Author Topic: Splitscreen? Splitsville!  (Read 737 times)

Splitscreen? Splitsville!
« on: July 30, 2015, 06:59:05 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/30/9071137/halo-5-no-split-screen

So much for playing through campaign coop with my brother like I have with every other game in the series...

Re: Splitscreen? Splitsville!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 09:38:26 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
Buy another Xbox, plebe :)

I definitely see the rationale across the board. I doubt the majority of players actually use split screen these days; certainly my own use case with my own brother has largely disappeared. It makes sense to prioritize the experience most players will have. But there's something to be said for couch co-op as an enduring legacy of the Halo games that I will certainly always treasure. Halo was in many ways one of the few last franchises that included it; I remember with the last generation sites like Cooptimus were crying doom for the mode in general.

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 07:37:54 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
I barely use one xbone, let alone two :-P

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 01:44:39 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
Lol, I've actually encountered the reason why they made this descision; I think it has to do with the fact that there is no instancing on the GPU. So in order to do all the crazy effects and tricks and stuff they do to make the game look as good as it does they effectively have to do a lot of programming twice.
So ultimately its just laziness.

(Source; I'm a dude who programs on the gpu and have run into this issue. And I'm just talkin off the top of my head obviously)
Signature.