Author Topic: Guardians of the Galaxy  (Read 1717 times)

Guardians of the Galaxy
« on: August 03, 2014, 12:43:55 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
OMG GO SEE IT NAOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, it is so good. Also filled with the kind of sci-fi adventure with a little 'hopefullness' that 343 seems to be lacking somewhat of late...

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 03:36:46 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
Wanted to go today, but the SO's parents took up my evening time. Hopefully I'll see it next week.

Still amazing to me that Marvel can get a good movie out featuring a talking raccoon and DC can't even make someone care about Superman.

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 06:07:11 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
I find Fox, Sony, and Warner Bros thrashing around in their attempts to follow up Marvel quite mesmerizing. Mostly the way they palm it off as no big deal, when the Marvel Movie universe is probably the most coherent large film franchise in history.

Yeah it has ups and downs, but does it have ups and downs like the James Bond franchise? Or like Disney films?

Its especially weird that instead of Fox and Sony wanting to jump ON the Marvel bandwagon, they want to construct their own.

At this point, I'd say that Marvel is way out in front, Fox has a chance with the X-Men and the Fantastic Four, Warner/DC I'm anticipating spectacular failure and Sony just have no hope at all (but will keep churning out Spider-Garbage to hold on to the rights forever).

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 06:38:10 PM »

Postmortem

• Forward Unto Dawn Writer
  • Veteran
  • No. There is more. But you are not worthy. Not yet
I never go to big movies opening weekend, but I'll be seeing this sometime this week. :)

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 11:05:38 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
This is a rare movie where I would actually recommend seeing it in a packed theatre.

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 11:18:39 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
I saw it friday, and yeah, the packed theatre totally added to the movie

Great movie, really funny. Some iffy to bad writing and acting at parts (like the part where they tried to shoehorn in some character development of Gamora on the balcony. Or the first scene where she just flippantly remarked about how she was going to betray Ronin when she hadn't actually done any betrayal yet. Also other scenes)
But its forgivable since it wasnt trying to be serious, and actually succeeded in being so funny, and had one of the best soundtracks ever.
Signature.

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 02:04:01 AM »

Postmortem

• Veteran
Agreed, the soundtrack and comedy sold this film. It didn't have all that much else going for it. I don't think this one is going to be as rewatchable as some of the others. I don't think this is the best Marvel film like so many other people seem to be saying (and seem to say every year), but it's up there. Definitely a solid addition.

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 05:51:00 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
Guardians is probably the most 'fun' of all the films.

The Guardians came together as a group really well I thought, and I can't wait to see them come out swinging from the start in the sequel. In fact I had this picture in my head of GotG 2 starting with the Guardians sitting around a table in a restaurant in a busted up space city as an homage to the shawarma scene from Avengers.

As for best? Its getting harder and harder to say. They are all so inextricably intertwined. I'd say Iron Man and Winter Soldier at the top, then Avengers and Guardians, then the rest.

And then I'd have to slip in the One Shots and Shield episodes individually I guess lol.

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 09:27:50 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
I think part of the reason for the "it's the best" comments are everyone is working themselves into a froth over Marvel dooming themselves, so when they manage to pull out another dependable movie everyone rubber-bands the other way :)

The gravy train will end eventually, but it will be interesting to see how long a streak of hits Marvel can pull now.

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 01:05:09 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
I think part of the reason for the "it's the best" comments are everyone is working themselves into a froth over Marvel dooming themselves, so when they manage to pull out another dependable movie everyone rubber-bands the other way :)

The gravy train will end eventually, but it will be interesting to see how long a streak of hits Marvel can pull now.

I'll be happy if they can keep the ball rolling up to Avengers 3. I just hope the climax of this whole infinity stones thing lives up to all the build up.

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 02:35:50 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Kind of funny they're building up the Infinity Gem, considering they had the all-powerful Cosmic Cube by another name and that was just papered over :)

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 03:48:41 PM »

Postmortem

• Veteran
As for best? Its getting harder and harder to say. They are all so inextricably intertwined. I'd say Iron Man and Winter Soldier at the top, then Avengers and Guardians, then the rest.

And then I'd have to slip in the One Shots and Shield episodes individually I guess lol.

Add in Thor 2 and I'll agree with you. I'm not even a fan of the Thor universe or the idea it's based on, but that is a great example of a modern retelling of a classic trickster fable, and the visuals/sound design were so superb.

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2014, 05:49:33 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero

Add in Thor 2 and I'll agree with you. I'm not even a fan of the Thor universe or the idea it's based on, but that is a great example of a modern retelling of a classic trickster fable, and the visuals/sound design were so superb.

The MCU is just greater than the sum of its parts.

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 12:21:08 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
*MASSIVE SPOILER WARNING* Incoming crazy speculation.

COOL?

Ok...

"The source of the Nova Corps power is called the Nova Force which is an unlimited energy generated by a living computer called the Xandarian Worldmind." [wikipedia]

There was no sign of this in the movie. The Nova Corps appeared to be normal humanoids who relied on weapons and technology rather than powers.

It is explained (and shown) in the movie that a group of people sharing the burden of an Infinity Stone (specifically the Power Gem) can control it and mitigate its harmful effects.

The stone is left on Xandar under the protection of the Nova Corps.

Nova Prime has an (at least) passing knowledge of the nature of the Infinity Stones, and other ancient cosmic matters (Star Lord's parentage).

So...

The Nova Corps is going to find a way to use the Power Gem as the Nova Force in either Nova/Nova Corps/GotG2.

*/SPOILERS*

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 02:26:32 AM »

craZboy557

• Rookie
  • Being invisible, failing at sniping.
Another way to interpret that is that by power they just mean energy.
Unbelievably bitchin' Lego dropships don't just build themselves.