Author Topic: Halo 5 Beta Impressions  (Read 929 times)

Halo 5 Beta Impressions
« on: January 06, 2015, 02:08:44 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
Wondering what everyone else thinks of the game, now that you plebes have gotten time with it. :)

I still feel like there's almost "too much stuff" in regards to the motion options, but I guess I've gotten acclimated to it now. Interestingly I've noticed I'm not sprinting around as much as in Halo 4.

The time to kill seems a tad too fast for me, especially with the SMG being a power weapon now. I really miss the classic Halo shields sound effect that once again they seem to have changed for the sake of it.

Still don't see the purpose of the ADS on weapons like the AR, but it's not terribly distracting. On the subject of distracting, for the most part I think the UI is cleaner and easier to follow than Halo 4 (except for always putting your team on top in the scores, no matter if you're losing) although I think the lack of onscreen indicators for teammates is bad, and no amount of Spartan chatter will help.

Re: Halo 5 Beta Impressions
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 08:42:54 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
Wondering what everyone else thinks of the game, now that you plebes have gotten time with it. :)

Well then, read my post here.

I loved it. Thought it was absolutely fantastic, I thought the introduction of mechanics was done really well. To me it felt like Halo, but it also felt like something new, something that was a natural evolution from the mechanics already in Halo.
Loved Breakout too; like swat but WAY more intense. The only thing I see being an issue is the maps; I think they will have to continually update the playlist with new variants and layouts and maps like every two or three weeks or so to keep the experience fresh. That said, I'm surely going to be playing a lot of it. And it gives me a reason to actually use a mic in normal matchmaking.

My only negative was the control scheme. I didn't really like any of them.
The best one that I found worked with everything else except it had dodge on B and crouch on rightstick (dont remember if it was default or Halo 4). Which led me to not use the dodge a lot because I would have to stop aiming to actually pull it off. I think if they switched those two it would work perfectly though, so I hope they do.

Quote from: Dangerous David
I still feel like there's almost "too much stuff" in regards to the motion options, but I guess I've gotten acclimated to it now. Interestingly I've noticed I'm not sprinting around as much as in Halo 4.
You know, I kindof agree on some level; it is a lot of new mechanics to introduce into the game all at once. Although I did have a similar feeling, I don't think its actually too much stuff though, I think I would chock much of that feeling up to poor control schemes.  I basically got the handle of all of the new mechanics except for the standard thruster pack dodge thing, but I think that's partly cause of the controls. BUT even then, I think having some mechanics that we don't immediately acclimate to can be a good thing because it adds depth to the core mechanics. It allows for people to play the game a lot and still be learning and exploring mechanics that are new to them, which will elongate the amount of time that they are interested in playing the game.

Quote from: dangeresque
Still don't see the purpose of the ADS on weapons like the AR, but it's not terribly distracting.
I actually thought that the AR was the gun that benefited the most for ADS. It gave it a place in the sandbox as a "pretty decent" versatile weapon that can be used to fairly good effect anywhere short of very long range. The ADS made it so I didn't feel completely outclassed if people were fighting from a distance, while still making it formidable up close.

Quote from: Dave
The time to kill seems a tad too fast for me, especially with the SMG being a power weapon now. I really miss the classic Halo shields sound effect that once again they seem to have changed for the sake of it... ...for the most part I think the UI is cleaner and easier to follow than Halo 4 (except for always putting your team on top in the scores, no matter if you're losing) although I think the lack of onscreen indicators for teammates is bad, and no amount of Spartan chatter will help.

Yeah, I'm a little split on the Time to kill thing, its definitely a little bit too fast, but it felt really good once I got used to it, and I found myself escaping and pulling reversals and everything a lot the more I played so I'm not set on that. Maybe just a teeny bit slower would be better.

I definitely agree with your point on the UI here, its much simpler and nicer. Also I like the fact that they don't hide any info from you. IE; you know exactly how much health you have once your shields pop (ie; its not just an abstract red creep) and you know exactly how much time you have to wait before your shields are back up, but the whole thing is done in a fairly non-invasive manner. It makes the experience feel much more tactical cause it allowed you to make decisions based on that info (or at least; make you FEEL like you are making decisions based on that info. Which is just as valid a point) It felt less like a cooldown or a punishment for losing your shields too. It put the onus on me when I would get caught off guard and get dead, and not on the game, or just that the other guy got lucky.
(also, it makes it so much more intense when you survive with only the smallest bit of your health bar left, ohmygoodness)

« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 08:43:34 PM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

Re: Halo 5 Beta Impressions
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 10:44:55 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
Having the health in spectator mode/killcams at least prevents that feeling of "but I shoulda' killed him!"

On the subject of the last week, Forge maps were nice but not really spectacular, and  Stronghold is just another variation on Dominion/Territories, so nothing to get too excited about; just another solid control objective type.