Author Topic: Escalation  (Read 8941 times)

Re: Escalation
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2014, 03:44:47 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
It wasn't horrible. The only thing that bugged me was that the elite that they pulled the datapad off of was a minor; they wouldn't give that information out to such a low rank as that; heck, I doubt a normal elite like that could even read english.

That's partially why I think that they should have streamlined the story--that and the "five minutes later" cut to the Spartan Ray takedown. I think they just stuck it on the Elite out of convenience (which does make it feel a little too convenient for the characters to find.) I'm wondering why it was even necessary to have the pad--as they pointed out it seemed unlikely the Covenant found them so quickly without help.

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2014, 02:08:57 AM »

Wazooty

• Rookie
  • Dudebro
Maybe I'm late to the party but...escalation #5:

Missing for thirty years, a legendary UNSC warship is discovered deep behind enemy lines. As Infinity plans a rescue mission, however, Admiral Hood’s past with the ship’s captain threatens to jeopardize the mission. The investigation into the UNSC saboteur continues as the journalist infiltrates an Elite holy land in search of answers.

Spirit of Fire confirmed?

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2014, 02:13:51 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Maybe I'm late to the party but...escalation #5:

Missing for thirty years, a legendary UNSC warship is discovered deep behind enemy lines. As Infinity plans a rescue mission, however, Admiral Hood’s past with the ship’s captain threatens to jeopardize the mission. The investigation into the UNSC saboteur continues as the journalist infiltrates an Elite holy land in search of answers.

Spirit of Fire confirmed?

Confirmed? No.

That the Spirit of Fire seems to be the only legendary ship that fits that description from what we know of the canon? I'd say so. Only other person I could think that'd be close is Cole, and he hasn't been missing for nearly that long.

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2014, 02:41:43 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
Well I'll be darned, looks like its the spirit of fire, Nice catch waz.

But, idk, its a nice story thing to bring back and tie up but it doesn't actually have any effect on the narrative.
If only the return of the spirit of fire actually meant something... Like they had some super crazy relic on board or something...
Signature.

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2014, 04:39:22 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
So finished up issue three. The art continues to be the sticking point of this series, but it's markedly better in some respects. Some miscellaneous observations and plot points:

*Jul's still creeping around the galaxy, although apparently some of his followers aren't the zealot types and are moonlighting (for whom is still not clear.)

*Master Chief might already be AWOL by this point, or at the very least he's disappeared from the rank and file.

*New Phoenix has been covered up as a Covenant Separatist attack. Scruggs implies shenanigans beyond the usual UNSC kind. Not sure where that thread is going--Palmer most likely knows the truth about the attack (even if the Spartans were informed, being on Requiem she could put two and two together), so it's unclear what could be the greater reasoning besides the obvious fact the UNSC doesn't want to let everyone know there's another alien faction that hates our guts out there.

*Demarco goes out like a Spartan. The comic at least gives him a bit more shading before he goes too, so that's nice.

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2014, 05:56:35 PM »

Postmortem

• Forward Unto Dawn Writer
  • Veteran
  • No. There is more. But you are not worthy. Not yet
Escalation #4: cleaner art style, but now the Infinity flies backwards...

And uh... Yeah, definitely interested for the next issue with that ending.

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2014, 03:45:01 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Escalation #4: cleaner art style, but now the Infinity flies backwards...

And uh... Yeah, definitely interested for the next issue with that ending.

I was a bit disappointed that we didn't get to the SoF this ish, but that's to be expected, I guess. I'm a bit more confused about the implications of the fight they had. Separatists had access to SoF kit? If they found that stuff, why wouldn't they have taken the entire ship (or have they?)

I do like reusing Petra, although I'm a bit amazed that we're learning about all these outer colonies that seem pretty intact...

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2014, 05:43:08 PM »

Wazooty

• Rookie
  • Dudebro
Halo escalation #10 cover

holy sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit guys.  It's happening.  It's really happening.

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2014, 09:48:28 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
So just got all the way caught up through issue 6.

I like that they revisited those booster frames from legends as something that actually has a purpose.

Also;
DA FLOOD IS GONNA BE BACK SOON BABY!!!! RIP in peace spirit of fire crew; hopefully we will get a gravemind out of you.

So it seems that the separatists using mock-spirit of fire assets was just a... redirection? I guess? Or was it Cutter's kid's way of getting a subtle revenge or somethign?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 09:51:52 PM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2014, 10:45:47 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
So just got all the way caught up through issue 6.

I like that they revisited those booster frames from legends as something that actually has a purpose.

Also;
DA FLOOD IS GONNA BE BACK SOON BABY!!!! RIP in peace spirit of fire crew; hopefully we will get a gravemind out of you.

So it seems that the separatists using mock-spirit of fire assets was just a... redirection? I guess? Or was it Cutter's kid's way of getting a subtle revenge or somethign?

I honestly don't know. (I need to reread the issues again.) The whole SoF thing was a pretty massive redirect.

Which makes me think that we should be very very cautious about Blue Team actually returning :P

Interior mediocre comic art aside, the covers for these books have been pretty fantastic.

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2014, 01:54:01 AM »

Wazooty

• Rookie
  • Dudebro

Which makes me think that we should be very very cautious about Blue Team actually returning :P

Shhhhhhhh

Of course, all of them except for chief are going to die in a single issue so 343 never has to actually deal with them.

Goddamn I would renounce 343 forever.

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2014, 08:49:34 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
Also; idk if anyone noticed, but escalation #9:

Also; some dude on youtube (who's vids are actually pretty good, I'll post them sometime soon) pointed out that MC is getting punched in the right side of his face; which is where his visor is cracked in the halo XBone trailer we got last year.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 08:53:43 PM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2014, 12:27:39 AM »

Wazooty

• Rookie
  • Dudebro
Possibly, but then in #10 it looks uncracked.

I wouldn't be surprised if #9s cover is just a artistic rendition of the end of Halo 4 but...dunno.

« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2014, 07:05:54 PM »

Wazooty

• Rookie
  • Dudebro
Welp, no 8 is out.

Spoilers ahead.

I guess all the worrying about "rogue chief", "chief is cast out", "chief has gone crazy and is discharged" can be put to rest.  He comes home, the admiralty is fully happy to hear his story, review the tapes and believe him completely, then he's offered to become an admiral.  Nothing negative about any of that.

Blue team reunion.  I suppose it being regulated to a comic kinda diminished my hopes for it.  Especially when the artist is so atrocious at drawing human faces.  Everyone looks identical with a slightly different haircut. 

I'm guessing blue teams armor colors are just to make them easier to identify. 

Black team being killed off screen is terribly lame.

Didact is alive and chilling in an abandoned city.  Some structures look forerunner, but some look human. Doubt a human city would have a throne covered in blue forerunner lights though.

If blue team dies in this comics terrible drawings, I'm done with this halo bs.

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2014, 07:48:05 PM »

craZboy557

• Rookie
  • Being invisible, failing at sniping.
Also they somehow got Kelly and Linda's roles mixed up.
Unbelievably bitchin' Lego dropships don't just build themselves.