Author Topic: Fall of Reach - Animated  (Read 635 times)

Fall of Reach - Animated
« on: September 08, 2016, 10:40:34 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
  • ONI Analyst: Section Zero: Xenological Studies
    • Zebra Monkeys - home of Light Echoes
So, I finally watched this. They depicted John as a lot more blood thirsty, and power hungry, than what I got from the book.

Re: Fall of Reach - Animated
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 11:54:00 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
So, I finally watched this. They depicted John as a lot more blood thirsty, and power hungry, than what I got from the book.

I think his portrayal was pretty spot on (with the allowance that it's hard to get some of John's internal thoughts through a non-book medium) with the exception of the ODST fight. In this incarnation he seems much more like he wants to start shit, versus in the book where he's non-confrontational and thinks that it's a training exercise.

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 06:50:39 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
I can't say I really pictured him pachycephalasaurusing another kid off the top of a 3m pyramid in the book.

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 03:42:48 PM »

Sarmas

• Recruit
  • Heretic
I can't say I really pictured him pachycephalasaurusing another kid off the top of a 3m pyramid in the book.

Was it not a actual hill in the original version? A bit different than the junglescape.

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 08:07:13 AM »

Capac Amaru

• Hero
He seemed a lot more like he didn't want to hurt people unnecessarily in the book.

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 02:08:52 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site

Was it not a actual hill in the original version? A bit different than the junglescape.

Yeah it was a hill.

Which I guess brings up the question of what The Fall of Reach really adds, and I think that's the reason it's disappointing. It's 95% accurate to the books, but there are little niggling things throughout that aren't correct. It's covering a space in time we've already heard about, and already got a visual representation of (the comic.)

I guess the intention was to fill in who Blue Team was, but The Fall of Reach really doesn't do that any more than the original book did. It's got some character growth for Chief but his team is his team.