Author Topic: Champions Bundle DLC  (Read 3487 times)

Re: Champions Bundle DLC
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 12:54:29 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
But considering DLC adoption has always been low requiring it probably would just turn off more players, rather than driving sales. It's not all MS being blameless of course--they should discount the DLC more frequently and bundle it together for ease of purchase, etc, but it's also a historic trend that paid DLC has never been heavily successful. If the multiplayer doesn't do fantastically, in just not sure a more expensive campaign add-on really would just automatically make money like you suppose. Without seeing their sales figures I guess we can't really say one way or another.

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2013, 12:33:52 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
How can it fail? Half Life Episode 1 and 2 did great, and set up a perfect, reliable trend in episodic game campaigns!

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 01:10:49 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
I think Capac's previous sarcasm broke my instruments. Now I can't tell if he's being sincere or not...

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2013, 03:53:21 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
I just want some new, non-Karen Traviss / non-Sarah FacePalmer narrative.

Hmm...

Sarah Palmer...

Sarah Palin...

Thanks Google.

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2013, 05:11:42 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
Unless the reason that Halo dlc has traditionally failed is because most of the crowd isn't in the game for the multiplayer; perhaps an extended story dlc is what they need to reverse the trend of lackluster dlc sales
Signature.

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2013, 04:50:13 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Unless the reason that Halo dlc has traditionally failed is because most of the crowd isn't in the game for the multiplayer; perhaps an extended story dlc is what they need to reverse the trend of lackluster dlc sales

That's a fair point I hadn't considered; I guess I've operated on the assumption that Halo multiplayer fans greatly outnumber those in it for the story.

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2013, 12:29:14 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
Multiplayer fans do outnumber us real fans (lol). But MP gets repetitive, and not everyone has time to devote hours a day to playing it.

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2013, 03:40:16 AM »

Slightly Live

• Forward Staff
  • Rookie
  • Logical Plague
    • Forward Unto Dawn
Im gonna assume this pack didnt suddenly reverse the fortunes of Halo 4's multiplayer.

Unfortunate.

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 04:11:22 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
I think with the mainstream "release game then release small dlc packs" model, there isn't ever really any hope to truely fix any mistakes deeper seeded than some missed bugs or surface imbalances glitches. I think its extremely difficult for them to actually make big changes, and even if they had, its even harder to win back an audience thats uninstalled the game.

Also, Woah! I can hardly remember the last time we were graced by your presence here slightly ; ) Did you get banned from Gaf or something?
Signature.

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2013, 04:36:52 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
I think with the mainstream "release game then release small dlc packs" model, there isn't ever really any hope to truely fix any mistakes deeper seeded than some missed bugs or surface imbalances glitches. I think its extremely difficult for them to actually make big changes, and even if they had, its even harder to win back an audience thats uninstalled the game.

Also, Woah! I can hardly remember the last time we were graced by your presence here slightly ; ) Did you get banned from Gaf or something?

They say that every twenty years, the man known as Slightly Live emerges from his wet, subterranean lair and walks the lands of mortal men...

as for "big changes", if you consider the use of tac/support packages, global sprint and AAs "big changes" as many hardcore Halo fans do, then I think you can safely say Halo 4 did change drastically. The weapon balance received a fairly significant change, bringing the BR to 4-shots to kill among other things. It definitely changed the game--I remember how often people used the Boltshot at launch and it's a stark night-and-day difference. You can essentially play Reach or H3-styled games in almost every playlist; if you've got a party in matchmaking you can probably ignore Infinity entirely. Pride, or a commitment to their original product does mean you probably won't see it shift entirely, at least not until it receives some end-of-life update; they haven't made any promises about keeping the original game so they wouldn't necessarily leave Infinity Halo 4 around like they did with Reach's playlist consolidation and vanilla/bloom modes.

But yeah I don't think there was ever any hope of winning back most players, even if they had just scrapped everything and gone back to classic Halo (assuming that's what the masses actually wanted.) But the Champions bundle was clearly aimed at mostly pleasing core fans, Resistor and Survivor perks aside.

DLC policies are another topic entirely.