Author Topic: POST E3 Halo 5 Discussion.  (Read 1091 times)

POST E3 Halo 5 Discussion.
« on: June 15, 2015, 09:50:55 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
In light of the recent epicness that was Microsoft's E3 presentation...

Twitch stream Archive of the conference

Big news summary;

Campaign Demo (ripped from the presentation):

Tons of epic campaign stuff. Nothing super crazy. Chief goes AWOL in the game.
We get to see what looks to be a planet owned by the old covenent. (can anyone get the name? I think the arbiter says it during the trailer)
Chief is chasing one of the guardians, lock and Co are chasing him.
Grunts are still pretty funny.

I'm gonna be honest, thats a super interresting setting: on and old covenent planet as its under attack from the sanghelli and the new covenent, chasing master chief and blue team as they are trying to track down the guardian, which is sending all sorts of promethean soldiers into the mix... Its gonna be epic.

Not super fond of the new "generic bipedal" prometheans. Nor the look of the Bad guy character that attacks Locke, both seem pretty lame and generic.
New weapon; the "plasma caster" looks fine, cant remember if we saw anything like it in the Beta.

Bad guy shows up out of the guardian at the end of the vid and says "I am the warden eternal, Keeper of the domain and all her secrets" So I assume that the moniker "guardian" is refering to a guardian of the domain.

Also the guardians are just MEGA HUGE promethean knights essentially. Like with faces and everything. It was actually pretty epic when you look in background of the shot where the Warden Eternal is attacking locke; its kinda just spookily standing there.

Also we see lekgolo swimming around individually and then convalescing and forming a hunter.

New GameMode, called Warzone is also announced. WHICH LOOKS SO FREAKING AMAZING.
Epic 3 or 4 way battles between two teams of spartans and AI controlled armies. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Sweet Goodness. 12 v 12 players, and huge maps with AI. Gonna be amazing if framerate permits.
Warzone stuff starts at like 11:22 in that twitch stream, the trailer alone without explaination can be found here, but its kinda pointless without his intro description, so I would watch the stream.

EDIT: this is totally Cortana in the reflection, right?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 12:38:03 AM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

Re: POST E3 Halo 5 Discussion.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 12:40:35 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
Very interesting. Warzone seems like an intermediate step between BTB and full-blown Battlefield-styled battlegrounds. I'm hopeful for it.

Campaign stuff didn't actually do too much for me, just because it wasn't anything I didn't expect (except, I suppose, for a new Promethean individual?) It's mostly just the usual linear scripted stuff for flavor. They're definitely playing things a bit closer to the vest this go-round compared to Halo 4.

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 03:05:24 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
Yeah, He's been the one lurking in the background of all the concept art.
Halo canon threw out a theory about how

Also, more detailed look at Warzone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVqksdybfAU
Holy frick.

Basic gameplay is kinda MOBA-like, almost; with each team has an Armory, and then they have a Garage in the middle of the map as command points as well as giving gameplay bonuses (Like the garage can spawn vehicles). But the interesting thing is that its a combination of "Protect your core" type gameplay (each teams base has a core; they lose if its destroyed) Combined with classic halo keep control of power weapons (the vehicles serve as a power weapon analog) And this third PVE element where there is a race to kill these bosses that spawn in to get a huge boon of points, all while trying to kill the other players and AI on top of all that.

The will drop in to the map mid match, They are each "Unique" NPCs, with names and custom look and junk, hopefully they also have unique aspects in how they play or function, rather than purely just stat boosts. (Like how the golden hunters in ODST had the Halo 2 beam canons instead of fuel rods, or something unique and cool like that)

The other interesting thing is that as you play the match you level up and are able to summon in better weapons and things from the halo sandbox. Judging from the vid, it seems like thats what you need the Armories and the Garage for (to spawn stuff in).
The way it works is actually kind of clever, although I'm sure some people will feel rubbed the wrong way.
But it seems like a genius solution IF it works out. Cause its a great combination of: the customization and player investment from the Call of duty style unlocking weapons and stuff. While still retaining the inherent balance of the Halo completely even starts and you have to control a point to get a power item. WHILE mixing in an element of reward based on your skill and performance within that match from MOBAs.
I'm pretty excited.
Signature.

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 05:20:52 PM »

Postmortem

• Forward Unto Dawn Writer
  • Veteran
  • No. There is more. But you are not worthy. Not yet
EDIT: this is totally Cortana in the reflection, right?

I bet it's Halsey.

Not very impressed with the design for the Warden. Very Bionicle/Transformers. It's mostly the face that just doesn't look very Halo to me. And I wasn't really impressed with the voice they decided to go with. It sounds like it was recorded by some teenage modder. Other than that though, everything looks good. Can't wait to have Buck and Linda chatting in my ear through the whole campaign.

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 02:00:09 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
I think what I like about the new Prometheans is that they feel a bit more like Forerunner armor that you essentially stripped the living being out of, and you were left with a shell. I can see why people don't like the floaty bits (you'd think the hard light stuff would look akin to the bridges in the games, blue energy tying things together) but overall I think it adds to the aesthetic they established in Halo 4 nicely (and from a gameplay standpoint solves some of the issues with unclear classes and possibly bullet sponge enemies.)

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 02:18:41 AM »

Slightly Live

• Forward Staff
  • Rookie
  • Logical Plague
    • Forward Unto Dawn
Halsey spotted with Chief in one of the screenshots.

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 03:51:16 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
Halsey spotted with Chief in one of the screenshots.

Yeah, and she's in the campaign trailer for like half a second (and incidentally, I didnt notice until someone pointed her out, but the elite is

Xbox Daily Day 2 talk more about Warzone (specifically the AI) the interresting fiction details though, apparently the holodeck thing on the Infinity operates using hardlight, thats how its able to reform all these different maps. Don't know if that was ever clarified. Still has some issues fictionally, (like are the covenent in warzone also hardlight? are they POWs?) but its a step.
Also, there is such a thing as an "elder hunter" which is just a big beefy red armored hunter. Which makes me wonder even more about lekgolo society.
And i dont remember where this was mentioned, (i think it was halo canon who was talking about it) but isn't red/black the colors of the aliens who are loyal to the arbiter? Why are the hunters red...

EDIT: They are releasing an animated series based on the Fall of Reach with Halo 5. Pretty sick move. Looks gorgeous. source
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 04:17:51 PM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 10:58:46 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
Just read the GI article. Didnt really have much in it of any real significance;

We got a more detailed look at the first level with the chief- was pretty boring to read. But we did get a canon explanation for why the storm covy speak english, (cause jul is losing his authority, so his soldiers are losing some of the strict conservatism that he had enforced) and we got a good explanation about the squad control system: each dpad direction is a different command, you can like, tell them to focus target a guy by hitting up.

Biggest news was that A; no need for xbox live to play coop campaign (idk if they were mistaken or something though, cause thats what halo canon had said, but then he corrected himself...)
And B; with a surprisingly foresightful and innovative decision; all map packs will be free and delivered to everyone in order to not split the player base.

Not much other than that. We did also get a really sweet and good for pr apology from bonnie ross for the rough launch of mcc, which was nice.
Signature.

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 01:30:15 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Just read the GI article. Didnt really have much in it of any real significance;

We got a more detailed look at the first level with the chief- was pretty boring to read. But we did get a canon explanation for why the storm covy speak english, (cause jul is losing his authority, so his soldiers are losing some of the strict conservatism that he had enforced) and we got a good explanation about the squad control system: each dpad direction is a different command, you can like, tell them to focus target a guy by hitting up.

Biggest news was that A; no need for xbox live to play coop campaign (idk if they were mistaken or something though, cause thats what halo canon had said, but then he corrected himself...)
And B; with a surprisingly foresightful and innovative decision; all map packs will be free and delivered to everyone in order to not split the player base.

Not much other than that. We did also get a really sweet and good for pr apology from bonnie ross for the rough launch of mcc, which was nice.

It's always funny what sort of stuff they bother coming up with canon reasoning for, and which they don't :)

The squad commands seem basic, and probably it's better that way—I'm still up in the air on whether the AI will be another Noble Team situation or (hopefully) something better.

At the very least, I expect a FUD crew to roll through and solve that issue via coop :)