Author Topic: New Terminator film.  (Read 1750 times)

New Terminator film.
« on: March 09, 2014, 01:28:50 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
Here's some nonsense about Terminator time travel I posted @ tor.com

Presumably at some point there was an original timeline, where the Neural Net Processor and SkyNet were created via original research (likely a lot later than depicted in T2).

For the sake of simplicity, lets assume that SkyNet becoming self-aware inevitably leads to time travel (i.e. time travel is not only possible, but within easy grasp of an awakened AI).

So lets say in the original timeline SkyNet becomes aware in the 2050s. For whatever reason SkyNet goes rogue, bombs fly, men fight robots. SkyNet is eventually defeated thanks to John Connor, a brilliant strategist in his late 50s, whose planning ran rings around the machines.

But John Connor was born in '85 you say? In the original timeline, John had a different father, someone Sarah had a child with sometime in the nineties, probably in a more normal family setting than those shown in the films.

SkyNet sends a Terminator back to the '90s to prevent John's conception, a last ditch effort at self preservation with the least calculated probability of altering SkyNet's awakening adversely. Future John learns of the plan and sends a trusted and experienced agent (Kyle Reese in his grizzled mid-forties).

The Terminator kills the original John's father. Sarah and Kyle are on the run, one thing leads to another, baby and dead Terminator. Kyle survives, but Sarah dies in childbirth on the run. The Terminator's remains are recovered and studied by Cyberdyne. Kyle trains John to survive, always keeping a picture of Sarah with him.

SkyNet's awakening occurs sooner thanks to the recovered Terminator. With the technological jump start, it develops more advanced models sooner, and sends one back to eliminate John, whose survival training and military experience have pushed SkyNet almost to defeat despite its massive technological advantage.

John and Kyle destroy the Terminator, and Cyberdyne's research, pushing back judgement day, Kyle sacrificing his life for John.

Then the cycle starts again. Each cycle has SkyNet awakening a little earlier, and the Terminators being sent earlier to take out Sarah. SkyNet recovers scraps of data from the first Terminator's remains with each loop. Kyle Reese carries information back with him in each loop.

Each cycle has its differences, Kyle or Sarah survive, or neither. Different models of Terminator, different remains recovered by Cyberdyne, etc etc, but John always survives and beats back the machines.

So, you have 'Terminator: Origins (lol)", followed by T1a, T2a, T1b, T2b, T1c, T2c... T1n, T2n... until you get to 'our' T1 and T2 (with assorted interstitials like T3 and Salvation).

So you have a classic 'cycle of violence' with each side gearing up for war, when the only real solution is to find a way for both sides to peacefully co-exist.

Eventually we get a John Connor whose love for his surrogate father Terminator in T2 carries over to trying to find a way to make peace with the machines. Like T2 implied in the first place...

Re: New Terminator film.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 02:01:13 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
Nonsense indeed :P

I think the situation you pose is the natural consequence of Terminator's "good" central conceit gone wrong--SkyNet does the absolute right thing--try and kill off its enemy when it can't defend itself, or even before that point (T1). After that, though, things fall apart. At least Skynet acknowledges the Borg problem from First Contact, in that if the Borg have time travel then they should absolutely be sending fleets back in time to assimilate people before they pose a threat. Skynet *is* doing that... but at some point wouldn't it make more sense to send back a Terminator to, I dunno, the mid-20th century and killing off Sarah Connor's parents or something? As far as I know in the films we don't see any real relationship between the Connors and Skynet so the AI can safely erase them from existence whenever he wants without harming his chances of being created.

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 02:29:56 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
Nonsense indeed :P

I think the situation you pose is the natural consequence of Terminator's "good" central conceit gone wrong--SkyNet does the absolute right thing--try and kill off its enemy when it can't defend itself, or even before that point (T1). After that, though, things fall apart. At least Skynet acknowledges the Borg problem from First Contact, in that if the Borg have time travel then they should absolutely be sending fleets back in time to assimilate people before they pose a threat. Skynet *is* doing that... but at some point wouldn't it make more sense to send back a Terminator to, I dunno, the mid-20th century and killing off Sarah Connor's parents or something? As far as I know in the films we don't see any real relationship between the Connors and Skynet so the AI can safely erase them from existence whenever he wants without harming his chances of being created.

That's why I threw in the line about calculating the least impact. I can imagine a Terminator showing up at the wrong time heating up the cold war, or causing massive conspiracy panic crazies like Roswell, etc etc, harming SkyNet's chances of awakening.

Of course the whole thing hinges on the whole John Connor pre-destination thingy.

I kind of like the idea that each cycle is earlier and earlier, but also more and more risky for SkyNet. The earlier they go, the more likely the Terminator's remains will be lost or misunderstood.

I'd like to see the next loop. T2 where the Terminator sacrifices itself for John... but fails. Its processor is recovered. SkyNet awakens... and accesses memories of a Terminator that was willing to die for John Connor.

But screw that, action movie herpaderp! bout as much chance of that happening as there is of Warner Bros greenlighting the Wachowski's next Matrix movie as a civil rights legal case film about B166ER and the rights of intelligent machines.

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 09:13:37 AM »

DavidLane

• Recruit
  • Heretic
An assembly is opened for the symbols and all titles for the field. The judgment of the field and essay writing service reviews is rushed for the fundamental paths for the field. The attestations hurried for the fundamental baths for the field and punctuation for all goals.