Author Topic: Halo: Nightfall  (Read 5665 times)

Re: Halo by Ridley Scott
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 12:10:24 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
Wasn't there a MP map of a terrestrial planet with Halo chunks on it?

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2014, 01:36:54 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
Wasn't there a MP map of a terrestrial planet with Halo chunks on it?
Quote from: Me
Also; its probably set on Basis unless they just completely make up a new planet in the system.
^thats the world from the map from Halo 2

In light of frankies quote its prolly not set on Basis, since Basis was a moon of Threshold
Signature.

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2014, 04:28:36 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
http://www.halopedia.org/Wolf-faced_planet

It could be this planet? Maybe... it all seems like a bit of a stretch... unless it was fragments from ...

http://www.halopedia.org/Halo_Array

"The AI attempted to seize control of the remaining Halos and fire them, but was only able to control five out of the twelve. One of those five was destroyed by the combined tidal forces of the Capital, the firepower of local Forerunner fleets, and the stress of a recent slipspace transition. The seven Halos that Mendicant Bias was unable to control were recalled to Installation 00 via slipspace jumps, yet only one escaped before the portal collapsed, with the other six breaking up in-slipspace."

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 06:21:12 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
I think the idea is that a chunk of Installation 04 was intact enough to attempt jumping after the ring suffered catastrophic damage--I'd guess it happened to be the part that actually had slipspace capabilities, since it seems odd to me that each ring section would have redundant slipspace potential.

How it manages to hit a planet and still keep that sweeping vista is more interesting to me. You'd think the structure would come crumbling under normal gravity.

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2014, 10:20:55 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
I think the idea is that a chunk of Installation 04 was intact enough to attempt jumping after the ring suffered catastrophic damage--I'd guess it happened to be the part that actually had slipspace capabilities, since it seems odd to me that each ring section would have redundant slipspace potential.

How it manages to hit a planet and still keep that sweeping vista is more interesting to me. You'd think the structure would come crumbling under normal gravity.
It holds together with the force of plot.

I would have thought that the ring would NEED more than one slipspace drive; given its awkward shape and enormous size and mass; it strikes me, that the ring would have multiple drives, placed evenly about the ring; and they would all fire up together. Otherwise, if there was only one drive; I feel like the portal created would be off-centered, you know?

I think the idea is that after the explosions, the slipspace engine malfunctioned and just jumped randomly. Perhaps it didn't even jump to that system; put rather it was passing bye and was forced out of slip-space due to the system's gravity or something:

Quote from: Frankie
Slipspace engine. Redundant and malfunctioning safety system

Signature.

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 11:18:00 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero

Quote from: Frankie
Slipspace engine. Redundant and malfunctioning safety system

Umm. So far the only time we have seen Forerunner tech 'malfunction' has been because of AI. Forerunner tech seems to a. last forever and b. have multiple redundancies and failsafes.

I don't buy that chunks of Halo would 'accidentally' slipspace jump to habitable planets.

If it isn't part of Guilty Sparks plot to find the librarian I call bullshit.

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 01:00:24 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Well to be fair all the Forerunner tech we've seen over the years have been untouched, not ripped apart. They tend to do badly in slipspace after that (hey, Ark!)

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2014, 06:11:02 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
Well to be fair all the Forerunner tech we've seen over the years have been untouched, not ripped apart. They tend to do badly in slipspace after that (hey, Ark!)

Delta Halo was doing alright despite flood infestation.

I'd buy "dumping things into slipspace" as a security/containment protocol, but then how and why do the revert to normal space?

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2014, 03:26:42 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
I don't think it's about containment. Rather it's about preservation. If it was goin to jump somewhere due to Flood it would just launch itself at Threshold.

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 01:59:50 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
I mean; we have seen forerunner tech malfunction... Like when mendicant Bias turned against the forerunner and became a bad guy, or like when we exploded a halo (a pretty serious malfunction). or like the fact that there even was a containment breach on Delta halo at all, or like the fact that there were flood on a shield world in Halo Wars. Forerunner tech is by no means infallible.

However, you do bring up a point I hadn't thought of before; perhaps it is a piece of installation 04 or even one of the petal sections from the ark that was flung through the ark portal; or perhaps it was the ark's slips-pace drive that malfunctioned and not the halos.

Given Frankie's wording, I would be remissed if the event was something purposeful and caused by 343GS; especially given the fact that shooting part of a halo onto a random colony planet seems to have very little to do with finding the librarian
Signature.

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2014, 04:37:09 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
http://youtu.be/QaZOLp6pYCE?t=6m35s

he explains the whole halo situation in more detail during the panel up there
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 04:41:11 PM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

Re: Halo: Nightfall
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2014, 01:13:27 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
So... what the hell is that person slug thing? Have the Lekgolo watched Jurassic Park and are now up to "clever girl" tricks? Is it whatever was in that vessel 343 sealed up? Is it a new Flood form? Something else?

http://youtu.be/9MR2rN198zw?list=PLn5QvCoiY3w6Jtft5dQTDRHhXnoj9vTh8

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2014, 02:45:13 AM »

Postmortem

• Forward Unto Dawn Writer
  • Veteran
  • No. There is more. But you are not worthy. Not yet
I'm going to guess something else... but something else tied to the Flood and Precursors in some way. My first thought would be Lekgolo, but they didn't have quite the same shape...

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2014, 02:44:26 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
If I had to make a wild speculative guess:

It certainly seems to have some Lekgolo influence, especially since the color seems the same. Keep in mind how much 343 has done the whole different sub-species thing with the other Covenant races.

But it begs the question; "what are the Leckgolo?" were they created by the forerunner to dispose of certain installations? Or even by the ancient humans as a weapon of war against the forerunner?
If the thing is a Lekgolo, I reckon we'll find out some answers.

At any rate, I also reckon we'll get something about this topic answered tommorrow with escallation 11:
"Spartans Ray and Thorne set out on a secret mission to uncover the origin of a monstrous new bioweapon... but is it too late to prevent total catastrophe?"   
I can't imagine that they would pull two "super dangerous bioweapon"s out of thin air back to back like this.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 03:03:15 PM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2014, 02:32:25 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
Mini combining sentinels perhaps? Merge to form Devastator!

I did speculate way-back-when that lekgolo could be a Precursor precursor to the Flood.