Author Topic: So that new Star Trek TV series  (Read 674 times)

So that new Star Trek TV series
« on: February 09, 2016, 09:24:48 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
http://www.startrek.com/article/bryan-fuller-named-co-creator-of-new-star-trek-tv-series

Well that's interesting...

I wasn't actually aware Bryan Fuller had a long history of teleplay/story credits on VOY and a few on DS9, so he's certainly someone who gets Trek; Pushing Daisies is probably one of my favorite shows in recent memory, and I certainly hear good things about Hannibal.

At the very least, if this TV series lasts only a couple of seasons I'd expect them to be good :) CBS locking it behind their crummy paywall certainly isn't going to show it to a new audience.

Re: So that new Star Trek TV series
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 01:06:57 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
Little confidence since Nu Trek. Not gonna hold my breath. If it is good, I guess I'll be pleasantly surprised.

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 01:08:15 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
Very interesting. I wonder how its going to shake out in the post - TV production value has gotten super high quality lately - world.
Sci fi shows are kind of in a weird spot lately; They usually can't get the money to pull off good special effects; but good TV has moved on to the point where its a lot harder to get away with bad special effects
Signature.

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 04:30:06 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
They should set it in the same time period as the original series and use the remastered graphics style.

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 02:36:15 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
I haven't watched some of the more recent VOY and ENT stuff outside of Netflix, but I never felt bad effects were ever Star Trek's problem—if anything I feel like the usual problem with modern shows is in regards to compositing. Even DS9's early CG still holds up quite well in HD (at least the ships—the Great Link stands out as just terribad.) Things like transporter effects and phaser blasts have become college-level visual effects. As long as they don't cheap out and say "you'll do that in post" with all the effects they're going to be fine.

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 02:45:56 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
Maybe they'll use actual ship models rather than cg...

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 03:14:11 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Maybe they'll use actual ship models rather than cg...

Well, if I were in charge I'd see no reason not to do at least the main ship and get some beauty passes in. I feel like because a segment of fandom is now on this "OMG it's practical that means it's BETTER" hipster kick, it should be easier to get approval for stuff like that.

Although I feel like the bigger issue has been CG wasn't being fully used. Enterprise finally got the memo with S3 when their ship showed actual damage on occasion, but Voyager could have used some sort of long-term damage continuity on their models. They get into fights so rough 'em up!

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 06:02:49 PM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
Star Trek was Wagon Train to the stars.

Voyager was a wagon train that ran a few laps around the entire frontier with barely a scratch or an injury, despite rubbing every single indian tribe in the west the wrong way, then got home by space magic.

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 06:53:00 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Star Trek was Wagon Train to the stars.

Voyager was a wagon train that ran a few laps around the entire frontier with barely a scratch or an injury, despite rubbing every single indian tribe in the west the wrong way, then got home by space magic.

And I still love a lot of it. Part of it is just that it was the series I watched as it ran as a kid, and part of it was probably that they still had enough interesting actors, if not characters, to enjoy, especially with Picardo and Jeri Ryan later on.

Honestly if I had the ability to do my own Star Trek series I think I'd set it at least partially in the Delta Quadrant again—maybe make it a different region—and follow up on a lot of Voyager's threads, because there's still a lot of interesting stuff to delve into, especially in regards to their outsize impact. If we continued the "real time" sequence of the 90s TV shows, it's what... 2393 or 2394ish? Imagine the sorts of legends that would have sprouted up and spread in that time. And what ended up happening to the Borg Resistance?

Likewise, there's so much fodder for Alpha Quadrant stuff in the wake of the Dominion War. How did the war change Starfleet's outlook? What happened to Section 31? How do the Cardassians deal with their near-destruction? How do the Romulans deal with their actual-destruction?

I guess that's partially why a reboot seemed so egregious to me. There's so much fodder for new and interesting stories in the "prime" universe as-is. I don't think this idea that you build ever-more-rickety fictional universes that collapse under required plot knowledge actually has to hold true at all.

If anything, I'm hopeful that Fuller keeps Star Trek appropriately light when it's warranted. Humor has actually been one of the weaker aspects of Trek a lot of the time.