Author Topic: Micro-aggressions. I mean transactions. Micro-transactions.  (Read 914 times)

Micro-aggressions. I mean transactions. Micro-transactions.
« on: October 12, 2015, 04:48:28 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/30911/article/halo-5-guardians-developer-defends-in-game-microtransactions/

Blah blah blah. I vaguely remember Halo being a super popular, best selling series of full price titles that didn't require nickel and diming everyone.

Re: Micro-aggressions. I mean transactions. Micro-transactions.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 08:54:53 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/30911/article/halo-5-guardians-developer-defends-in-game-microtransactions/

Blah blah blah. I vaguely remember Halo being a super popular, best selling series of full price titles that didn't require nickel and diming everyone.

Well, look at it this way. All those micro transactions are doing is providing an outlet for impatient people to be separated from their money :)

It actually probably cost MS some money, in that I had no desire to buy any of the more expensive editions of the games. I don't need more physical stuff cluttering up my environs (I recently just decided to de-case all my old games, put them in a binder, and recycle them) and if the REQ packs are worth getting later on, I'll do it then rather than getting them ahead of time.

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 01:05:10 AM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
  • This is the way the world ends
It actually probably cost MS some money, in that I had no desire to buy any of the more expensive editions of the games. I don't need more physical stuff cluttering up my environs (I recently just decided to de-case all my old games, put them in a binder, and recycle them) and if the REQ packs are worth getting later on, I'll do it then rather than getting them ahead of time.

I actually had no interest in the statue for the collectors edition of Halo 5 so I'll only be getting the base version as well. I'm interested in The Fall of Reach animation, but I'm sure I'll find other means of watching it.

I am also thinking of doing away with all of my game cases and moving the discs into a case. Great minds think alike?
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 07:36:09 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
I traded my Xbone for a ps4. So I'm just gonna watch a lets play for the story, but even if i hadn't done that, i wouldnt spend any money on micro-transactions out of principle.

That said; what bothers me most is that they aren't even being very smart about how they do the ftp model. Sure it isn't "game breaking" if you don't pay to buy stuff. But its probably going to be less fun if you have to play for a few hours to get a random pack that Might include some really cool stuff; like vehicles that can only to be used in a single match. And I would totally never use a vehicle card in a match, cause I hate using consumables that Can't be refilled in games.

Also; its kind of all contingent on everyone loving the new multiplayer Warzone; if thats a huge flop, there goes 2/3rds of their REQ system.
Signature.

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 02:40:14 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
I traded my Xbone for a ps4. So I'm just gonna watch a lets play for the story, but even if i hadn't done that, i wouldnt spend any money on micro-transactions out of principle.

That said; what bothers me most is that they aren't even being very smart about how they do the ftp model. Sure it isn't "game breaking" if you don't pay to buy stuff. But its probably going to be less fun if you have to play for a few hours to get a random pack that Might include some really cool stuff; like vehicles that can only to be used in a single match. And I would totally never use a vehicle card in a match, cause I hate using consumables that Can't be refilled in games.

Also; its kind of all contingent on everyone loving the new multiplayer Warzone; if thats a huge flop, there goes 2/3rds of their REQ system.

Careful, Tar, what you say is heresy!

Honestly I think random loot is actually the most fair option for unlockables in any of the player investment systems we have seen. Halo: Reach was an absolute slog of a grindfest for credits, which had the benefit of severely harming Firefight, and made you incredibly miserly—better not buy the piece you want because you have to save up for that armor effect. Halo 4 stuck things behind commendations that tended to be a pain as well. Like that visor but don’t want to splatter people all day every day to rank it up? Too bad.

Halo 5’s system seems a lot more liberal in its commendation structure and the REQs let you pay if you’re impatient but otherwise don’t hit that hard.