story? Why not actually create a good new product, instead of rehashing something we've seen over and over.

Well we've never actually seen these stories before for the most part; we've only read about them  :P Besides, I think a movie or TV show would benefit from portraying this origins stories before first covering new ground. Let 343 and a big name director/producer create a well done series depicting these stories as proof of concept and then move into new waters.
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 11:38:28 PM »

Wazooty

• Rookie
  • Dudebro
SO it appears Steven is the executive producer.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=465019500245993&set=a.137195553028391.36395.120685448012735&type=1&theater

Not as involved as I hoped, but I really really hope they get someone to do it justice.  If it's just a longer fud, I really don't want it.  That's just a missed opportunity.  IF they can't make the spartans armor look about as good as in the iron man films....bleh.

Also, it apparently has a prodution value along the lines of GoT:
http://variety.com/2013/digital/news/first-original-shows-to-appear-on-xbox-live-by-end-of-year-1200485848/

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 10:38:18 AM »

craZboy557

• Rookie
  • Being invisible, failing at sniping.
Y'know, a year or so ago I tried watching Star Trek. It was pretty good, but sometimes I kinda wished there could be some good action. I found myself thinking, "I wish there was a Sci-Fi that watching it was like playing Halo."
I'm not saying that's what I expect this to be like, but I still find this anecdote amusing.
Think they might put it on Waypoint as well? At the moment it looks like I'll be going with the PS4 so if it's only on the One I'll probably miss this.
Unbelievably bitchin' Lego dropships don't just build themselves.

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 01:11:52 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
Y'know, a year or so ago I tried watching Star Trek. It was pretty good, but sometimes I kinda wished there could be some good action. I found myself thinking, "I wish there was a Sci-Fi that watching it was like playing Halo."
I'm not saying that's what I expect this to be like, but I still find this anecdote amusing.
Think they might put it on Waypoint as well? At the moment it looks like I'll be going with the PS4 so if it's only on the One I'll probably miss this.

I figure they'd prolly license it out to Netflix like FUD in the longer term, after first-run stuff.

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 10:48:04 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
I'm sure I posted a comment about cut and pasting the new BSG...

Anyways, I'm typing this out like a boss on my iphone using the bluetooth keyboard that came with Learn with Pokemon Typing Adventure lulz.

'm interested to see where this goes, but there are a few things:

Spielberg is producing right? This is no gaurantee of quality. Transformers case in point.

Xbox 'One' exclusive = guaranteed trip to pirate bay.

Will this be another 'linking' content like FUD? Or standalone?