Author Topic: Project Contingency  (Read 1495 times)

Project Contingency
« on: August 13, 2013, 11:33:12 AM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
  • This is the way the world ends
I know I can't be the only one who's heard about this, right?

While there might not be much to talk about the game itself it is worth bringing up whether it will ever come to fruition. The developers say that they have received the blessing of Lord O'Connor and miss Wolfkill but we know the rights to the IP belongs to Microsoft.

Even if these developers follow all legal guidance and act within the law, do you think Microsoft will allow this game to be made?

Also, the teaser clip looks very similar to New Alexandria from Reach. Might this game be the portrayal of the fall of Reach from the novel? Guaranteed no but a man can dream
Praise Bird Jesus!

Re: Project Contingency
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 04:33:30 PM »

craZboy557

• Rookie
  • Being invisible, failing at sniping.
Uhn? Is that that fan Halo game that I've heard some people mention?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 10:31:36 PM by craZboy557 »
Unbelievably bitchin' Lego dropships don't just build themselves.

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 10:28:14 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/01/project-contingency-is-a-fan-made-halo-game/

Personally, I'm expecting it to go the way of Venerance, another fan-made Halo mod that seems mostly at a standstill these days: http://venerance.net

It's hard to do a project like this, especially if you don't have a core motivated group.

I'm still really hoping the people behind Starry Expanse keep trucking and I get a real-time navigable version of Riven :) Ironically they're doing a much more ambitious project in rebuilding a game from the ground up, but they've been going at it with tangible progress for years. A lot of these projects never get past tech demo and concept art.

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 03:16:32 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
Halo on PC = FORBIDDEN

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 06:10:34 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
What if I were to tell you the Halo Trilogy with a F2P multi component was in the works?

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 09:43:34 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
Has Microsoft actually been that bad about shutting down people's projects? Usually destroying any kind of community made content is nintendo's forte, I don't particularly associate it with Microsoft though; they seem pretty chill and smart in this area; realizing that projects like this will just bolster the fan base and keep them involved in the universe, with little to no probable negative effects.

Although Dave's right; the biggest obstacle they will probably have to overcome is the possible lack of real dedication.

On their website the devs say that they aren't "just making another halo game for the pc" that they are "trying a bunch of crazy new things" which actually has me interested in the final outcome; It annoys me when fan-games like this try to just recreate the exact same experiences as the mainstream versions.

What if I were to tell you the Halo Trilogy with a F2P multi component was in the works?
Is this actually something you've heard, or are you just being evil?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 09:50:31 PM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 09:57:52 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Has Microsoft actually been that bad about shutting down people's projects? Usually destroying any kind of community made content is nintendo's forte, I don't particularly associate it with Microsoft though; they seem pretty chill and smart in this area; realizing that projects like this will just bolster the fan base and keep them involved in the universe, with little to no probable negative effects.

Although Dave's right; the biggest obstacle they will probably have to overcome is the possible lack of real dedication.

On their website the devs say that they aren't "just making another halo game for the pc" that they are "trying a bunch of crazy new things" which actually has me interested in the final outcome; It annoys me when fan-games like this try to just recreate the exact same experiences as the mainstream versions.
Not really, actually, it's probably helped foster a stronger Halo community as a result. The only notable example I can think of was Halo: Faith, and I'd like to believe that's because the creator was shamelessly trying to promote himself rather than create an actual production (I doubt it would have actually seen the light of day if they hadn't shut him down, and given that it's not something Microsoft talks about I wouldn't be surprised if he actually made things up.)

All in all the MS game rules are I think eminently fair. Let the fans go nuts doing whatever as long as they don't represent it as something official, and they aren't trying to make loads of money off it.

Is this actually something you've heard, or are you just being evil?

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 11:45:12 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to wipe some dust off the Halo Wars and Halo MMO files and slap together a F2P dota style game so they can pretend to Riot.