Author Topic: Bootcamp  (Read 4415 times)

Re: Bootcamp
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2013, 02:24:01 PM »

Wazooty

• Rookie
  • Dudebro
On neogaf not too long ago someone found something pertaining to a game about chiefs career pre-halo.

Could be spartan assault, I suppose.

I feel like the spartan-II story would be the perfect thing to make into a season by season thing a la spartan ops.  Bootcamp could be season one, culminating in fighting the innies.  Season 2 is the human covenant war.  Etc.  They could do a whole bunch of characters with unique playstyles, S-IIIs, marines, etc.

EH...........
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 04:59:18 PM by Wazooty »

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 02:12:17 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
On neogaf not too long ago someone found something pertaining to a game about chiefs career pre-halo.

Could be spartan assault, I suppose.

I feel like the spartan-II story would be the perfect thing to make into a season by season thing a la spartan ops.  Bootcamp could be season one, culminating in fighting the innies.  Season 2 is the human covenant war.  Etc.  They could do a whole bunch of characters with unique playstyles, S-IIIs, marines, etc.

EH...........

The reason I will always be wary of a Spartan-II-based story is because of the incredible demands that would place on AI. Friendly AI is really, really tricky to do, and Halo doesn't have any kind of track record with it. (Mostly, they didn't bother with it and focused on the enemies, and then in Reach the results were middling to catastrophic.) Hell, even Elizabeth in Infinite has some flaws that become glaring after a spell, and she's the centerpiece of the entire game. It's perhaps the single hardest aspect of game development, and I'm not sure how well you could pull it off in a season format.

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 01:03:41 AM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
  • This is the way the world ends

Is it real? Is it fake? Is that supposed to be Halo 5 in the bottom right hand corner?
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2013, 01:19:16 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site

Is it real? Is it fake? Is that supposed to be Halo 5 in the bottom right hand corner?

Where's it from? For all we know it's just some poor sap's stab with the Halo face and assets.

(Although I totally want Fable IV. Probably my favorite RPG out there.)

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 01:22:00 AM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
http://www.insidegamingdaily.com/2013/06/03/rumors-galore-xbox-one-games-potentially-leaked-microsoft-registers-domains-for-halo-spartan-assault/

Halo 4 was announced at E3 2011 and released November 2012.... Halo 5 announced E3 2013 released November 2014?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 01:32:58 AM by Sixftunder »
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2013, 02:20:54 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Hmm.

Halo 2 announced/released: September 2002 / November 2004 (delayed) [26 months; previous game out 10 months]

Halo 3 announced/released: May 2006 / September 2007 [16 months; previous game out 18 months]

ODST announced/released: July/October 2008 / September 2009 [14-11 months, depending on count]

Reach announced/released: June 2009 / September 2010 [15 months; previous game out 21 months]

Halo 4 announced/released: June 2011 / November 2012  [17 months; previous game out 9 months]

Halo 5? If announced: 7 months.

I dunno. The Spartan Assault and Bootcamp stuff seems like too much other things going on that they'd push out Halo 5's announcement this early. I imagine MS is more interested in pumping out news for launch titles and early (within a year) exclusives for the console. A Halo game far in the future isn't really that helpful.

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2013, 02:33:20 AM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
I dunno. The Spartan Assault and Bootcamp stuff seems like too much other things going on that they'd push out Halo 5's announcement this early. I imagine MS is more interested in pumping out news for launch titles and early (within a year) exclusives for the console. A Halo game far in the future isn't really that helpful.

Well referring back to Halo 4's announcement, it came alongside the Halo: CEA announcement which did come out in the same year, so maybe Spartan Assault is this year and Halo 5 next year? The console launch does throw a quirk into it though. Maybe MS is just trying to get people hyped to buy the console early.
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2013, 02:54:10 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
I'm frankly not sure 343i could put out a decent Halo 5 in that amount of time. As large a staff as they have, we don't really know the composition, and we do know that many of the hands that touched it and are including in that number were contractors/outsourced. It seems like too soon a ramp-up for the main team, since they would have had to be prototyping and doing concept work for Halo 5 months before Halo 4 came out. I dunno. It just feels rushed all sorts of ways (but hey it is Microsoft we speak of.)

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2013, 02:57:09 AM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
I completely agree, it doesn't seem enough time. Though maybe they were working on it well before Halo 4's release and that is why the campaign for Halo 4 was so short  :P
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2013, 12:08:36 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
I completely agree, it doesn't seem enough time. Though maybe they were working on it well before Halo 4's release and that is why the campaign for Halo 4 was so short  :P

I think Halo 4's development was so crazy nothing of significance could have actually gotten done concurrently.

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2013, 01:39:49 PM »

Wazooty

• Rookie
  • Dudebro
Announcing Halo 5 doesn't mean they need to have any significant progress on the game.

They already have the reclaimer saga laid out.  Wouldn't have been too hard to start working on a baller CG announcement trailer ages ago.

On another note: spartan assault is a fun looking arcade game, nothing major: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjDr9D4m7E4&feature=youtu.be
Makes me wonder if this is "bootcamp", as it is for "pc".

Pretty much implies that there will be a much bigger more important halo shown at E3.  Maybe nit Halo 5, but who knows.

Edit: whyyyyyyyyy isn't this an xbla game?  It would be so perfect and actually sell.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 04:43:08 PM by Wazooty »

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2013, 06:21:07 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/4/4392674/halo-spartan-assault-windows-8

Sounds like a cheaper game with paid unlocks for some stuff.  Polygon liked the controls.

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2013, 08:05:11 PM »

craZboy557

• Rookie
  • Being invisible, failing at sniping.
The PA Report actually didn't like the controls. They didn't seem to hold it in much regard at all actually.
Here's the article: http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/the-next-halo-game-is-coming-to-hardware-you-dont-have-and-software-you-don
Unbelievably bitchin' Lego dropships don't just build themselves.

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2013, 08:24:02 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
I have the feeling bootcamp might be something else, namely Spielberg's TV series.
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2013, 11:56:58 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
I don't think Spielberg's Halo series has a name, period.

At least the Spartan Assault stuff shows that tile image above is bull (or at the very least very outdated.)