Author Topic: Introductions?  (Read 5793 times)

Introductions?
« on: January 03, 2012, 01:29:58 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
// New members, introduce yourself here \/  \/

Hey, first time posting. i figured, since the community here will most likely be a smaller one, we should have a place to introduce ourselves and stuff. I think it will help to get know people better. Ill start, i guess.

Hey, im Tar Alacrin. I live in the burbs in Michigan (US, if you didnt know). Im a senior in highschool, looking to go into video game art/design in college. Been playing halo since Halo first came out, And now, theyre pretty much the only game i will spend my money on. I fell in love with the fiction of halo when i first read the fall of reach, and ive read every book since. And i have always loved speculation of the Halo story, and this website does exactly what I love. Found out about forward unto dawn through listening to podtacular, and when i heard forward unto dawn's podcast, I fell in love. its soo good guys.
Soooo yeah... thats me... Tar Alacrin
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 04:25:15 AM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

Re: Introductions?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 01:41:36 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
Welcome! And sweet name :P

I hail from Virginia (northern Virginia, which real Southerners say doesn't count), graduated and looking for work as we speak (which means lots of Halo downtime, evidently.)

What kinds of colleges are you looking at? I've heard lots of people talk about focusing on that but never actually met someone who took the plunge :)

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 03:22:58 AM »

Slightly Live

• Forward Staff
  • Rookie
  • Logical Plague
    • Forward Unto Dawn
I'm Dani, from Northern Ireland over in the UK and I started up the site here and do all the boring behind the scenes running and whatnot when I'm not writing.

Welcome to the site!

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 04:19:51 AM »

Postmortem

• Forward Unto Dawn Writer
  • Veteran
  • No. There is more. But you are not worthy. Not yet
What kinds of colleges are you looking at? I've heard lots of people talk about focusing on that but never actually met someone who took the plunge :)

Ahem.

I'm Isaac, and I'm moving to Chicago on the 19th of this month to study Game and Interactive Media Design. Been involved in everything Halo since Halo 2, and glad I delved deep right off the bat. I tend to fall in love with any game that has a heavily grounded/unified fiction and universe (Halo, Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, etc). The back story of Halo is such a rich and exciting place, and I'm happy to get the chance to explore it as much as I can for FUD.

Welcome to the site. :)

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 02:35:29 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
  • This is the way the world ends
Hey everyone!

Like Mr. Dangerous Dave, I also hail from NoVA (northern Virginia) and I am currently a junior in college. I am studying finance and work as an intern with the government in Washnington, D.C. I have loved the halo universe since I first picked my friend's xbox controller to play Combat Evolved when I was 12. I enjoy reading all of the books, as well as discovering websites that like to discuss the Halo universe. I loved the ascendant justice forums, before it was ultimately discontinued. However, it did lead me to this site which I am very thankful for. I check this website everyday for new articles, but now that it has a forum section, it makes the site that much better.

I have read all of the books, played all of the games, so I enjoy talking any aspect of the universe with any and all other Halo fans. I look forward to talking with you all!

Happy 2012,

Tony
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 02:54:58 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Hey everyone!

Like Mr. Dangerous Dave, I also hail from NoVA (northern Virginia) and I am currently a junior in college. I am studying finance and work as an intern with the government in Washnington, D.C. I have loved the halo universe since I first picked my friend's xbox controller to play Combat Evolved when I was 12. I enjoy reading all of the books, as well as discovering websites that like to discuss the Halo universe. I loved the ascendant justice forums, before it was ultimately discontinued. However, it did lead me to this site which I am very thankful for. I check this website everyday for new articles, but now that it has a forum section, it makes the site that much better.

I have read all of the books, played all of the games, so I enjoy talking any aspect of the universe with any and all other Halo fans. I look forward to talking with you all!

Happy 2012,

Tony

Cool. Which branch of the gov't?

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 03:44:38 PM »

Slightly Live

• Forward Staff
  • Rookie
  • Logical Plague
    • Forward Unto Dawn
Welcome to the site, Tony!

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 07:56:06 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero

Im looking at is a medium sized college called Lawrence Tech. The major i want to go into is a game art program. I felt similarly about "video game" degrees too, but then i looked into the program, and it seemed like it was flexible enough to be useful in other areas, if video games didnt work out.
Signature.

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 07:58:15 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero

The Department of Agriculture
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 09:19:52 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site

Im looking at is a medium sized college called Lawrence Tech. The major i want to go into is a game art program. I felt similarly about "video game" degrees too, but then i looked into the program, and it seemed like it was flexible enough to be useful in other areas, if video games didnt work out.

Oh, I'm not knocking the idea of gaming-related degrees. Ultimately a degree is a degree. If you're driven, you can get the job you want, and having a related degree helps but isn't necessary. If you aren't going to law school I don't think many people are snobs about from where you graduated either. :)

The Department of Agriculture

Cool. Haven't heard any horrible stories about the USDA, so I assume they're a lot better to work for than DHS or MMS. Or the Navy. Man, those guys were not fun to work for.

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 11:43:38 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
Cool. Haven't heard any horrible stories about the USDA, so I assume they're a lot better to work for than DHS or MMS. Or the Navy. Man, those guys were not fun to work for.

USDA actually has a horrible reputation for discrimination (most recently with the Shirley Sherrod scandal). Even as a very calm, collected and polite person, I always get looked upon as someone who thinks they are better than everyone else because of my skin color.

But other than that, it's not so bad. I can't really compare it to anything else since this is the first real job I've had since working at a local restaurant. My mom actually works for DHS and she has said that just recently it has gotten really bad, in respect to how employees are treated.
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 12:01:45 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site

USDA actually has a horrible reputation for discrimination (most recently with the Shirley Sherrod scandal). Even as a very calm, collected and polite person, I always get looked upon as someone who thinks they are better than everyone else because of my skin color.

But other than that, it's not so bad. I can't really compare it to anything else since this is the first real job I've had since working at a local restaurant. My mom actually works for DHS and she has said that just recently it has gotten really bad, in respect to how employees are treated.

Wooh! Government :P

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 03:10:17 PM »

That Gunslinger

• Veteran
  • Forerunner Tank: Awesomeness would ensue.
Hello everyone, my name is That Gunslinger. I'm 18 years old and from North-East England. The first time I played Halo was at my friends house in 2001, it was a match of slayer on Blood Gulch, and after that I fell in love with the franchise. The initial attraction of Halo was simply barrel-rolling a warthog, and this is understandable considering how young I was.

Eventually though I was old enough to appreciate the complex fiction to be found in the games, and then the expanded fiction. I have currently read pretty much every piece of Halo fiction available and I enjoy discussing it in a more in-depth way. Therefore this seems to be the perfect forum for me. And I much prefer smaller communities too.

And I love the podcasts, they're very entertaining.
"Life is trial Riser."
"For little Elephants as well."

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 03:51:58 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Glad to hear, and I'm sure Slightly will be happy to have someone else from his time-zone :)

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 06:11:51 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
Haha, hey man, I am Still entertained endlessly by barrel rolling warthogs, so don't knock!
Signature.