Author Topic: Star Wars: Safeties off  (Read 1438 times)

Star Wars: Safeties off
« on: December 19, 2015, 04:24:17 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
JJ Abrams has no concept of time or distance.

Already had multiple people tell me 'its just a movie/fiction/scifi it doesn't matter'.

Urge to kill rising.

Re: Star Wars: Safeties off
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 01:21:30 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
I'm thinking I'm going to wait until the new year, when hopefully the crowds will have dissipated somewhat, before I try and go see it. I eagerly await the full Capac review. :)

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 05:32:28 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
I'm thinking I'm going to wait until the new year, when hopefully the crowds will have dissipated somewhat, before I try and go see it. I eagerly await the full Capac review. :)

Its a good movie to see with early crowds though. No laugh out loud cringing at screaming monkey flipping Yoda scenes.

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 12:22:24 PM »

Slightly Live

• Forward Staff
  • Rookie
  • Logical Plague
    • Forward Unto Dawn
I really liked the film. It was a fantastic start to a new trilogy.

And nerds freaking out now were particularly silent on the original movie's issues. The series is a fantasy film first and foremost, and sci-fi film after. Space wizards and laser swords.

Also, after watching the film and seeing the bzuz and hype and that feeling when the credits roll - makes any and all attempts to compare Halo to the Star Wars series really seem dumb.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 12:23:44 PM by Slightly Live »

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 02:37:38 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
I really liked the movie a lot, but starkiller base was dumb, both since narratively it added nothing to the story (besides an epic moment when they fired it with all the storm troopers watching. That was beautiful) and cause even within its own universe it didn't make sense. (did they warp a whole planet through hyperspace? Did the starsystem have two suns? why didn't they just suck up the sun of the system they were shooting? How were they able to see the planets get destroyed from the swamp planet? Why was the laser traveling so slowly, and yet reaching across star systems? And more dumb questions)
But its fine; they blew it up, it was totally pointless and its gone now so I'm not gonna get cut up over how dumb it was...

But no, the movie was amazing, The lightsaber bits honestly were probably the best of the whole series. And all in all it felt good.

Since we are a lore speculation group allegedly; Who do you think Rey's parents are? Who do you think Snoke is?
Signature.

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 12:31:55 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
I really liked the movie a lot, but starkiller base was dumb

I was on board until that point, then I cringed so hard I almost hurt myself. It doesn't even attempt to open some kind of hyperspace window or something to fire through.

But no, the movie was amazing, The lightsaber bits honestly were probably the best of the whole series. And all in all it felt good.

Its a fun watch, but its rife with problems. The good characters are all just too good at whatever they want to do. Two of three are tortured, and one has been indoctrinated since childhood, but none show signs of trauma or other injurious side effects. Hyperspace is broken. General Hux is too young to be in charge of a special stormtrooper indoctrination program that took Finn as a child. The only aliens from the original trilogy in it are memes. etc etc

Since we are a lore speculation group allegedly; Who do you think Rey's parents are? Who do you think Snoke is?

Rey: Han and Leia's daughter, twin of Ben. Luke's daughter. Obi-wan's grand-daughter. Wedge's daughter (just thought of this one). Benedict Cumberbatch Kahn's daughter lol.

Snoke: some total Mary Sue villain who was controlling the Emperor all along. A tiny little evil Yoda counterpart. Darth Plagueis. Some ancient, original Sith lord. Who knows.

I wasn't excited for this movie. I'm not really excited for follow ups. The whole the stinks of Star Trek 2009, and I see the same arrows that hinted at the grand travesty of Star Trek Into Darkness

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 02:03:35 AM »

Slightly Live

• Forward Staff
  • Rookie
  • Logical Plague
    • Forward Unto Dawn
Book things:

- in the book the Starkiller Base weapon opens a hyperspace rift, weapon fires into it, it opens in the Hosnian system, weapon fires out, boom.
- the girl on Hosnian Prime that gets front and centre screenspace during the attack is an envoy Leia sent to the Republic Senate to Request military aid against the New Order
- Snoke comments on watching Palpatines rise and fall, indicating he's been around since at least pre-Clone Wars

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 11:32:11 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
Book things:

- in the book the Starkiller Base weapon opens a hyperspace rift, weapon fires into it, it opens in the Hosnian system, weapon fires out, boom.
- the girl on Hosnian Prime that gets front and centre screenspace during the attack is an envoy Leia sent to the Republic Senate to Request military aid against the New Order
- Snoke comments on watching Palpatines rise and fall, indicating he's been around since at least pre-Clone Wars

But no reason why it can be seen from Takodana I presume?

She looks like a picture of an Imperial I saw someone post from one of the new books. No idea if its the same character or not. Also why the hell is the government willing to allow a paramilitary group with access to governmental level funding free reign in their publicized efforts to hunt down a war hero?

If Snoke was seriously controlling Palpatine from behind the scenes... ugh.

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2016, 05:31:21 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
I think Rey is Obi-wan's granddaughter. Its the only one with any real "evidence"

And Snoke is totally Darth Plageus. I doubt he was controlling palpatine; more just lying around waiting for palpatine to be gone, and trying to regain his strength and nurse himself back from death. When I first saw the movie I was ticked off by this sudden inclusion of a new character that suddenly threw a wrench in our perception of everything that has happened in the whole trilogy. But its not that bad when you consider that the Plageus theory makes a lot of sense, and explains why he hasn't been seen for so long.

(Plageus was Sidious's master, mentioned in one scene in epIII who Sidious said he killed, but who he also said knew how to cheat death. Also the opera theme that is playing when they talk about Plageus is purportedly the same as Snoke's theme)
Signature.

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 09:12:15 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
Hmm... what other JJ Abrams movie have I seen where he lied about the villain despite obvious clues to his identity.... a villain who was featured in the base material, then recast completely different from his previous appearance, a master manipulator who ends up just being a violent asshole in his new incarnation?

Hmm....

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 05:11:26 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Hmm... what other JJ Abrams movie have I seen where he lied about the villain despite obvious clues to his identity.... a villain who was featured in the base material, then recast completely different from his previous appearance, a master manipulator who ends up just being a violent asshole in his new incarnation?

Hmm....

To be fair, I don't think Khan was "just a violent asshole", aside from pulping RoboCop's skull (and, my deep complaints with the film starting with the reuse of the making-ships-pointless teleporter and deepening as soon as Sherlock says the word "Khan" aside, I liked that scene.)

It is funny though, because now the latest TFA mini-kerfuffle is Rey not being one of four pieces in a Monopoly set, and rather than sexism the simplest explanation could be J.J. keeping everyone in the dark about who the important characters were in the series.

I do think his "puzzle box" approach to spoilers is pretty much the extreme and harmful tail end of the reticence of spoilers in general. Yeah, I get wanting people to go into your film with clear eyes and all that, but outright lying to them repeatedly isn't doing that either.

Will probably go see it this weekend, while the missus is away.

I feel like we have to record a FUDcast all about it, because that's what all my other podcast subscriptions have been doing *sigh*.

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 02:31:53 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
Well he sure seemed more interested in blowing things up, shooting people, and making hamburger with his bare knuckles than he did in saving his cryosleep comrades.

Rey was the least interesting character for me. She's just so great at everything. I never believed she was in danger because everything she wants to do just happens effortlessly. She's worse than the UNSC Infinity.

I want to ask 'what's so hard about not answering speculation', but I know the answer is 'OMG they figured out our SUPER CLEVER AWESOME TWIST, quick, lie to everyone!'.

You could do a critical podcast on it, but Disney suits will kick in your door and eat your children.

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 06:46:53 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Finally saw this yesterday.

Overall I thought it was decent and entertaining, although the fact that they cribbed so much from A New Hope is pretty shocking, as is the fact that (presumably) by the end of the movie they've basically just time-warped everything back to Empire vs. Rebels circa The Empire Strikes back, except now it's the First Order vs. Resistance and the ships look slightly different. I can see why Lucas was pissed. They basically shit all over the end of Return of the Jedi.

Rey did seem to surpass even Luke for "I'm great at everything!" character development; the arguments for calling her a Mary Sue I think are pretty sound. On the plus side, she wasn't as whiny as Luke, so it's kind of a wash. I hope to god she isn't supposed to be so-and-so's daughter, because the fact that in the wide galaxy everyone is related to everyone else is always stupid. Finn didn't get much of an arc and Poe is just I guess supposed to be Harrison Ford replacement, but they were fine, and they managed to carry off the minor humor moments with aplomb.

I get that they seemed to consciously decide "we can't out-Vader Vader, so let's not try" but Kylo Ren just came off as a punk-ass kid who no one would take seriously, and if I were Han I'd wonder if Leia was stepping out on him because that guy seems in no way shape or form to have any relation to him.

The shiny Stormtrooper Lady was basically there to sell toys, right? Because she was irrelevant to the film and a waste of lines.

I guess besides ripping off another movie my main issue was how rushed it seemed. Suddenly R2-D2 comes alive to keep the plot kicking and we can have that staredown with Luke. Compared to the time we got on the Death Star, the Death Planet thing never really felt that real to me, just another setting to shuffle through. Maybe this is really Abrams and Disney's Star Trek 09 approach to Star Wars, gotta' take some shortcuts so we can do what we want next movie.

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016, 08:36:10 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero

Overall I thought it was decent and entertaining, although the fact that they cribbed so much from A New Hope is pretty shocking, as is the fact that (presumably) by the end of the movie they've basically just time-warped everything back to Empire vs. Rebels circa The Empire Strikes back, except now it's the First Order vs. Resistance and the ships look slightly different. I can see why Lucas was pissed. They basically shit all over the end of Return of the Jedi.

Rey did seem to surpass even Luke for "I'm great at everything!" character development; the arguments for calling her a Mary Sue I think are pretty sound. On the plus side, she wasn't as whiny as Luke, so it's kind of a wash. I hope to god she isn't supposed to be so-and-so's daughter, because the fact that in the wide galaxy everyone is related to everyone else is always stupid. Finn didn't get much of an arc and Poe is just I guess supposed to be Harrison Ford replacement, but they were fine, and they managed to carry off the minor humor moments with aplomb.

I get that they seemed to consciously decide "we can't out-Vader Vader, so let's not try" but Kylo Ren just came off as a punk-ass kid who no one would take seriously, and if I were Han I'd wonder if Leia was stepping out on him because that guy seems in no way shape or form to have any relation to him.

The shiny Stormtrooper Lady was basically there to sell toys, right? Because she was irrelevant to the film and a waste of lines.

I guess besides ripping off another movie my main issue was how rushed it seemed. Suddenly R2-D2 comes alive to keep the plot kicking and we can have that staredown with Luke. Compared to the time we got on the Death Star, the Death Planet thing never really felt that real to me, just another setting to shuffle through. Maybe this is really Abrams and Disney's Star Trek 09 approach to Star Wars, gotta' take some shortcuts so we can do what we want next movie.

Hopefully they were just playing it Way too safe for this movie, and then with the next movie they will actually do something new. Hopefully they learned from Star Trek.

I've heard that they delayed the next movie for re-writes to feature the new characters more heavily. Which is both good to hear, and worrying that they hadn't already planned on doing that.
Signature.

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 04:08:19 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site

Hopefully they were just playing it Way too safe for this movie, and then with the next movie they will actually do something new. Hopefully they learned from Star Trek.

I've heard that they delayed the next movie for re-writes to feature the new characters more heavily. Which is both good to hear, and worrying that they hadn't already planned on doing that.

I imagine the Disney overlords want safe and careful over everything else at this point. You certainly can't say they've been sloppy with their cinematic universes thus far.