Author Topic: Visualizing the Halo Universe!  (Read 2403 times)

Visualizing the Halo Universe!
« on: July 06, 2014, 04:30:06 PM »

Postmortem

• Forward Unto Dawn Writer
  • Veteran
  • No. There is more. But you are not worthy. Not yet
I've brought it back, in case you guys hadn't noticed. :)

We're doing writing now. Come submit some writing.

Re: Visualizing the Halo Universe!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 11:52:34 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
Hmm. But what could I possibly write about Sydney? lol

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 12:11:09 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
Also, there is no word count.

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 01:49:00 AM »

Postmortem

• Veteran
Also, there is no word count.

That's right. Write until you're happy. If I have to put a limit in place I will, but for now I'm just going to see what gets submitted.

As for Sydney, I feel there's a lot you could do with it. You definitely have some already-established foundation to work off of. :)

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 04:02:03 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
I see the future botanical gardens were replaced by future high-rise lol.

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 10:50:12 AM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
  • This is the way the world ends
The area spanning from present day DC to Boston will become one giant clusterfuck of a city.

It would be interesting to see what the capital of the no longer existing United States would be like after the second American revolution. I can't remember what novel that was stated (Contact Harvest?) but that is cool to think about. Dave, jump on it  :P
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 11:06:32 PM »

Postmortem

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 02:37:29 AM »

Postmortem

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 06:05:59 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
Damn it I am so far behind where I want to be lol.

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 01:06:47 AM »

Postmortem

• Veteran
Damn it I am so far behind where I want to be lol.

You and me both dude. I've got so many fun ideas, but pretty much 0 story to use to explore them. :/

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 09:15:10 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
Hmm.. where do I submit it? In the Submit Artwork description box? Or here on the forum?

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 12:57:00 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
Submitting in the description box went badly lol.

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 03:04:03 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
Hmm.. where do I submit it? In the Submit Artwork description box? Or here on the forum?

Can prolly submit it here and make Isaac move it over to his site :P

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 06:50:13 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
I've got it as an email attachment, but I don't have anywhere I can web host it (*.docx).

I can post it on here in an hour or two when i get home from work.

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 10:18:23 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
Part 1

ONI Section 0 Red Flag email intercept, Sydney Synthetic Intellect Institute, 18/07/2551.

They're everywhere Thomas. I see them in the parks and loitering around the train stations. What is the UEG doing? They need to cut them off at the source, scare them off even thinking about coming here. Damn colonial refues. Taxes keep going up, but where's it all going?

Anyway Thom, the meeting with the UNSC reps went about as well as expected. They want more viable products across the whole development range, and they want them yesterday. But now they want all experimental prototypes packed and shipped, everything R&D is working on. Everything! They want all the Micro platforms, all the non-human platforms, the integration tests! They want all the Rampancy candidates pulled out of deep freeze! All current projects are being suspended and we're retooling for standard platform production. We all saw this coming but itís a bitter pill to swallow now itís finally arrived. What are they thinking? What could possibly require so many platforms? And what are they intending for the experimental materials?

Catch up for a few beers down the pub tonight?

Dr. Cornelius Akhtar
Synthetic Neurology
Sydney Synthetic Intellect Institute

You gotta calm down man, the tabloids are making a bigger deal out of these refugees than they really are. Rumour has it things are a mess in the outer colonies, lots of crazy stories out there but where there's smoke there's fire. Or so they say. Like I said, crazy. Sure there are more homeless around now than there were a few years ago, but have you read the financials? The economy has taken a huge dive. No wonder people are left out on the streets. The real estate market sure isn't helping. I don't how long I can afford to keep my place in Manly, I'm being priced out of the market.

That's pretty drastic.. itís going to set our research back for years. I'd be concerned about losing our edge against the competition but my contacts say itís happening globally, even for the civilian contractors and the independent private concerns. The AI journals have nothing to print because nobody is writing papers anymore, just knuckling under to make standard platforms for the military. Wouldn't surprise me if they started co-opting hospital and government platforms (unless they already have, where's my tin hat gone?).
Should I let my team know? Or wait for the official announcement?

Slum it at the Lansdowne?

Thomas Dedrick
Heuristics and Acclimation

You know what a mess they made of the colonies, the wars.. I don't want my kids around when Johnny Eridanus decides to get his own back against his 'oppressors'. As far as I'm concerned they are sub-human and should be treated accordingly. I'm scared about letting my kids catch the train to school. The sooner the new Christmas Island facilities are ready the better I say. Ship them home or lock them up, just keep them away from good, hard-working, honest people.

Let them know Thom, if they haven't heard already. Itís no secret. Hopefully things will simmer down, the economy will pick up again, and we can get back to business as usual. What do you think they are doing with them all? I've heard rumours of some UNSC black budget shenanigans.

Flip music? Sure, why not, as long as there is plenty of beer.

Dr. Cornelius Akhtar
Synthetic Neurology

I don't know about Christmas Island... they are still people, locking them up indefinitely... they might not have any homes to go back to.

(Equips Tin Hat +1) Don't talk about that Cornelius, someone might be listening! Itís just ships. More unrest means more ships, more ships means more AI. Doesn't explain why they want all the experiments, but what the hell, why not. I'm sure if anything important was going on they would let us know.

My shout. Meet you there at seven?

Thomas Dedrick
Heuristics and Acclimation

Sure thing, see you there.

Dr. Cornelius Akhtar
Synthetic Neurology

Part 2

Classification/identification: Sydney City Urban Infrastructure AI Eora UNSC/SN/AUS/57573949-2000
Process: ONI Section 0 Surveillance Tracking Index #4723
Subject: Dr. Cornelius Akhtar, born 13/03/2515, employed by Sydney Synthetic Intellect Institute, Suite #329 Chatswood Arcology 2067
Timestamp: 10:34 20th October 2552

Camera Feed/Surveillance Drone #12493/[descriptive][see attachment]

Significant hull material of UNSC Childe Roland impacts upper concourse of the Greater University of Technology Sydney, causing extensive damage to the offices of the Sydney Synthetic Intellect Institute.

Camera Feed/Emergency Stairs Surveillance Camera #42/[damaged: audio only][voiceprint analysis match Dr. Cornelius Akhtar]

Multiple [medical response flag]

*screaming voices*

"Get everyone downstairs! Down into the train tunnels! Keep moving!"

*screaming voices*

[null ident] "Cornelius? Cornelius! Do you know whats happening?"

"I don't know Betty, I think something hit the building. Just keep moving, I'll meet you downstairs."

*screaming voices*

*distant explosions*

[Medical response flag]

"Thom! Thom, over here!"

[Ident Thomas Dedrick] "Cornelius!"

"Thom, are you hurt?!"

"Itís worse than it looks."

"Do you know what happened?"

"Local news had it pegged as a meteor shower, but..."

*screaming voices*

"Cornelius, my buddy Kwasi in Nairobi says itís an attack. He says ships are duking it out over Mombasa."

"Damn Innie refues!"

*screaming voices*

"Kwasi says they aren't human... he says they're aliens."

*screaming voices*

"Bullshit".

"Head downstairs Cornelius, I'll take over here."

"But..."

"I'll be fine, go. Find your kids man, they're going to need you."

"But... alright Thom, take care."

"You too."

Turnstile #25/Transit Security Station/GUTS Train Station/11:17/[transit pass validation Dr. Cornelius Akhtar]

Camera Feed/GUTS northbound tunnel security camera #1/[descriptive][see attachment][voiceprint analysis match Dr. Cornelius Akhtar]

[null ident] "Where are you going? Hey, you, where do you think you're going?" Citizen grabs Dr. Akhtar's shoulder.

"I'm going to chance the tunnels. I've got to get across the harbour, get back to my family." Dr. Akhtar brushes off assailant.

"You're crazy, you'll never make it to the next station, let alone North Sydney! You're gonna cross the bridge in this shit?"

"I'll take the express tunnel from Central." Dr. Akhtar disappears into northbound tunnel.

GUTS northbound tunnel security access/[special dispensation ONI 0 granted to Dr. Cornelius Akhtar][provision of alternate route to aid evasion of potential hostile parties]

Camera Feed/Central Station security camera #57/[descriptive][see attachment][voiceprint analysis match Dr. Cornelius Akhtar]

Gathering of [citizen],[null ident] and [flag ident illegals]. Subjects armed with [flag law enforcement][PPE]. Subjects armed with [flag redacted].

*sounds of weapons fire*

Multiple [medical response flag]

[flag ident illegal][Translation] "You, stop!" [flag ident illegal] motions with [flag redacted]. [English] "Stop or I shoot!"

"Don't shoot! Please!" Dr. Akhtar raises his hands above his head.

[flag ident illegal]"Are they following you? Are any of them chasing you? How did you get in here?"

"No one followed me; I came up through the GUTS tunnel. I'm trying to get to the intercity express tunnels."

*sounds of weapons fire*

[flag ident illegal]"This way, I'll take you." [flag ident illegal] re-joins group and picks up a [flag redacted]. He walks back to Dr. Akhtar.

[flag ident illegal]"Itís dangerous to go alone. Take this." [flag ident illegal] hands Dr. Akhtar a [flag redacted].

[flag ident illegal]"Good luck, I hope you find them."

"How did you know?"

[flag ident illegal]"There were people like you on my worldÖ people who still had hope. If there is any hope left, it is here, on Earth. What else do we have? Take this escalator. I believe itís still clear. Go."

"Thank you. I... thank you."

Turnstile #13/Transit Security Station/Chatswood Arcology Station/14:43/[transit pass validation Dr. Cornelius Akhtar]

Part 3

[Excerpt from the personal journal of Dr. Cornelius Akhtar, recovered from his home during investigations into the disappearance of the Akhtar family.]

16th January, 2558

Christmas Island is a living hell. They told me I was going to be working on the cutting edge, rebuilding humanity... but...

These aren't animals. We lock them up in cages, we vivisect them, experiment on them. They have me in charge of a team working to adapt Cognitive Impression Modelling to alien brain tissue.

They came here seeking our help, and we abuse them. Torture them. It goes against my Hippocratic Oath. Itís against the Geneva Convention. There are teams working on biological weapons, interrogation techniques, testing the extremes of their physical endurance, temperature, pressure, exposure to chemicals, radiation, drowning...

I don't know what to do about it. As far as I can tell the UEG has been usurped by the UNSC/ONI. There's no real journalism going on, merely thinly veiled propaganda. I want to blow the whistle, but I don't know if there is anyone to hear itÖ

I fear what we are becoming. Little bits and pieces of what has actually been going on for the past thirty-three years have been coming to light. It seems like these aliens were just as misled by their leaders as we were.

Now we have the UNSC Infinity, and they say itís more powerful than any ships the Covenant ever had... to quote from Friedrich Nietzsche, ďBeware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... ď

Have we become the monsters? Or were we ALWAYS the monsters?

Are the Innies, and the aliens really as bad as weíve all been told?

What really happened to New Phoenix?

I may try to find a way to get my family off world. I don't know where we can go, but I'm not sure I want to stay here.

Where are you when I need you Thom?

(edit: oops I had his name backwards half the time lol fix'd)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 05:02:36 AM by Capac Amaru »