Author Topic: Halo: Nightfall  (Read 5664 times)

Re: Halo: Nightfall
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2014, 11:37:28 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
Element... ugh...
I only just let it by in Iron Man 2 because comics. Halo has no excuse.

« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2014, 02:29:02 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
Well, they get halfway there with the scientific explanations, but they don't follow through. The idea that it was something altered by the Halo's destruction is an interesting one. But it falls into the same whole of "what is this Forerunner metal if we basically know all the elements that are possible". Atomic number 121 is nowhere near where the island of stability for superheavy elements is, either, and even assuming it was something unstable (which doesn't work for the gathering part, but I guess makes sense with the exploding bioweapon), how would that radiation not affect other life?

Wish they'd just left it at bioweapon from exotic location. There was no way to make it sound good, so they might as well have been vague.

« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2014, 08:19:27 PM »

Postmortem

• Forward Unto Dawn Writer
  • Veteran
  • No. There is more. But you are not worthy. Not yet
At this point, I think the rubber mask alien is the weakest part of the first episode. Even the bad CG was passable enough in most places... it was its movements that needed more work, I think. But I'm already much more interested in these characters (well, definitely in Aiken) than any of the Forward Unto Dawn kids from the first episode. I'm excited to see where this goes. I think it has potential.

Of note, I also think for lighter fans of the fiction, this film (once it's together as a film) might serve as a better in-between for Halo 3 and Halo 4 than the Kilo 5 trilogy. It explains that we're supposed to be at peace but we're not, and that ONI is working to stop the Covenant in a lot of theaters. It shows the effects of people returning to normal lives after the war (even if people won't get that Aiken defected long before the war ended). I think for people who don't like reading, or don't like reading large amounts of stuff they may not like, Forward Unto Dawn and Nightfall will serve as great introductions to the important aspects of the universe if they watch them in between playing the games.

I used to introduce people to Halo with Fall of Reach, but the time it took them to read it inevitably made them disinterested by the time they got to the first game. From now on I might start with Forward Unto Dawn and go into the Bungie trilogy, followed by Nightfall and Halo 4. I dunno, we'll see how it plays out.

« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2014, 09:53:05 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
At this point, I think the rubber mask alien is the weakest part of the first episode. Even the bad CG was passable enough in most places... it was its movements that needed more work, I think. But I'm already much more interested in these characters (well, definitely in Aiken) than any of the Forward Unto Dawn kids from the first episode. I'm excited to see where this goes. I think it has potential.

Of note, I also think for lighter fans of the fiction, this film (once it's together as a film) might serve as a better in-between for Halo 3 and Halo 4 than the Kilo 5 trilogy. It explains that we're supposed to be at peace but we're not, and that ONI is working to stop the Covenant in a lot of theaters. It shows the effects of people returning to normal lives after the war (even if people won't get that Aiken defected long before the war ended). I think for people who don't like reading, or don't like reading large amounts of stuff they may not like, Forward Unto Dawn and Nightfall will serve as great introductions to the important aspects of the universe if they watch them in between playing the games.

I used to introduce people to Halo with Fall of Reach, but the time it took them to read it inevitably made them disinterested by the time they got to the first game. From now on I might start with Forward Unto Dawn and go into the Bungie trilogy, followed by Nightfall and Halo 4. I dunno, we'll see how it plays out.

The downside of Nightfall from an accessibility standpoint (and I think it'll probably be the only, or major one) is they don't explain the Halos at all. Everything else I think an intelligent viewer could pick up and go along with. But maybe that will get touched on in Ep 2.

« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2014, 02:19:54 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
So access to rings is forbidden on both sides of the treaties? Like Ivanoff? Oh look, another violation of the treaty by ONI/UNSC!

« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2014, 02:37:15 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
So access to rings is forbidden on both sides of the treaties? Like Ivanoff? Oh look, another violation of the treaty by ONI/UNSC!

Not sure how much of that is the party line, and what's actually agreed upon. Infinity's mission to decommission the rings seems like a far better idea than "no one go there!" given the potential for Flood infestation or deliberate firing. There's also the question of exactly when Nightfall is taking place; the bio on Waypoint for Randall says he became Colonel in 2556, so this could be taking place before Halo 4 (and if so, the events of Nightfall could be a big reason to change that status quo of no one goes to the rings...)

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2014, 04:18:20 AM »

Postmortem

• Veteran

« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2014, 03:34:52 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
I've given up on trying to watch these on the 'Halo Channel' they refuse to run properly (or at all), and definitely no pausing to watch side stories or read background info.

I'm watching them on youtube instead because M$ can't be assed optimizing shit for low speed connections.

If lekgolo are so powerful without their armor, why do they bother with it at all?

« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2014, 03:40:32 AM »

Postmortem

• Veteran
If lekgolo are so powerful without their armor, why do they bother with it at all?

I'm going to hazard a guess that it has something to do with Forerunnery stuff.

« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2014, 05:04:54 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
It seems like a set up for 'some lekgolo survived the destruction of the Halo and reverted to their old forerunner tech chomping ways to survive'.

but they've also gone insane? lost their intelligence? because now they just seem to be acting like an animal, on instinct... but replicating the horses? and the soldier???

I dunno.

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2014, 03:19:03 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
Still reading your thoughts, I agree for the most part; although some of the scenes where the Lekgolo are moving unusually fast are obviously just sped up frame rate, so idk if that means that they are actually fast, or it just appears that they are faster cause of the low budget/time constraints.

However, what came to mind as to how fast that they can move is this vid:
http://youtu.be/kbFMkXTMucA?t=1m15s
The vid Explains how catapillars crawling over each other wind up moving faster than they would be able to as individuals; I assume that the lekgolo are employing an extreme version of this technique.

EDIT:
Just finished; good catch with the starling flocks thing it looks eerily similar.

While I recognize that ultimately they are just making a fictional creature with supernatural powers; its worth noting that the one terrestrial example you didn't take into consideration when analyzing the movement of these raw-lekgolo was snakes. Many of the strange contortions that we see the raw-lekgolo in aren't that un-similar to the contortions of some snakes.

The issue with the lekgolo is that they need to be considered both as a collection of individual creatures like a flock or school, while simultaneously being evaluated also as a single central creature.

Cause the whole point of the lekgolo is that they can latch on and connect their nervous systems together to essentially form a single creature.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 04:51:54 PM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2014, 11:36:13 PM »

Postmortem

• Veteran
Still reading your thoughts, I agree for the most part; although some of the scenes where the Lekgolo are moving unusually fast are obviously just sped up frame rate, so idk if that means that they are actually fast, or it just appears that they are faster cause of the low budget/time constraints.

However, what came to mind as to how fast that they can move is this vid:
http://youtu.be/kbFMkXTMucA?t=1m15s
The vid Explains how catapillars crawling over each other wind up moving faster than they would be able to as individuals; I assume that the lekgolo are employing an extreme version of this technique.

EDIT:
Just finished; good catch with the starling flocks thing it looks eerily similar.

While I recognize that ultimately they are just making a fictional creature with supernatural powers; its worth noting that the one terrestrial example you didn't take into consideration when analyzing the movement of these raw-lekgolo was snakes. Many of the strange contortions that we see the raw-lekgolo in aren't that un-similar to the contortions of some snakes.

The issue with the lekgolo is that they need to be considered both as a collection of individual creatures like a flock or school, while simultaneously being evaluated also as a single central creature.

Cause the whole point of the lekgolo is that they can latch on and connect their nervous systems together to essentially form a single creature.

See, I have nothing wrong with the idea behind the Lekgolo in Nightfall. It's purely about the execution. If they had taken a little more time with the animation (or with the whole show), they could've nailed it. Instead, we've got animation similar to something I would have expected from Halo Legends.

Also notice in that video you linked, how when the caterpillars move, the ones on the bottom are stationary. They hold still while the ones at the back crawled over them, so that they're essentially functioning like a wheel, rolling over each other. Or maybe a better comparison would be treads on a tank. The ones on the bottom are stationary because they're locked to the ground, allowing the top ones to move forward.

It's obvious how they did it... they made a "brush" of a single worm making some wriggling movements, knowing that they could apply it to these larger forms flying in the air. Then they picked the general form they needed the swarms to take a layered these individual worms on. But you can't do that, because it doesn't take into account how gravity would work for multiple organisms together, it only takes into account that first template, then copy-pastes.

I don't know... I understand that it's an easy oversight, and that they were probably rushed for time trying to get this out alongside the Master Chief Collection, which also had to be released on the anniversary (one of the other reasons it's so buggy and why they couldn't just extend to work on it more). It's just unfortunate, because the effect is very noticeable, even if most people don't consciously realize what's going on.

By the way, good find with that video. Would've been handy in my original post. :P

I was actually thinking about Hunters today when I was moving a pallet at work. I put my arm inside it and picked it up one-handed, tried swinging it a little bit. This thing was made of just wood, and it was really hard for me to move. If 343 wanted to come up with a great excuse for how the Lekgolo are moving so fast/nearly flying, they should say that the Lekgolo are unusually strong for their size, which enables them to lift a shield composed of the same battle plating used on their spaceships with ease, and appear to defy gravity with their movements. It would be an easy out if they just acknowledged it.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 11:42:20 PM by Postmortem »

« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2014, 01:16:49 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Well, insects etc. *are* incredibly strong, and if you think a Lekgolo is probably just a mass of nerves and muscle, their strength individually isn't that surprising.*

That said they only seemed to fly in Ep 2; from the shots I was paying attention to they act a bit more like running carpet elsewhere, especially scuttling up and down the cliffs in Ep 3.

*Before this series, I would have assumed that the Lekgolo didn't necessarily have normal digestive systems either; after all, how exactly would you "feed" a Hunter? A Scarab? So my thought was that they sort of excreted enzymes, or somehow absorbed stuff from around them. Now that we see they have these jaws I guess it makes a bit more sense how they're latched together, but it sort of throws that out the window as far as how they feed.

On the other hand, if they have actual mouths, I guess they could get fed human centipede style...