Author Topic: Halo: Xbox one. first details  (Read 22437 times)

Re: Halo: Xbox one. first details
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2013, 03:40:47 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
Also, how about that tapping into the covenant battle net that cortana mentioned in halo 1?

How do you see that working/what form would that take in gameplay?

« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2013, 09:08:16 AM »

craZboy557

• Rookie
  • Being invisible, failing at sniping.
Oooh, that'd definitely be interesying, but I think that'd work better with a touch screeHALO 5 FOR WiiU CONFIRMED
Unbelievably bitchin' Lego dropships don't just build themselves.

« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2013, 01:40:30 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
Lol, touch screen isn't that far away of an option; smart glass is still a thing.

Honestly, the only problem I had with the scan feature in Anniversery being mapped to kinect was that you were stripping a feature away from the players; but with Xbone, kinect is required anyways, so its fine.

I would Lurv for them to bring back scanning. I remember playing Metroid prime corruption on the game cube (which wound up not being that great of a game IMO) but they had a similar thing where you could scan everything from bad guys, to plants, to peaces of alien technology and it would give you a little bit of backstory on it, And that wound up being the sole thing that kept me interested in playing the game; to find new stuff to scan.

But thats still not "innovation" even if they did bring it back.
Signature.

« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2013, 03:19:05 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Lol, touch screen isn't that far away of an option; smart glass is still a thing.

Honestly, the only problem I had with the scan feature in Anniversery being mapped to kinect was that you were stripping a feature away from the players; but with Xbone, kinect is required anyways, so its fine.

I would Lurv for them to bring back scanning. I remember playing Metroid prime corruption on the game cube (which wound up not being that great of a game IMO) but they had a similar thing where you could scan everything from bad guys, to plants, to peaces of alien technology and it would give you a little bit of backstory on it, And that wound up being the sole thing that kept me interested in playing the game; to find new stuff to scan.

But thats still not "innovation" even if they did bring it back.

Smartglass would be a good use of scanning--rather than digging through menus to find what you just scanned it could pop up on your second screen for those who had one.

When it comes out I'm definitely going to be interested in seeing how the Smartglass integration for Fable Anniversary works--because I think they nailed that strategy guides of the future should be an iPad/tablet application that updates based on your progress in the game. I'm surprised I haven't seen or heard more of them. (And you'd think that whoever does the official Halo 5 guide would want to do something like that.)

« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2013, 01:27:41 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
The new Steam controller does away with the 'looking down at the screen on the controller' problem by superimposing the touchscreen display on the main screen.

Imagine using the touchscreen to 'call up' scan mode just by touching it, and manipulating data with the touch interface. I can't think of anything other than Oculus Rift that would make it feel more like you were actually in the helmet.

« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2013, 03:31:32 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
The new Steam controller does away with the 'looking down at the screen on the controller' problem by superimposing the touchscreen display on the main screen.

Imagine using the touchscreen to 'call up' scan mode just by touching it, and manipulating data with the touch interface. I can't think of anything other than Oculus Rift that would make it feel more like you were actually in the helmet.

Well, I'm hopeful 343 can find some cool features to use with the Kinect. It's a fantastic piece of hardware, especially on this go-around, now they just really need to make it shine in a cool application.

« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2013, 09:07:08 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero

Well, in this scenario, you would have to stop gameplay to enter into this scan mode... So you might as well just have it on the tablet...

As for the new steam controller, I havent heard too much about the touchpad, but from what I have heard; I dont know how great it will work out in the end since the touch pad is so much smaller than the tv screen. And from my experience with using tablets for drawing (and then using them to navigate my computer); you really want something that is comparable in size to the screen, or else it will end up being awkward.

*btw, this should also not be in the fiction discussion section... Just sayin...
Signature.

« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2013, 09:12:11 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
  • This is the way the world ends
All of your prayers have been answered: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwx3R1-58ps

Skip to about nine minutes in to hear the voice of god address your desires. The whole interview is pretty good.

I never know Mr. Steitzer was to be the original voice of Master Chief. It would have been interesting to see how that played out. Too bad he never recorded anything so we might have been able to see.

Was he an interviewee for Halo: Community Evolved? (Dave, is the book done yet? :P)

Edit: Wow, they were really considering re-casting the entire set of voice actors. Could you imagine?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 09:18:24 PM by Sixftunder »
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2013, 09:40:23 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
DANG IT! I'm trying to write a paper about Frankenstein here, and I keep getting all this cool stuff to listen to!

So I cant listen to the whole thing right now; but I listened to the bit about making it more interactive.
That sounds really exciting actually, I wonder if by "a great deal more interactive" what exactly they are referring to? It seems like the obvious answer would be some kind of Library/Scanning feature.
But do you think that that "interactivity" will extend to other things in the game?

*He brings it up again at 21 minutes too, and uses the same exact phrase "the new game will be considerably more interactive than the last couple of games, and will require me to record a great deal more stuff" -- the fact that he uses the same phrase twice makes it seem even more credible.

***As to the book, shouldn't we also be getting an update real soon? Like today or tomorrow?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 09:58:15 PM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2013, 10:57:55 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
The one thing that worries me is that he says he never interacts with the other voice actors when recording, so when he makes that statement, it makes me think: Are they trying to make multiplayer more interactive? Unless he voices a new character in the story, then he has to be referring to multiplayer, right? Though I suppose if they are doing this in one mode they would probably be doing it another.

As far as Kinect commands go, if they do plan to return them, I hope they add more than the generic commands like reloading and switch weapons (though I do hope lighting bolt! returns). For instance, asking Cortana or your companion AI to detail troop movements, direct friendly forces to certain areas (especially in hold-the-fort type gameplay), etc.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 11:01:07 PM by Sixftunder »
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2013, 11:03:48 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
"Cortana, re-route all power from the shields into my my right glove. Initiate Spartan Lightning Punch!"

« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2013, 03:34:51 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
"Cortana, re-route all power from the shields into my my right glove. Initiate Spartan Lightning Punch!"

I really like it when Cortana uses the Chief as a lightning rod or whatever, because it makes me feel like I'm more than just an incredible killing machine. I can also break things!

(Also it was the one thing that I felt justified some of the Cortana TV moments during the campaign. She's explaining what she's trying to do, so throwing up a diagram would certainly help me understand her technobabble.)

As to the "interactivity" stuff... I dunno how much the voice talent actually knows about a game, especially this early in its development. I'm always reminded of Duke Nukem's Jon St. Jon and his comments about the game.

(And in the process of figuring out if my recollection of his name was right, this popped up. Thanks Wikipedia.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jon_St._John_of_Duke_Nukem_licks_a_fan.jpg
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 03:36:31 AM by DangerousDave »

« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2013, 07:02:11 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
Quote from: Six
The one thing that worries me is that he says he never interacts with the other voice actors when recording, so when he makes that statement, it makes me think: Are they trying to make multiplayer more interactive? Unless he voices a new character in the story, then he has to be referring to multiplayer, right? Though I suppose if they are doing this in one mode they would probably be doing it another.
Lol, I'd just assumed that to mean "the library/scan feature will have recordings of the text and he would voice it" *now that I say that out loud, I realize that that is a big assumption based on little to no evidence:P

And to be fair, he did say that they were recording some of his voice to "test some features" -- So I doubt that he will just voice a character, since they wouldn't need to test that.
Also, since this is just a test; we dont know the extent of what he will be voicing until he is brought in for the final recordings

As to the "interactivity" stuff... I dunno how much the voice talent actually knows about a game, especially this early in its development. I'm always reminded of Duke Nukem's Jon St. Jon and his comments about the game.
Yeah, you're right, I doubt they know much. But at the same time; I would think that the scope of their knowledge would be about that level: "This game might be more interactive than prior games" -- since that is super vague.
Signature.

« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2013, 09:27:38 PM »

craZboy557

• Rookie
  • Being invisible, failing at sniping.
I hope they add more than the generic commands like reloading and switch weapons (though I do hope lighting bolt! returns).
Hang on, back up a second. What?
Unbelievably bitchin' Lego dropships don't just build themselves.

« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2013, 09:49:24 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
I hope they add more than the generic commands like reloading and switch weapons (though I do hope lighting bolt! returns).
Hang on, back up a second. What?
If you have a Kinect and Halo CEA try it out :D
Praise Bird Jesus!