Author Topic: Escalation  (Read 8572 times)

Re: Escalation
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2013, 01:55:15 PM »

Wazooty

• Rookie
  • Dudebro
Palmer being willing to lie to Osmans face to protect Lasky makes me like her a little more.  It's as if she's not being a hard ass purely because she wants to, but she's trying to stay safe among wolves.  I could forsee a rift forming between ONI and the well intentioned people of the UNSC, and palmer being on the "good" side.

Anyways, since I have to find a way to work them into everything:  I predict the reinforcements that will save them in issue 3 or 4 or whatever is blue team.  Who else would they call to save hood, the arbiter, lasky, etc.  Only the best.  Naturally, I am aware that this absolutely will not happen.

Also lets chief say hi to Arbytur
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 01:58:45 PM by Wazooty »

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 05:59:09 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
Palmer being willing to lie to Osmans face to protect Lasky makes me like her a little more.  It's as if she's not being a hard ass purely because she wants to, but she's trying to stay safe among wolves.  I could forsee a rift forming between ONI and the well intentioned people of the UNSC, and palmer being on the "good" side.
I'm hopefully that's the end game as well since they've built it up so much. I'm not entirely certain what Palmer's motives are. She might ultimately just be more loyal to her commander rather than who is her superior according to the hierarchy. Spartan ops had her pretty gung-Ho to kill Halsey so it's not exactly personal scruples holding her back.
Anyways, since I have to find a way to work them into everything:  I predict the reinforcements that will save them in issue 3 or 4 or whatever is blue team.  Who else would they call to save hood, the arbiter, lasky, etc.  Only the best.  Naturally, I am aware that this absolutely will not happen.

Blue Team would be cool but don't hold your breath :)

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 01:40:45 AM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
  • This is the way the world ends

It's adorable that Waz still holds out hope that Blue Team will ever be mentioned again. He's like a child that waits for Santa every Christmas when he already saw his parents put the presents under the tree years before.   ;D

Join the Dark (and only) side of FUD: pessimism. You're never be let down and sometimes, just sometimes, you're actually surprised.

Anyway, I get the impression that the narrative of this comic is actually pretty involved and ties into the overarching plot of the Forerunner trilogy saga. Is there any truth to that? I've never picked up a Halo comic (or any comic for that matter) but I'm wondering if this one would be worth it for that reason, especially if it has some connection to future games or lore. I want to make sure that I know the explanation for the things that Halo 5 will inevitably hand-wave.  :P

I was under the impression that the previous comics were side stories with the exception of the one that bridges Halo 2 and 3, which I have been meaning to look into because from what I hear it still doesn't make sense.
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2013, 07:46:18 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site

It's adorable that Waz still holds out hope that Blue Team will ever be mentioned again. He's like a child that waits for Santa every Christmas when he already saw his parents put the presents under the tree years before.   ;D

Join the Dark (and only) side of FUD: pessimism. You're never be let down and sometimes, just sometimes, you're actually surprised.

Anyway, I get the impression that the narrative of this comic is actually pretty involved and ties into the overarching plot of the Forerunner trilogy saga. Is there any truth to that? I've never picked up a Halo comic (or any comic for that matter) but I'm wondering if this one would be worth it for that reason, especially if it has some connection to future games or lore. I want to make sure that I know the explanation for the things that Halo 5 will inevitably hand-wave.  :P

I was under the impression that the previous comics were side stories with the exception of the one that bridges Halo 2 and 3, which I have been meaning to look into because from what I hear it still doesn't make sense.

The narrative  doesn't necessarily tie into anything in particular thus far; seems more like it's keeping us informed on what's going down after SpOps as well as catching us up on what the non-Storm client races are up to.* Whether or not anything at the end of this will tie more directly into Halo 5 is a question I don't think we can answer until we see stuff for Halo 5.

The comic bridging Halo 2 and Halo 3 you're referring to is Uprising. It's not really worth reading, IMO; there's an interesting bit with Ackerson leading the Covenant into a trap but Chief's story aboard the Dreadnought is so paint-by-numbers it was better if you just assumed he kicked open a door and surfed off right after Halo 2's cutscene.

*In that respect, the comic raises some questions I'm not sure we're going to get answers to, given that the final K5 book seems to be focusing more on the Insurrectionists. Hood's backfilling dialogue in the comic basically says that the Arbiter "won", and that the Brutes have mostly survived by taking what they need from others (there's also great little line about how the Brutes were intentionally dropped on resource-rich worlds by the Prophets.)

But last we saw Arby he was facing some serious heat and needed Infinity to save his bacon. I wasn't under the impression Infinity did that much damage to turn the tide in that one battle... I wonder what happens to Telcam? (Hood does sort of obliquely reference them doing shit to the Arbiter so maybe by this point Hood knows what ONI tried to do playing both sides?)

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2013, 12:32:24 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
Ma thoughts:

EVERYONE LOOKS UGLY. Seriously, did anyone even look at the characters from the game before drawing these?
Especially Hood. He looks nothing like his actual self.

Also, why is Osman trying to "paint a target" on lasky's back, wasn't his appointment what she wanted? Cause she hated del rio and knew that Lasky would be better suited for the job?

Also, I caught the reference. But Vociferous really sounds more like a covenent ship than a UNSC one

All in all, I agree with Dave, it had a pretty decent set up; I like the fact that the Elites actually have Halo 3 armor.

Also, haven't they make a Big deal like 2 or 3 times about how the Spartans were their own branch of the military now; wtf? Why did they have a big tribunal without representation from the Spartans? Where was Musa-096 or whatever?

Also; where is Half-Jaw during all of this? He was on sanghelios last we saw him; but we haven't heard anything from him since... Which is weird, cause he was like; in charge of the new covenent fleet for a bit there. And like, he would be a prime "2nd in command" to the arbiter; why do we never see him in anything?

On the topic of arbiter's new groove:
Big fan of the cape.
But I dreally on't like the armor re-design... Its just so counter-arby. Like, he doesn't seem like the kinda guy to have knew armor commissioned for him for know reason. Especially given the fact that the Arbiter's original armor actually means something;
I mean, the whole thing that The arbiter is trying to instill in the new covenenent is to chill out and not be all proud and warriorlike all the time; why would he redesign his armor to make it all proud and warriorlike?

It was an armor that had history (even if it wasn't the same exact suit worn by other arbiters) It was still a garb that had been passed down from great warrior to great warrior over thousands of generations, but still it was not a flamboyant and colorful shining display; rather, it was dark, low key, and subtle.

Even before the old covenent it had been worn by a great warrior, a warrior who strove to defy the covenent and let the elite's be their own masters. The fact that the armor had been passed down through time and was now being worn by Thel Vadam who strove to accomplish those same goals and did accomplish them. brings a sense of completion and fufillment to this truth.
Under the old covenent it had been a symbol of shame and dishoner, with a subtle subtext of the quest for redemption.

And then after rebeling against the covenent and leading his people out of enslavement, the armor became a symbol; a symbol that the most shameful soldier in the old covenent was able to overthrough it and set up a new and better order, an insult and taunt to any who still clung to the old ways.

The armor served as a reminder of where the elites had come from, and a warning against making the same mistakes again, and a check to humble themselves that they might not travel down the same path of overzealotry, tyrrany and greed that the prophets had.

The actual Arbiter armor that Vadam used to wear spoke volumes about his character and added depth to his story; this new armor is pointless and reduces him down to an empty, one dimensional "leader of the elites" character.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 12:33:46 AM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2013, 12:35:55 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Ma thoughts:

EVERYONE LOOKS UGLY. Seriously, did anyone even look at the characters from the game before drawing these?
Especially Hood. He looks nothing like his actual self.

Also, why is Osman trying to "paint a target" on lasky's back, wasn't his appointment what she wanted? Cause she hated del rio and knew that Lasky would be better suited for the job?

Also, I caught the reference. But Vociferous really sounds more like a covenent ship than a UNSC one

All in all, I agree with Dave, it had a pretty decent set up; I like the fact that the Elites actually have Halo 3 armor.

Also, haven't they make a Big deal like 2 or 3 times about how the Spartans were their own branch of the military now; wtf? Why did they have a big tribunal without representation from the Spartans? Where was Musa-096 or whatever?

Also; where is Half-Jaw during all of this? He was on sanghelios last we saw him; but we haven't heard anything from him since... Which is weird, cause he was like; in charge of the new covenent fleet for a bit there. And like, he would be a prime "2nd in command" to the arbiter; why do we never see him in anything?

Even if the Spartans are their own branch, politically I don't think they have a lot of clout; they were an ONI project and a Navy project, and no Spartan is actually a high-ranking line officer.

And Osman didn't want Lasky, Parangosky did. The little we saw of her in Spartan Ops I don't think she particularly had any good feelings about Lasky, but disobeying a direct order has a tendency to sour any impression :)

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2013, 01:16:27 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
But last we saw Arby he was facing some serious heat and needed Infinity to save his bacon. I wasn't under the impression Infinity did that much damage to turn the tide in that one battle... I wonder what happens to Telcam? (Hood does sort of obliquely reference them doing shit to the Arbiter so maybe by this point Hood knows what ONI tried to do playing both sides?)

I think Hood kinda knew what was happening the whole time, there was just very little he could do to stop anything from happening.

The battle on sanghelioes ended after the infinity got involved man. Telcam's cruisers tried to run away and one got shot down. I imagine that the Arbiter has a bunch of ships and friends and people on the many other planets ruled by the new covenant that could help to turn the tide politically and counter any future attacks.

Actually, from the comments made by the assaulting elites, these might Telcam's forces in action right now; "guardians of the righteous; silence the blasphemers now" sounds a whole lot like something "The Servents of the Abiding Truth" Would say, and a lot less like something that would be said by elites who aren't super religious like the Storm.

Even if the Spartans are their own branch, politically I don't think they have a lot of clout; they were an ONI project and a Navy project, and no Spartan is actually a high-ranking line officer.
WERE an ONI/Navy project. Now they operate independently of those two branches and are their own branch, as we learned from Initiation. Where Musa has enough position and clout to chastise the members of Highcom.
Which, by the way, was like, at Least 5 years before the events of Escalation. 5 years to grow and expand and earn clout politically.

Well, for not having "high ranking" officer, I don't think that it matters, since they are a different branch of the military and they don't have the same ranks as other branches. (at least, according to initiation.) So, most likely, there is someone like Musa who is running the Spartans, who's rank would be equal with all the other head's of the branches.

I'm genuinely curious to know if they just forgot about that fact, or if they are just glossing over it for the story. Or if they are just sending mixed signals. Unless its just the Spartan Project that operates independently, meaning just the creation and training of the spartans.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 01:19:40 AM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2013, 02:36:40 AM »

Wazooty

• Rookie
  • Dudebro
They are obviously being led by blue team, whom Osman trusts.

Huehuehuehuehiehue I'm funny.

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2014, 04:03:26 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
So... why is everyone scared of the Brutes? Everyone talks about what badasses they are in the comic, but all we see them do is run and hide. Also there are like thousands of soldiers outside, and only about ten guys from the conference, and they just... walk through? Did the whole army get wiped out in the shuttle explosion? How are they not immediately vaporised by plasma weapons? They have no cover...

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2014, 12:05:45 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Well if the entourage gets killed it will pretty much be the end of negotiations--hence why the Spartans are saying to stay back. Obviously that didn't work out too well for Jacknife...

I think this issue was a good step up artwise, and was certainly action-packed, though I think they might be juggling too many balls--they've got the two new Spartans playing significant roles but we don't spend enough time with one of them for his actions to make much sense as of yet or give any idea of his character.

Definitely interested in seeing where this ends up.

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2014, 03:03:14 AM »

Wazooty

• Rookie
  • Dudebro
Not a big fan of the IVs having wacky multicolored armor outside of war games.  Wasn't even a fan of majestic having blue armor.  Naturally, did not like half of noble teams armor either.

I'd prefer if they keep the grey base and then used different armor sets and highlights to signify different people.  Like red team in Halo wars.  They had the base olive spartan coloring, but the leader had red highlights on the helmet, etc.

I know it's used mainly to differentiate characters...but does it need to be done in such a non militaristic way?

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2014, 03:33:05 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Not a big fan of the IVs having wacky multicolored armor outside of war games.  Wasn't even a fan of majestic having blue armor.  Naturally, did not like half of noble teams armor either.

I'd prefer if they keep the grey base and then used different armor sets and highlights to signify different people.  Like red team in Halo wars.  They had the base olive spartan coloring, but the leader had red highlights on the helmet, etc.

I know it's used mainly to differentiate characters...but does it need to be done in such a non militaristic way?

I'm in full agreement, personally. I give it more of a pass in the comics though just because you have so much more work to do making people recognizable.

What was odd is they gave the same Soldier armor to two different characters they featured heavily.

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2014, 04:47:03 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
Halo 5: Taste the Rainbow

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2014, 04:58:03 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Halo 5: Taste the Rainbow

The storytelling would have to get a whole lot weirder to meet Skittles standards :P

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2014, 06:04:19 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
It wasn't horrible. The only thing that bugged me was that the elite that they pulled the datapad off of was a minor; they wouldn't give that information out to such a low rank as that; heck, I doubt a normal elite like that could even read english.
Signature.