Author Topic: Bootcamp  (Read 4429 times)

Bootcamp
« on: May 24, 2013, 11:49:17 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
  • This is the way the world ends
A friend of mine pointed this out to me and I have no idea what to make of it and the way Microsoft/Frankie apparently are handling it. A third person shooter within the universe, possibly only PC or mobile platforms?

I'm sure it's a hoax, but there doesn't seem to be much else in the Halo universe to discuss at the moment so let's speculate away! Especially the staffers, since I know you all love your GAF  ;)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=59046057
Praise Bird Jesus!

Re: Bootcamp
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 12:07:29 AM »

craZboy557

• Rookie
  • Being invisible, failing at sniping.
Just saw this on Saucey's channel. Looks like it might show the Chief fighting Innies? I'm not certain, it was rather vauge, but that's my guess. Couldn't beleive Saucey didn't get that
Unbelievably bitchin' Lego dropships don't just build themselves.

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 03:38:37 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
Windows phone halo? They should have done it years ago.

PC? lol Microsoft doesn't believe in pc gaming.

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 03:57:32 AM »

Wazooty

• Rookie
  • Dudebro
Frankie and Microsoft confirmed it's real.

Frankie said it's something he's always wanted to do so I'm guessing it has to do with the S-IIs or III's training.  He can't have always wanted to do it if it was about something relatively recent like the IVs.

I dunno what to think of it.  If we're running around as a bunch of 6 year olds doing training drills...doesn't seem that....fun?

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 04:40:04 AM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
Playing as a young Chief commanding the rest of the cadets in a RTS/RPG type game might be cool if it worked well. The scene from TFoR where the cadets are scattered around an area with a piece of a larger map and then must regroup to reach the Pelican and then trick the guards out of the area comes to mind. For a fiction buff that would be entertaining if the controls worked well but it wouldn't appeal to the larger audience that wants to play dudes and dudettes in power armor shooting pew pew guns.

But with a title like Bootcamp I feel like there is only so much it could be. ODST training maybe?
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 05:23:22 AM »

Wazooty

• Rookie
  • Dudebro
Asquad based third person shooter would be fun, but I don't see why they wouldn't extend it to the entire pre halo discovery era?

While doing some basic starter drills as the children would be fun, doing battle all the way up to the fall of reach would be awesome.

Think of a mass effect style halo game...

hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggg

Obviously there would be no paragon/renegade, but if there were options for each and every mission with real consequences (for non story integral characters), that'd be pretty awesome.

Each mission you get some intel, get to choose a loadout, squadmates, etc.  You can even send other squads on other missions (a la ass creed bro) and make "credits" or something to buy upgrades.

Could be awesome.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 05:31:11 AM by Wazooty »

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 05:36:52 AM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
Think of a mass effect style halo game...

:P
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 10:26:39 AM »

craZboy557

• Rookie
  • Being invisible, failing at sniping.
I don't really think they'll cover the whole "six year olds kidnapped, replaced with clones, and then trained to be soldiers" thing. I think it might be a bit too grey for the casuals.
Unbelievably bitchin' Lego dropships don't just build themselves.

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 10:27:00 AM »

That Gunslinger

• Veteran
  • Forerunner Tank: Awesomeness would ensue.
Oh come on Six. You know that's what you want, deep down. Maybe... maybe this time it will be different.

"The Master Chief has become a legend by ending the Promethean threat. Now you can continue to build that legend through further gameplay and downloadable content."

I'm pretty sure Microsoft announced it wasn't making any more games for windows, so it could only be on Mobile stuff really. Since they aren't being very secretive about it, it obviously isn't a AAA title.
"Life is trial Riser."
"For little Elephants as well."

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 12:41:14 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
Since we don't know anything at all about the series besides the fact that it exists, so all speculation is really quite futile;

HALO BATTLEFRONT CONFIRMED AAAAAAAAAAAAGHGHGHGHGHGGGHHHHHH YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 12:41:50 PM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 05:34:22 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
Since we don't know anything at all about the series besides the fact that it exists, so all speculation is really quite futile;

HALO BATTLEFRONT CONFIRMED AAAAAAAAAAAAGHGHGHGHGHGGGHHHHHH YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!

Yeah that's what I'm hoping for in a 3rd person shooter. Squad combat could easily be first person.

That said, Frankie also said to keep expectations in check, so I'm not sure if it's going to be a huge release.

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 06:57:02 PM »

Wazooty

• Rookie
  • Dudebro
A bunch of mini games aimed at children, with a dora the explorer style John-117 guiding you along.

Aimed at ages 6-10.

Teach your kids the power of teamwork, the importance of physical fitness, discipline and why steroids are bad unless you're an elite physical specimen in which case you'll probably get a contract with the NFL and make millions or something.

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 12:42:05 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
Its an over the shoulder boxing game where you play as a small child who kills seasoned veterans.

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 06:59:58 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
It seems Microsoft has registered some new domain names according to the following GameInformer article:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/06/01/halo-spartan-assault-domain-names-registered-by-service-previously-used-by-microsoft.aspx

Fusible has noticed that domains for Halo: Spartan Assault have recently been registered by MarkMonitor, a company that helps protect brand identity.

The registrations for Halo-SpartanAssault.com (and .net), HaloSpartanAssault.com (and .net), and SpartanAssault.net were initiated on May 30, 2013. Fusible also points out that Halo: Spartan Assault is the name of a piece of fan fiction written in 2009.

I would imagine this is related to the Bootcamp project, but I suppose it could be something new though I doubt 343 would be working on three different games at a time (Halo 5, Bootcamp, and this).

I don't read fan fiction but I would consider reading this to maybe gain an understanding of what the game's story might entail. Has anyone heard of it and/or know where to find it?
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 01:07:23 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
It seems Microsoft has registered some new domain names according to the following GameInformer article:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/06/01/halo-spartan-assault-domain-names-registered-by-service-previously-used-by-microsoft.aspx

Fusible has noticed that domains for Halo: Spartan Assault have recently been registered by MarkMonitor, a company that helps protect brand identity.

The registrations for Halo-SpartanAssault.com (and .net), HaloSpartanAssault.com (and .net), and SpartanAssault.net were initiated on May 30, 2013. Fusible also points out that Halo: Spartan Assault is the name of a piece of fan fiction written in 2009.

I would imagine this is related to the Bootcamp project, but I suppose it could be something new though I doubt 343 would be working on three different games at a time (Halo 5, Bootcamp, and this).

I don't read fan fiction but I would consider reading this to maybe gain an understanding of what the game's story might entail. Has anyone heard of it and/or know where to find it?

That is your first mistake :P We don't actually know if Microsoft registered the domains, just that the domains were registered through a third party Microsoft uses. I ain't speculating much on what it could be--as you say it seems like too many projects in the pipeline at this point; if anything it might be a "lets get the domain names for that junior exec's idea" kind of thing that won't materialize.