Author Topic: Halo Tv Show  (Read 3113 times)

Re: Halo Tv Show
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 12:19:40 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
I'm sure I posted a comment about cut and pasting the new BSG...

Anyways, I'm typing this out like a boss on my iphone using the bluetooth keyboard that came with Learn with Pokemon Typing Adventure lulz.

'm interested to see where this goes, but there are a few things:

Spielberg is producing right? This is no gaurantee of quality. Transformers case in point.

Xbox 'One' exclusive = guaranteed trip to pirate bay.

Will this be another 'linking' content like FUD? Or standalone?

Do we know this is a 'One' exclusive? I don't think they'd ultimately miss out on their massive Xbox 360 install base. Peter Molyneux pointed out that I don't think that would be attractive to Spielberg either (he was on an episode of IGN's Podcast Unlocked, and he was pretty brilliant and had some salient points on the One, was characteristically unmolyneux-like.) What makes more sense to me is maybe a week's exclusivity to One users, then it goes out to general Live audiences.

As to Spielberg producing--the whole reason we've not seen a movie is because Microsoft clearly thinks that they will keep more creative control (and money) by doing things like this. It's a greedy move that has absolutely benefited us as Halo fans. I'm sure that if the same Spielberg-attaches-his-name-money-stamping thing is going on here, that means 343 has more control and that's likely to give us better results than the usual TV franchise dreck (I do hope they hire good TV writers too though, and just keep tight control on the lore and canon side.)

As to content, to me it would make a lot of sense for this to be a gateway Halo to try and attract people who think the games are all shooty aliens, so I would think a broader series would make sense as opposed to a "Halo Origins" approach of smaller, inconsequential stories, but they'd also be limited by budget. I dunno on this one, it could be a toss-up, but I firmly believe Microsoft is trying to push Halo into a position that no other video game franchise has ever occupied (or been successful at.)

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013, 12:43:02 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
  • This is the way the world ends
It appears the show is set to premier in Q2 of 2014.

www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-12-16-xbox-original-tv-content-to-start-by-q2-2014

Will anyone have an Xbone then to fill us in?
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 10:46:30 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
It appears the show is set to premier in Q2 of 2014.

www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-12-16-xbox-original-tv-content-to-start-by-q2-2014

Will anyone have an Xbone then to fill us in?

I'm waiting for a Halo bundle meself :P

Every bit of info you see on the consoles, it really seems like Sony pushed everyone into 2013 instead of 2014 where Microsoft clearly wanted to be--I don't think these things were delayed so much as "well we need to show our hand a bit, who have we actually inked deals with". As the article points out, even Microsoft doesn't seem to have a clue how this TV thing will work--I'm guessing they sort of ape the VOD aspect combined with publicizing the weekly schedule or whatever to have the same "everyone watch it live" experience.

Difference is Microsoft isn't Netflix. So is it basically massive marketing to value-add to Xbox Gold as well as boost awareness for their games?

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 10:48:36 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero

Same here
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2013, 12:13:07 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site

Same here

Fall 2014 it is!

(I kinda wanna' wait until a price drop or a slim revision, but I doubt that'll be for quite some time. Then again it's not *that* huge.)

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2013, 07:04:28 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
I'm waiting for Halo on Xbone too.

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2013, 01:14:16 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
I'm kinda waiting for a Halo as well; although I'm sure someone on youtube will have an xbone to show us
Signature.

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2013, 02:31:51 AM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
I'm kinda waiting for a Halo as well; although I'm sure someone on youtube will have an xbone to show us

In sure someone on YouTube will also flag that video for copyright infringement within seconds of it being posted
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2014, 12:17:23 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2014, 01:10:07 AM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
That or MS realizes that when net neutrality ends people won't want to use their xboxs as entertainment devices let alone pay even more for the services they currently enjoy. I find that amusingly ironic.

Anyway, I really don't think showtime will see an increase in subscriptions if this were to happen. Halo fans own xboxs for Halo. Thats where they're going to watch it.
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2014, 02:33:24 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
That or MS realizes that when net neutrality ends people won't want to use their xboxs as entertainment devices let alone pay even more for the services they currently enjoy. I find that amusingly ironic.

Anyway, I really don't think showtime will see an increase in subscriptions if this were to happen. Halo fans own xboxs for Halo. Thats where they're going to watch it.

I'll probably wait until the bonus extended version that comes with the next Halo game and be disappointed that its a 10gb download rather than included on a disc. Again.

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2014, 02:41:03 AM »

Sixftunder

• Hero

I'll probably wait until the bonus extended version that comes with the next Halo game and be disappointed that its a 10gb download rather than included on a disc. Again.

If I recall correctly you will be able to watch it on your 360 if you don't want to wait
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2014, 02:46:48 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
I think Microsoft's being pragmatic and smart. Reach the audience you can, sell your device as *a* gateway rather than the only one. Making TV costs money--this reads more as a way to boost the production rather than abandoning the idea of Xbox TV. They're clearly invested in it and everything I've heard sounds cool. We'll see what they deliver.

Thinking about Halo on cable is kind of bizarre, in a way, after all the Halo movie stuff. But it makes a fit. Game of Thrones showed you could pull off an extensive, costly production with a limited fanbase (or at least a limited fanbase that isn't just torrenting it.)