Author Topic: Interstellar  (Read 1168 times)

Interstellar
« on: November 11, 2014, 03:04:01 AM »

Postmortem

• Forward Unto Dawn Writer
  • Veteran
  • No. There is more. But you are not worthy. Not yet
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 03:05:17 AM by Postmortem »

Re: Interstellar
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 04:09:35 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
Haven't seen it yet. Seems overhyped, and to have not lived up to it.

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 05:59:56 AM »

Postmortem

• Veteran
I might've gone in with the right expectations, which was not knowing anything beyond the trailer in that post. I heard it got kinda "meh" reviews, but frankly I think that has to be coming from people who are focusing way too much on the negative. The script isn't on the same level as Inception, but it's still really brilliantly written. Only two misses in the whole script that pulled me out of the movie for a moment. For a three hour film, two brief moments isn't bad. The rest is "holy-hell" engrossing.

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 06:10:33 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
I probably should have seen it before Master Chief Kart came out today.

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 07:29:54 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
First time I ever yelled out loud in a movie. Did it twice. Good movie.

Seriously though; I loved it. Got hardly anything negative to say about it.
Its definitely better the less you know about it, but honestly, that's probably the case with all films; but most films that come out don't have the gravitas to draw an audience that doesn't know much about it, and most directors don't have the balls to not explain their entire plot in the trailer.

*PS: Isaac, I Noticed you revamped your blog; looks great.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 07:31:55 PM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 08:13:27 PM »

Postmortem

• Veteran
First time I ever yelled out loud in a movie. Did it twice. Good movie.

Seriously though; I loved it. Got hardly anything negative to say about it.
Its definitely better the less you know about it, but honestly, that's probably the case with all films; but most films that come out don't have the gravitas to draw an audience that doesn't know much about it, and most directors don't have the balls to not explain their entire plot in the trailer.

*PS: Isaac, I Noticed you revamped your blog; looks great.

Thanks. Did it a while ago, just haven't gotten around to posting anything to it since then.

My only two complaints regarding the film are A) the whole "Love transcends our understanding of the universe" speech, and B) it never quite shows how Cooper's daughter figured out what was going on in her room. She just sort of "knew" it suddenly, which I think was a little weak. I would complain about the nonsense of entering black holes, but I get that it was stylized for this film, so I'm letting that one slide.

I loved the score though. On its own, its nothing special, but that track complemented by these intense space visual action sequences of terror (that's a good description, right?) makes it one to remember. I have a feeling space movies/games might see a few more pipe organs and cellos after this one.

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 10:32:01 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
My only two complaints regarding the film are A) the whole "Love transcends our understanding of the universe" speech, and B) it never quite shows how Cooper's daughter figured out what was going on in her room. She just sort of "knew" it suddenly, which I think was a little weak. I would complain about the nonsense of entering black holes, but I get that it was stylized for this film, so I'm letting that one slide.

I loved the score though. On its own, its nothing special, but that track complemented by these intense space visual action sequences of terror (that's a good description, right?) makes it one to remember. I have a feeling space movies/games might see a few more pipe organs and cellos after this one.
I totally agree with your complaint A; it was a little annoying.

BUT, with B; Didn't they explain that? Cause they talked about how the "tesseract" (the "inside of the black hole") was a thing created by future humans, who set all this up so thing so that the dude could save humanity. Or did I not understand your issue correctly.

That is actually an idea that I really liked; like, it makes sense that the future humans would eventually gain mastery of gravity and space and time if they lived on a planet in orbit around a black hole.
Just like right now we orbit a star and as a result most all our technology utilizes and masters magnetism, electricity, and light.
Signature.

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 11:13:44 PM »

Postmortem

• Veteran
BUT, with B; Didn't they explain that? Cause they talked about how the "tesseract" (the "inside of the black hole") was a thing created by future humans, who set all this up so thing so that the dude could save humanity. Or did I not understand your issue correctly.

My issue wasn't how he communicated with her, it was how she figured out it was him. Like... all she had to go off of was the word "Stay", and suddenly 20 years later she's like, "Oh my God... 'Stay'! That's totally my dad!" Keeping in mind that she couldn't look through the tesseract bookshelf like he could. :P

That is actually an idea that I really liked; like, it makes sense that the future humans would eventually gain mastery of gravity and space and time if they lived on a planet in orbit around a black hole.
Just like right now we orbit a star and as a result most all our technology utilizes and masters magnetism, electricity, and light.

Interesting point. Brings up a lot of cool ideas. :)