Author Topic: Halo: Xbox one. first details  (Read 11599 times)

Re: Halo: Xbox one. first details
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2013, 06:53:15 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
I think there is something to be said for a linear experience; but you can still have large areas or areas that have a lot of paths and things. I feel kinda like Halo 4 was pretty much just a strait path all the way through.
Signature.

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2013, 12:33:13 AM »

Wazooty

• Rookie
  • Dudebro
Well, I suppose mass effect is linear, but it has soooo many other things going for it that it doesn't really matter.

Having a linear non interactive story to go with your mostly linear non interactive gameplay feels like it's adhering to ideals that have passed the industry by.  As in...to do something like that again would seem like a joke.

I don't know what 343 wants with Halo 5...they seem awfully interested in making Halo like it was 11 years ago despite having a universe and an industry that has passed that era by.  Halos story is huge, it needs something more.  It has open spaces with lots of personal choice in approaching them, but it had that 11 year ago...lets take it to the next level!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 12:35:41 AM by Wazooty »

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2013, 03:23:05 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
60 FPS and Oculus Rift would be nice too.

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2013, 03:29:07 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
Well, I suppose mass effect is linear, but it has soooo many other things going for it that it doesn't really matter.

Having a linear non interactive story to go with your mostly linear non interactive gameplay feels like it's adhering to ideals that have passed the industry by.  As in...to do something like that again would seem like a joke.

I don't know what 343 wants with Halo 5...they seem awfully interested in making Halo like it was 11 years ago despite having a universe and an industry that has passed that era by.  Halos story is huge, it needs something more.  It has open spaces with lots of personal choice in approaching them, but it had that 11 year ago...lets take it to the next level!

The flip side is that many fans came to Halo precisely because it offered grant story in a large universe where the player character plays an important role, and there's no reason why they need to deviate from it--space opera hasn't become obsolete.

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2013, 06:32:32 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero

The flip side is that many fans came to Halo precisely because it offered grant story in a large universe where the player character plays an important role, and there's no reason why they need to deviate from it--space opera hasn't become obsolete.

Just a little stagnant.

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2013, 07:02:06 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
So what do you think is the alternative? (I already treat the spinoffs as something of a leavener already.)

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2013, 04:38:27 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
They should push the boundaries with spin-offs more.

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2013, 05:46:52 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
The alternative is to innovate; but I dont think that 343 is in the situation to be able to; microsoft wont take any risks with their flagship money maker, Experimentation and advancement of the industry is something for new franchises and indie developers; not old series that only exist to be exploited for money.

My only hope is that if destiny manages to make enough of a splash and we get a COD that flops, maybe microsoft will give 343 permission to deviate from the path they are on.
Signature.

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2013, 12:11:35 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
I get the distinct impression that Bungie had far more wiggle room than 343 does now.

I'm sure 343's idea of innovation is releasing the Halo 2 10th anniversary HD edition on the X-bone. If they REALLY want to push the 'innovation' it will have Halo 4 compatible multi-player with next gen graphics and release coordinated with season 2 of Spartan Ops.

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2013, 09:41:55 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
To me, that's not innovation, though--that's providing a better user experience.

And that's all I really want from Halo. I think the core gameplay of Halo CE plays fine ten years later, and I'm fairly certain it will ten years from now. They don't need to reinvent the wheel.

If you want to provide a better experience, I'd argue it's not about the core game so much as miscellaneous features--is Forge more capable? Is it easier to share or capture files? If I'm a competitive player what venues do I have to watch? What about learning about the story? Those are the areas where things could always and should be improved.

« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2013, 05:33:04 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
To me, that's not innovation, though--that's providing a better user experience.

And that's all I really want from Halo. I think the core gameplay of Halo CE plays fine ten years later, and I'm fairly certain it will ten years from now. They don't need to reinvent the wheel.

If you want to provide a better experience, I'd argue it's not about the core game so much as miscellaneous features--is Forge more capable? Is it easier to share or capture files? If I'm a competitive player what venues do I have to watch? What about learning about the story? Those are the areas where things could always and should be improved.

Hence 'innovation' in quotes. I value interface improvements over 'innovative' flavor of the month fratboy favourite shiny new weapons any day. Especially if they don't fit well with canon, or style.

And return the scanning from the Halo Anniversary, map it to a button instead of derpy Kinect, and fill the game full of optional extra information. Like gravity fuel.

« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2013, 10:08:00 AM »

craZboy557

• Rookie
  • Being invisible, failing at sniping.
What's gravity fuel reffering to? I've seen it a few times but I'm unsure of its origin.
Unbelievably bitchin' Lego dropships don't just build themselves.

« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2013, 10:49:26 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site

Hence 'innovation' in quotes. I value interface improvements over 'innovative' flavor of the month fratboy favourite shiny new weapons any day. Especially if they don't fit well with canon, or style.

And return the scanning from the Halo Anniversary, map it to a button instead of derpy Kinect, and fill the game full of optional extra information. Like gravity fuel.

Now that you mention it, I wonder if The Library could be a useful feature for new players. Scan stuff in the game to get more backstory--so you don't have to leave the actual game for some of the info that otherwise would require you to have read X number of books. Obviously good storytelling is key regardless, but it would be a nice addition for the newbies.

On the necessity of Kinect, however, we're running dangerously close to having no buttons to map it to. Assume there's no night vision or flashlight, that basically leaves one direction on the D-Pad for any new command or option.

Also, Capac has gravity fuel on the brain. Don't question it.

« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2013, 12:03:30 AM »

craZboy557

• Rookie
  • Being invisible, failing at sniping.
Yeah, I hate to say it, but we're getting to the point where the best course of action might be having some of the stuff that doesn't need split second timing map to Kinect instead of cramming an impractical number of buttons onto a controller. I could see ordinance drops and maybe a new ability to place waypoints being mapped to voice commands, if they could get the voice recognition working smoothly. Hmm, and maybe you could say a weapons name to swap for it if you're close enough... some peole might be able to switch faster that way maybe, and it'd make for a much easier way to sift through piles of weapons.
Unbelievably bitchin' Lego dropships don't just build themselves.

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2013, 02:44:47 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
Also, how about that tapping into the covenant battle net that cortana mentioned in halo 1?