Author Topic: Podcast ep 2 discussion  (Read 1906 times)

Podcast ep 2 discussion
« on: January 03, 2012, 01:49:37 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
Hey everyone, i was listening to the second episode, and i just had a couple of points that i thought i would bring up. And if anyone else has any comments or thoughts about the podcast, feel free to post them here.

Sorry if my points are a little disorganized, im in a little rush.

--- UNSC's pet shield world ---
During the discussion about how Amazingly powerful the new shield world would be, and how OP that might be for the UNSC, I wanted to say that; with a potential crazy powerful weapon like the shield world comes corruption. All the factions and groups that make up the UNSC are probably going to be grappeling for control of the shield world. Also, if the Insurrection were to hear of it, I cant imagine them sitting around waiting for it to be weaponized. They would definately try something, and While the UNSC is much more powerful and would destroy them in any show of force, you have to remember how difficult it would be to defend the shield world. Because of its immense size, keeping up a good defence all around it would be nigh impossible.
And in answer to someone's question about where all the sentinals and debris from onyx are, again the answer lies in the size of the shield world. All debris and sentinals would most likely have been in teh center of the sphere, where the sphere's sun now lies. the real question i have, is where did onyx's sun go? surely when this massive dyson sphere emerged from slipspace, where is the sun that onyx had been orbitting? or did i just miss that explaination.

---Nano Machines---
Im not thrilled by the idea of Nano machines either. however, i speculate that this may just be the canonical way of explaining how reach's "armor customization" now makes it into halo 4, allowing the machines to alter his suit to whatever the player wants.

Tell me what yall think.
Alright guys, i love the site and the new forums, And Especially the podcast, so keep it up.
Signature.

Re: Podcast ep 2 discussion
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 02:04:15 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
Good point--we did't even consider how the shield world would be contested. Hopefully they do *something* with it, and I'd be satisfied if they didn't get to fully plumb its secrets.

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 03:20:56 AM »

Slightly Live

• Forward Staff
  • Rookie
  • Logical Plague
    • Forward Unto Dawn
Hey everyone, i was listening to the second episode, and i just had a couple of points that i thought i would bring up. And if anyone else has any comments or thoughts about the podcast, feel free to post them here.

Sorry if my points are a little disorganized, im in a little rush.

--- UNSC's pet shield world ---
During the discussion about how Amazingly powerful the new shield world would be, and how OP that might be for the UNSC, I wanted to say that; with a potential crazy powerful weapon like the shield world comes corruption. All the factions and groups that make up the UNSC are probably going to be grappeling for control of the shield world. Also, if the Insurrection were to hear of it, I cant imagine them sitting around waiting for it to be weaponized. They would definately try something, and While the UNSC is much more powerful and would destroy them in any show of force, you have to remember how difficult it would be to defend the shield world. Because of its immense size, keeping up a good defence all around it would be nigh impossible.
And in answer to someone's question about where all the sentinals and debris from onyx are, again the answer lies in the size of the shield world. All debris and sentinals would most likely have been in teh center of the sphere, where the sphere's sun now lies. the real question i have, is where did onyx's sun go? surely when this massive dyson sphere emerged from slipspace, where is the sun that onyx had been orbitting? or did i just miss that explaination.

---Nano Machines---
Im not thrilled by the idea of Nano machines either. however, i speculate that this may just be the canonical way of explaining how reach's "armor customization" now makes it into halo 4, allowing the machines to alter his suit to whatever the player wants.

Tell me what yall think.
Alright guys, i love the site and the new forums, And Especially the podcast, so keep it up.

You bring up some good points.

Shield World

Very good point. The only thing keeping other groups or factions away right now if that no one knows it exists. It depends on how long they can keep it a secret and if they can't they may find themselves in a difficult position. You also have to consider how ONI and the Engineers get along and what kind of defences the Engineers can operate. Could the Shield World once again revert into a slipspace bubble? We just don't know.

The sun. Yeah. I don't think it was addressed. The installation is 2 AU in size, surely it would have done something. Technically it could have even swallowed the sun and still have plenty of space.

Nano Machines

Frankie was pretty clear that the machines would allow for on the go adjustments and temporary fixes but nothing as drastic as adding new components or abilities. 343 have also made it clear that the Chief's new suit and how he goes about getting it will be important so I'm happy to see how they address it and hope that won't rely on some kind of deux ex explanation.

Thanks for listening! =)

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 04:36:56 AM »

Postmortem

• Forward Unto Dawn Writer
  • Veteran
  • No. There is more. But you are not worthy. Not yet
I think in the process of discussing Shield World Trevelyan, it's easy enough to lose perspective on its sheer size. The most important thing to keep in mind is that this is more a location than a ship or piece of equipment. It's not something that the UNSC, even if it has some limited form of control, will be able to utilize in the same way that they would utilize a frigate or destroyer. We keep talking about it as a weapon, but more than anything, it's a new set piece for the next generation of Halo, if you will. There's absolutely no reason multiple hostile factions couldn't reside comfortably within its shell, if it came down to it.

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 07:35:46 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
I had another idea about the shield world; if the halo 4 object is a shield world (one thats "alive") What if whatever is controlling the halo 4 thing reactivates whatever dormant defences that trevelyan has and begins to use them against the UNSC? That would make for some very interresting plot-age.
Signature.

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 07:37:54 PM »

Postmortem

• Forward Unto Dawn Writer
  • Veteran
  • No. There is more. But you are not worthy. Not yet
Interesting idea. I find that the concept of a "hostile" Trevelyan is much more intriguing than a dormant Forerunner shell which the races of the galaxy are free to explore and exploit as they wish.

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 07:47:27 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
Interesting idea. I find that the concept of a "hostile" Trevelyan is much more intriguing than a dormant Forerunner shell which the races of the galaxy are free to explore and exploit as they wish.

Unless the plot is set up where all the factions are making a play for trevelyan, and right when it would come to a head, trevelyan reactivates, and then its just a crazy huge fight or something... Might make for some interresting gameplay.

Although i like the idea of the politics and events that would come from multiple people or factions within the UNSC making power grabs for the station.

Nano Machines

Frankie was pretty clear that the machines would allow for on the go adjustments and temporary fixes but nothing as drastic as adding new components or abilities. 343 have also made it clear that the Chief's new suit and how he goes about getting it will be important so I'm happy to see how they address it and hope that won't rely on some kind of deux ex explaination.

Yeah, i dont think that the customizations would add new abilities or functions. It would just be like Reach's "Armory" where you can buy new armor pieces with credits and stuff, and then the canon explaination is that "nanomachines" altered his suit. Cause when you think about it, the custom suit pieces would fall under the category of little fixes and minor upgrades. Because the custom pieces dont actually augment your performance or anything, they are purely cosmetic. Or, as somebody mentioned on the podcast, a change in visor color. Or a change in armor color. Im not saying that its going t happen, just that it is a probablity
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 08:35:03 PM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 09:22:33 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site

Unless the plot is set up where all the factions are making a play for trevelyan, and right when it would come to a head, trevelyan reactivates, and then its just a crazy huge fight or something... Might make for some interresting gameplay.

Although i like the idea of the politics and events that would come from multiple people or factions within the UNSC making power grabs for the station.

I think regardless, this is probably something that's gonna' happen in the Glasslands trilogy. Trevelyan seems just too big a discovery to shoehorn into the beginning of Halo 4, which takes place somewhere else. Maybe it will tie in later on, though.

Nano Machines

Frankie was pretty clear that the machines would allow for on the go adjustments and temporary fixes but nothing as drastic as adding new components or abilities. 343 have also made it clear that the Chief's new suit and how he goes about getting it will be important so I'm happy to see how they address it and hope that won't rely on some kind of deux ex explaination.

Yeah, i dont think that the customizations would add new abilities or functions. It would just be like Reach's "Armory" where you can buy new armor pieces with credits and stuff, and then the canon explaination is that "nanomachines" altered his suit. Cause when you think about it, the custom suit pieces would fall under the category of little fixes and minor upgrades. Because the custom pieces dont actually augment your performance or anything, they are purely cosmetic. Or, as somebody mentioned on the podcast, a change in visor color. Or a change in armor color. Im not saying that its going t happen, just that it is a probablity
[/quote]