Author Topic: Hunters in the Dark  (Read 820 times)

Hunters in the Dark
« on: June 18, 2015, 02:12:30 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
Available now; grabbed the eBook off iTunes and read it in between tours at work.

Feelings haven't quite gelled overall on it. I loved Peter David, based on my exposure to him primarily through the excellent Star Trek: New Frontier books, aka expanded universe Star Trek novels that carried forward the universe and didn't suck, a comparative rarity at the time they came out.

There's definitely a bit of Star Trek influence in his writing here (the Halo universe has antimatter?) But ultimately I'm not sure if he nails the central dynamic this book is designed to highlight—humans and Elites, working together, in a tenuous relationship. We get the Spartan who wants to kill the Elite, we get the Elites who (quite rightly) aren't going to let UNSC politics hold them back, and we get some little touches and bridges between Elites and humans in Vale, who we'll presumably be seeing be useful on Sanghelios in Halo 5. But much like Mortal Dictata, I felt like this book just sort of ended, without any sort of big crescendo or denouement. The central crisis is resolved... but I didn't feel like we got any sort of real ending or understanding for most of the characters. Part of the problem was there were apparently five more than we actually needed in this one; it feels like David realized his halfway in because he breaks on of their legs and sends some of the dead weight characters home to disappear until the end of the book.

The Elites never really felt like Elites, to me—Traviss did a much better job with them overall, although ironically enough for every "as the humans say" in her books we got a "The Elites have a saying" in this one.

I did think the book did some nice rumination on the differences between the Spartan IIs and IVs, and how those differences could alternatively be a liability or a boon.

Re: Hunters in the Dark
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 02:17:56 AM »

Slightly Live

• Forward Staff
  • Rookie
  • Logical Plague
    • Forward Unto Dawn
Im in the middle of an Asimov book right now, dang. How long is Hunters?

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 02:15:26 AM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
  • This is the way the world ends
I actually quite enjoyed this novel. I might have to dwell on my thoughts before writing out more detailed thoughts though.

One thing I will say is that I guess we know who 343gs was referring to when on the Ark in Halo 3. I wonder why Tragic Solitude never attempted to reach out to any of the species during the battle of the Ark if he was as lonely as the novel portrays him to be.

I guess the big take away from this book is that all Forerunner AIs should be put down on sight from now on.
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 02:23:19 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
I actually quite enjoyed this novel. I might have to dwell on my thoughts before writing out more detailed thoughts though.

One thing I will say is that I guess we know who 343gs was referring to when on the Ark in Halo 3. I wonder why Tragic Solitude never attempted to reach out to any of the species during the battle of the Ark if he was as lonely as the novel portrays him to be.

I guess the big take away from this book is that all Forerunner AIs should be put down on sight from now on.

Yeah, it was interesting to have 343 tie up that loose thread, which of course makes me wonder what Bungie's reasoning or original intent was. I sort of just assumed that it was supposed to be MB talking to 343GS.