Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 895 times)

Dark Souls
« on: April 03, 2014, 12:07:26 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
So I just finished the first game. Probably one of the most amazing experiences I've had in a video game in a long time; instantly made a spot in my top 4 (which, incidentally, is Dark Souls, Halo, Majora's Mask, and Minecraft. In no particular order)

Combat was fun and dynamic all the way through; didn't really feel repetitive, even after 60+hours. Brilliant level and encounter design almost all the way through (except for two bosses near the end of the game which were just bad... But its forgivable, since they weren't really that hard)
Also it had some of the coolest and most fluid integration of multiplayer in with a singleplayer game that I've ever seen.

More importantly though, the story; On the surface Dark Souls 1 had basically no story. But that's not really the case, playing through the game you'll realize that it actually has a Super deep and interesting lore and story, they just don't shove it down your throats during cutscenes or extensive dialogues, or someone shouting in your ear constantly. The story is told through subtleties; through every piece of side dialogue with npc's; through the placement of enemies and items, through the locations and states of the environment art, etc.
 Basically everything that we do with halo... Only this game is 100% about that method of storytelling, and it does it amazingly well!

Has anyone else played it? What did you think?

If you haven't, (or also if you have) Dark Souls 2 comes out for the PC at the end of this month (its already out on the consoles) but that's when I'm gonna get it.
We should all get it then and play it together, so we can talk about stuff and theorize and discuss everything! YEAH!

PS: if this happens, then six would totally have to stop moning about how nobody is on or whatever he moans about constantly!

PPS: I could talk about this game for like 7 threads, so I decided to keep it short for this one
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 12:16:02 AM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 12:13:23 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
Well, your description definitely is the first time someone's made me interested in playing the Dark Souls games :)

Is there some sort of easy mode? Because the punishing aspect (or whatever the arguable distinction is between punishing, unfair, and difficulty/challenge in games) really puts me off of a lot of games now. Just not my nature.

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 12:40:10 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
(DS II has some form of difficulty moderation built into the mechanics where you can burn something at a bonfire to make the game harder or easier I believe)

As for Dark Souls I; Not really, but the game really does a fantastic job of teaching you how to play it. But tbh, its not really that punishing when you die (in dark souls I at least--DS II sounds like its a bit more punishing to offset the difficulty modulation) but when you die; all that happens is you drop just your money (keep all your items and stuff) at wherever you were like 30 seconds before you die (usually before you fight whatever the thing that killed you was) and that remains there until you pick it up or until you die again without picking it up (at which point it despawns).

It wasn't really my nature either until I played it, They designed a few of the key mechanics really well to make you want to keep playing even when you die a bunch.

And there are ways to significantly reduce the difficulty in both games, like summoning a phantom; in front of every boss, there are usually one or two npc's (and like 1 or 2 player characters) that you can summon to reduce the help you with the fight (usually makes the boss like 10x easier)
and if you are really cowardly, you can summon a player to help you go through the whole level... At the cost of your dignity as a human being and gamer.

Also, you can go and get buffs, upgrade your pyromancy, upgrade your weapons, etc.  and then come back and just rape everything.
Signature.

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 07:09:33 PM »

craZboy557

• Rookie
  • Being invisible, failing at sniping.
I have it, but I haven't gotten to the point where it starts getting fun yet.
Unbelievably bitchin' Lego dropships don't just build themselves.

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 02:03:00 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
How far are you?

I didn't real get into the groove until I beat the Tauros Demon, after that; when you first meet the hellkite drake is when I fell in love. Dragons are awesome.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 08:47:02 PM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.