Author Topic: Introductions?  (Read 5640 times)

Re: Introductions?
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2012, 05:14:43 AM »

Bryan

• Recruit
  • Heretic
    • G+
Oh cool, and intro thread! For the past month and a half, I'd only been lurking in the Fiction forums. :P

Hello. My name is Bryan Tran, and I live in Edmonton, Canada. I am a proud Canadian and an aspiring fanboy of the Halo Universe and her canon. I also happen to be a huge mobile phone enthusiast taking part in Android development, as well. I actively follow transit system news and municipal developments and governance, it's been my passion since I was 5. Enrolled in high school, I am in Grade 11 at 16 years old. I am fluent in English and Vietnamese, and have had taken French since age 9.

My first drop into Halo was with Halo 2, at around 2005, over at a friend's. It was a level with the chapter "Juggernaut". I later found this out to be "The Oracle". I had just picked up the controller and played around with the controls while my partner advanced and told me what to do. To me, then, all there was to this "Halo" were zombies, guns, alien protagonists, and the music.

Oh the music, the wonderful, wonderful music.

I had known this music was out there...somehow. It couldn't have been only me who had admired the music. So I got it, on my old-school MP3 player of 1GB. The Halo 2 Original Soundtrack Volume 1 was absolutely beautiful. I had picked it up at the library (mainly because it was free). I never cared much to music before then. The only music I was exposed to was music class, where we sang and played the recorder. I recall having astronomical skill and theory knowledge in that class, but listening to music and bands were never my thing before Halo.

So in the couple summers that followed I tagged along to play Halo. My friend had gotten Halo: CE. But being little me, I noticed no difference. We didn't even follow the story either. The cutscenes we skipped. We were more of those who wanted gameplay challenges and exploiting the most fun way of traversing through the game. I remember Halo 3 being announced (still having no clue who Bungie were) and I watched the trailer and E3 teaser (or rather listened, due to the spectacular audio) on repeat every waking minute I was on the computer. Thank goodness Windows Media Player 10 cooperated. Then I figured out (how did I not know this from the announcement?) that Halo 3 would be an Xbox 360 exclusive. There stopped my Halo journey from growing further. I didn't even care about the campaign, or the Master Chief (I knew his name, don't shoot me) at that point, only the music and graphics.

Then at the announcement of ODST, I finally began to reminisce of summers past, regarding at how Halo revolved around my life during those summers. I picked up Halo: CE for the PC. And I did not regret it. I followed each mission with awe, the epic story slowly unravelling before me amid speculation and wonder. It was awesome.

Then I picked up Halo 2 for Windows Vista that winter. It remains my most used program on my PC, ever. At almost 700 hours, this program is used more than my primary IM client and my primary web browser! I don't know why it's so fun. Was it the fact that Micro$oft half-assed its port that makes me feel immensely pitiful? Maybe. Or was it the fact that this was THE BEST GAME EVER. OF ALL TIME (I got into RvB at that time, too).

Then another friend got an Xbox for Christmas. He had Halo 3 and ODST. He was more of a person who focussed on the more obvious and visual things that Halo had to offer, like graphics and gameplay mechanics. Although every time he'd comment on the audio, I'd mentally note that his opinion wasn't worth anything and that I'd come back to harm him later. I'm a horrible person for thinking that. ;) This further exploded my involvement into Halo. I was beginning to read the books, collect all things Halo, and even start to join communities and follow news updates of those similarly faithful. I'd gone from a person who ignored a game's beauty (and for that, should have been put to extreme harm), to a person who hides at least 3 references to the canon in any written work at school, to an annoying contributor who is proud to share and offer his opinion in regards to Halo to those who either don't care, or preferably, those that embrace and desire it.

Hopefully you've taken the hunches given and have interpreted that I own no Xbox. And I never have. Ever. And I don't look forward to purchasing one in any near future. I don't regret it one bit. :D You can usually find me playing H2V under gamertag Bryan Tran when I have no other commitments to attend to. ;)

tl;dr I am a very special person. By not reading, you just blew a chance at calling me the biggest weirdo in the world. ^_^

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2012, 05:43:49 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
Pshhh.... This guy ^^ ....

...Biggest weirdo in the world....
 :P
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 02:15:19 PM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2012, 10:47:45 AM »

That Gunslinger

• Veteran
  • Forerunner Tank: Awesomeness would ensue.
"The cutscenes were skipped"

Dear god, what kind of monster are you!?

Haha well at least you've changed your sinful ways. Welcome.
But buy an Xbawks dammit! There's a new trilogy on the horizon!
"Life is trial Riser."
"For little Elephants as well."

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2012, 05:02:45 AM »

Bryan

• Recruit
  • Heretic
    • G+
Thank you both!

Maybe I'll invest in an Xbox one day, I hear a new console is being readied.
As for leeching off my friend, it's very enjoyable.

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2012, 04:14:36 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
Yeah picking up a last-gen console is what I've done before, and if you aren't concerned about playing online it's pretty cheap. If you can get a HDD-equipped slim used or refurbed, they are good deals. I picked up ODST and Halo 3 for less than $10 on eBay w/ shipping.

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2012, 10:00:45 AM »

That Gunslinger

• Veteran
  • Forerunner Tank: Awesomeness would ensue.
I didn't think it was worth making a new topic for but, I'm back. I've missed this place. I don't regret going dark for a moment though. Halo 4 was completely unspoiled for me, and I loved every minute of it. Not sure if it's my favourite Halo yet, but it's definitely the best in pretty much every way. It felt like a wonderful mash-up of Halo, Vanquish, Mass Effect, and Portal. Now to try Multiplayer... and Spartan Ops... and Forge... oh the burden of choice.

And yeah I got Halo 4 in the mail a day early. Played a few missions and then went to sleep so I could appreciate the game to it's fullest. So I won't shout about spoilers just yet... *single tear*... Glass Harder was awesome too, oh and Forward Unto Dawn was way beyond my expectations.

Oh, and I'm going to get a move on and fund Community Evolved. I've been putting it off for weeks. It looks absolutely incredible by the way. Congratulations on passing your goal... like 5 times over.

I guess I need to trek through the backlog of articles and podcasts now don't I... it's good to be back. I mean, you guys remember me right? RIGHT!?
"Life is trial Riser."
"For little Elephants as well."

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2012, 10:35:11 AM »

Zereta

• Recruit
  • Heretic
Literally just signed up.

Hey guys, I'm Zereta! Real name's Sanjeev, so you can call me that if you want. Been a long time fan of Halo and a long time reader of Forward Unto Dawn (well, for as long as its been here). Never visited the forums here and I'm a lurker over at NeoGAF (where I originally heard about this site!) I live in Singapore and I think its a safe bet when I say that I am the biggest Halo fan in this country (Population of 4 Million, so not saying much)

My history with Halo is hilarious. I'm turning 18 on November 28th. In November of 2003, my dad got me a Xbox with Halo and some Tetris/Star Wars: Clone Wars combo game. And here's the thing: I hated Halo. I absolutely hated it. I got stuck on the second level, in the first Forerunner cave structure (You know, the "This cave is not a natural formation" cave), there's that jump you need to make to get into the lightbridge room and I just couldn't make that jump. I just couldn't, it completely floored me. (Mind you, I was really young) So, I just went back to playing Pokemon and my Gamecube afterwards.

In 2005, I went to a friend's birthday party. He too had an Xbox and they were playing a game that looked awfully familiar. It was multiplayer. Snowy landscape. Central area. Gravity lifts. Drop down into the Shotgun room. It was Lockout. And I absolutely loved it. It was the best gaming experience that I had. And then, it struck me.

That was Halo 2. I had Halo 1 at first.

The next day, I gave Halo 1 another shot. And I absolutely loved it. I made that jump, I switched on the lightbridge, I found the Flood, I hated the Library, I found out what the Halo's true purpose was. And then I blew it up. And I loved every second of it. It was mindblowing. I bought Halo 2and I loved that too. I loved the story (Yea, suck it haters). I was hyped for Halo 3 beyond comprehension. Due to the time zone differences, I skipped school so that I could get involved in the Iris ARG.

And that was the start of my relationship with Halo. It was the start of my relationship with gaming in a broader sense. And it has defined who I am today: Someone who plays a ton of games. Someone who is interested in the games industry and the way it works; even more interested in that than actually playing the games. Right now considering video game cinematography or game journalism as a career.

I've got Halo 4's LE preordered (In fact, I just got a message 5 minutes ago that I can go collect it) but right now, I'm in the midst of the biggest exam of my entire life: The Cambridge GCE A Level exams (UK users might be familiar). These exams will determine my future and doing well in this could secure my chance in getting a scholarship, bringing me one step closer to my dream of studying Film and/or Journalism in a US University. As a result, even though I'll have Halo 4 in my possession today, I can't, in good conscience, play it until November 28th, the day my exam ends and also, coincidentally, the day I turn 18.

So yep, that's me. I'll be hanging out around here a lot more from now on and posting and stuff. Halo is probably my second favorite fictional universe (The first being the Star Wars universe, because hey, that was the first defining series of stories in my life) so I'll be getting involved in a lot of the fictional discussion here.

And a small plug: I'm gonna be living out my interests in being a games writer via my own blog at msanjeev.tumblr.com. Its empty right now (Because exams) but I'll be kicking it off with a review on Halo 4! I'll be sure to post it here as well but do stay tuned there as well! I could use as much criticism (and praise,sure) as I can.

So yep, that's me 2.0. See you guys around!

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2012, 03:32:46 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
  • This is the way the world ends
Welcome Zereta!

I actually lived in Singapore for a little over a year of my life, granted I was only about three so I don't actually remember it. My mother tells me that I was sent to a local school and actually learned Chinese as my first language. However, like my memories, I don't remember a lick of Chinese, but I am told that if I ever tried to learn it again that it would come back to me.

I also have a dark secret I have kept from the others around here; up to the point of Halo and the original Xbox's release, I was a Nintendo hand-held gamer and proud owner of a Sony Playstation (1st generation) since I was about 11 when I bought the playstation with my own money. I was about 12 when I remember seeing the commercials for Halo: Combat Evolved and I remember telling myself "that game looks gay" because as a Human, I was resistant to change at first. Not long after, my best friend got an xbox for Christmas with the game included, I tried it out, and was instantly hooked; I kid you not, I would go over to his house everyday before school, after school and on the weekends just about everyday straight to play this game until we got all of the difficulty emblems for each mission.  8)

Anyway, it's always good to see fresh faces and opinions around here. I stayed up all night to finish Halo 4 and I can't wait to hear the thoughts from long-time fans about how they felt about it!
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2012, 04:44:58 PM »

Slightly Live

• Forward Staff
  • Rookie
  • Logical Plague
    • Forward Unto Dawn
A big welcome to Zereta, hope you enjoy the place! Star Wars and Halo? You are in good company here, sir!

And Gunslinger, good to see you back, dude.

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2012, 03:29:48 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
A HEARTY WELCOME TO YOU! :D
I don't have any dirty confessions to make (at least, on the topic at hand) Cause Halo was pretty much the only shooter I had played until I was like 15... Sorry...

Quote from: Zere
The Cambridge GCE A Level exams
Is that Like the OWL exams? :P

Quote from: Six
My mother tells me that I was sent to a local school and actually learned Chinese as my first language
I feel like this is a an exaggeration... You didn't know English when you were three years old? Thats like... Bad...

Also, Guns, its a pleasure to have you back :)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 03:30:38 PM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2013, 10:09:03 PM »

craZboy557

• Rookie
  • Being invisible, failing at sniping.
Well, I've already made a good couple posts, but hey, why not have a formal introduction. You can call me craZboy557. I'm not going to state my age, but suffice to say I assume I am one of the younger members of the site. My experience with gaming began at a very young age, before I was even five in fact, as my cousins had a nintendo 64, and I would watch them play video games like Super Mario 64, Star Fox, or Super Smash Bros. I'd even sometimes play, and even though I'd not have a clue what I was doing, I'd enjoy myself. I also played some games on my computer at home, and enjoyed them as well. Eventually, when I was five, there was a string of defining moments in my life. First, my older cousin gave me his old gameboy color, and a few games to go with it. I played it often, though I still enjoyed my computer games and playing outside sometimes. I also began to learn to read that year. This opened up new horizons in my enjoyment of games, and of course books as one of my favorite sources of entertainment, which persists to this day. Later that year, on vacation with a different group of cousins than the ones mentioned before, two of the best things to ever happen to me occured. 1: One of my cousins give me their old copy of Pokemon blue. This rather swiftly moves me from having preemptively presumed that pokemon was boring and stupid to playing it as much as I could, something which I'm sad to say has notably faded in recent years, though I tend to ensure it never fades completely. 2: My cousins expose me to Halo: Combat Evolved. It strikes me that death is a thing, I learn that headshots are lethal, and that halo is awesome.
      Once my mother learns what rated M means I am somewhat hindered in my ability to play Halo, though my interest remains. Eventually I also have some experience with Halo 2, and play some custom games with the previous group of cousins, though refrain from playing the campaign, assuming that it would be harder. The next year, I give campaign a try, and while I can actually kill things I never make it past the level The Sacred Icon. I do take a liking to metropolis. Several years later, I had still never played halo 3, but I am able to play my cousin's copy of ODST, which quickly gains its current spot of best campaign ever, of all time. Somehow, I still had remembered to take headshots with headshot capable weapons, my favorite weapon the Carbine, and that red means that it's a BRUTE plasma rifle. My cousin teaches me the n00b combo.
      During all this, I had gotten a DS for one christmas, gotten the 4th gen of pokemon, found several online flash game sites, found halopedia and proceded to spoil everything about everything after finding it on a google search for "gauss cannon," developed a passion for science, realized I didn't believe in god, began reading tons of book series, sometimes several at once, began playing with legos, learn that my awesome cousin who introduced me to halo is a cutscene skipping n00b, and probably some other stuff that I forgot to mention. By the way, none of that is in order.
      Visting my cousins who have halo again, I get to play just a little bit of halo: reach. My cousin keeps being a n00b and insists on "speedrunning." The quotes aren't from unfamiliarity with the term, but from the fact that what he was doing was more charging into enemie fire on legendary and getting shot to death. My second year of middle school, I earn my own Xbox and a copy of Halo: Reach, and after it finishes downloading overnight, I get up, still a little woozy from a wicked cold, and play what I had been literally waiting years for. At this moment now, I have every halo save for the original and halo 4, at least until I replace my current copy. I pride myself on intelegence, still am a huge reader, read several webcomics that I'm desperate to have someone to talk to about, and follow several differnt sources of Halo and/or Bungie news, information and entertainment, and in conversation my speech varies between intellegent and more than a little but pretentious, slightly  insane, and completely about video games.
      How're you doing.
Unbelievably bitchin' Lego dropships don't just build themselves.

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2013, 10:13:02 PM »

craZboy557

• Rookie
  • Being invisible, failing at sniping.
Oh, and also, a lighthearted suck it to all of you whose story begins with "I used to not like halo." :)
Unbelievably bitchin' Lego dropships don't just build themselves.